Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reports on service updates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Gothenburgian
Yesterday i flew KIX-HEL-GOT in D. Upon check-in at KIX (i have platinum), the attendant told me that business was almost full and she was sorry that she couldn't put me in a seat without a neighbour. ...
I have noticed this for a while on the long hauls, but that is the first time I hear they confirm it.

It seems they also programmed the seat reservation system for this:
I had a long time standing seat reservation of 1A on a short haul A320 later today. Did checkin and got message "we couldn't give you your seat". When I checked what seat they gave me, I was moved to 6A (!). Trying to change this by myself was impossible since 6 rows of business was full (yeah right...in euro trafffic?) Asked at the airport, they didn't know why, but had no trouble moving me back to row 1 (1C).
So what happened was that someone at AY decided to bumb me out of 1A. At check in, they automatically moved me to row 6 where they could seat me with not only middle seat blocked but also all three seats blocked.

Apparently 1A is also plat, so I am sorry to steal your free seats away.. But they were mine to begin with ;-)
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:02 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Just checked in AY52 PEK-HEL. Flying Y (shock, horror! did upgrade HEL-PEK). At the check-in the lady said she can block the seat next to me, if I am willing to give up the exit row seat. Which I did. Now sipping espresso in the empty CX lounge.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:42 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SPBanker
... in the empty CX lounge.
Posting from the bizarrely full HEL schengen lounge...

Flown BKK-HEL today, just want to add to my recent comment about scaled down service. It seems it is only the midnight meal (HKG) that is scaled down. BKK had full meals with starter and main dish arrived later plated separately.

The scale down still is valid for other stuff, like tha lack of utensils. They have added the spoon to stir your coffee though, but nothing for other parts of the meal.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Ed Size
This is more or less standard since years, you got one hot meal with no sides and no choice and some desert - thats it.

Why waste your time with food when you can have drinks? It´s less then two hours so thats kind of OK.
I've actually heard from AY reps that according to them on routes such as TXL - HEL their main concern is to offer J pax a hot meal. Of course the lack of even an el cheapo salad is rather strange...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:37 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

New security announcement

They seem to have "upgraded" the security announcement video on the l/h routes. The previous version with a calm Finn speaking simple and precise instructions is replaced with a perky american voice over electric guitar solo...

All local language parts have been removed. No manual security announcement in the language of the destination is made either.

This "upgrade" is hard for me to understand the reasons behind. The calm and precise announcement was a trademark for AY. And with only 2 destinanions in america, why choose an american accent?!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:37 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Apparently 1A is also plat, so I am sorry to steal your free seats away.. But they were mine to begin with ;-)
Anyway..
1A arrived last of everyone, looking like an average japanese transit passenger to me. He didn't want to share row 1 with me though, and asked to be seated in 2A, where 2A-C now curiously was empty despite the "full cabin".
Go figure?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:38 am

So AY has announced several planned updates of services and equipment.
  • Marimekko designed fabrics
  • Renewed J-meals with Pekka Terävä and Tomi Björk
  • Full-flat seats on 4 A340's

Add to this list the possible, rumoured, unofficial, new status recognitions scheme.

I can see they are already using new campaign material on the site, where they promote meals, full flats, how much they care for the travellers individual needs and a few other core values. The pictures seems to depict some marimekko fabrics already. I didn't see any of this onboard, and I am asking FT'ers to report any sightings of new stuff or rumours on where/when/what is happening in this make-over.
Does anyone have any updates on the " Full-Flat seats on 4 A340's"
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by eireman
Does anyone have any updates on the " Full-Flat seats on 4 A340's"
According to original press release they will start installing new seats for four A340s and those A330s still having old seats starting in January 2014 and planned completion is in autumn 2014.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Did anyone noticed that they now give salt & pepper shakers with every meal?

Also for the meal you now have the choice between salad OR soup, not like before salad AND soup. The already pretty poor cheese selection, is also cut down to two pieces.

And I found it a bit bizarre that I got three knifes with every meal, but only one fork - makes no sense to me.

I had a little chat with a FA when I try to get some sweets from the galley (no sweets there anymore) and she said "They changed a lot recently, not all to good"
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Also for the meal you now have the choice between salad OR soup, not like before salad AND soup. The already pretty poor cheese selection, is also cut down to two pieces.

And I found it a bit bizarre that I got three knifes with every meal, but only one fork - makes no sense to me.

I had a little chat with a FA when I try to get some sweets from the galley (no sweets there anymore) and she said "They changed a lot recently, not all to good"
Noticed and didn't like.

The shakers are good to have but they are plastic and is nowhere near what any other J class I fly offer. And on "midnight menu" there is even less choice - you can choose between soup or main meal. If you want to eat main meal you cannot have any starter of any kind.

The odd knife is for cutting and buttering the bread. It is odd they deemed it necessary to have cutlery for the bread when none is deemed needed for cheese and desert...

I just ask for new forks for the cheese and desert, but they are not prepared for that, they can only give you a new full set (including all the knifes) and the paper napkin.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:37 am

Noticed and didn't like.

The shakers are good to have but they are plastic and is nowhere near what any other J class I fly offer.
At least you don t have to ask for salt & pepper anymore.

IMHO AY is now offering a very, very good product for the price they sell it ex PRG, WAW or all the other places where they do promotions for around 1600€-1700€. But not for the price they want to have if you book a regulare fare. I never used my company fare for nearly two years, and if I would I would complain.

Since I m only go to BKK I have a nearly 100% record of new A330 - so I can t complain.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:12 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Funny, my conclusion is the exact opposite - even though the prices are lower (for the campaign savvy), the product now offers less value for money.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:24 am

the product now offers less value for money.
Sure, but you pay substantial less, and the cuttings are not too big.

Anyway, I will take AY as long as they are one of the few airlines wich offer a dayflight from BKK to Europe.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton

That's not worthy calling longhaul business class anymore. It would be more honest for AY to rename their premium cabin "economy plus" or similar.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:30 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Sure, but you pay substantial less, and the cuttings are not too big.
I am usually in A340 to HKG with "midnight menu", and I find cuttings to be substantial. Did BKK-HEL the other day and it admittedly has better service (lounge situation is total crap though)

Originally Posted by mosburger
That's not worthy calling longhaul business class anymore. It would be more honest for AY to rename their premium cabin "economy plus" or similar.
I was actually thinking "Comfort class", which is the name they already use on the leisure flights. They are going for the segment of travellers who might find AY J "outstanding", since they are comparing it to the econ seats in 757 and alikes. They are effectively turning J into Y with a better seat.

Maybe a preparation for Y+ they are said to launch then A350 arrives,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.