Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to enter the transatlantic joint business with AA, BA, IB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to enter the transatlantic joint business with AA, BA, IB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Have to say that 150k for r/t flight in J is pretty good value, especially taking into account the amount of points you normally need for mere upgrades...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:37 pm

Finnair business class flights to JFK and other AY transatlantic code share flights to the US are now eligible for 30 000 extra Avios points per R/T in the traditional BA points booster campaign until mid-December. See the BA Forum.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
AA: 1 r/t = 30k extra AAmiles F or J, 15k in BA WT+ (Y+)
AY: 1 r/t to JFK = minimum 15k AY+ points, best value with cheapest ticket
BA: 1 r/t = 30k extra Avios in F or J, 15k in WT+ (Y+)
IB: ??
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by remymartin
AA: 1 r/t = 30k extra AAmiles F or J, 15k in BA WT+ (Y+)
AY: 1 r/t to JFK = minimum 15k AY+ points, best value with cheapest ticket
BA: 1 r/t = 30k extra Avios in F or J, 15k in WT+ (Y+)
IB: ??
IB offer is now out, may be targeted though: http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/08...-return-promo/
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I just experienced this with a transatlantic flight were I had AA tickets on BA and finnair planes (due to the creative travel agent).

The odd thing was inability to check in to the last leg of the trip (LHR -> HEL on AY) at the time I checked into the transatlantic BA flight.

The BA on line check in said not possible. The AA on line check in diverted me to the BA site, as did the Finnair web page. The BA check in desk at the airport could print a boarding card, but couldnt change the seat from the pre allocated middle seat. The BA lounge customer service desk at LHR couldnt do anything and said I had to go to the finnair desk in flight connections, but that is only open 3 hours before the flight (I had a 5 hour layover in LHR).

Eventually I changed the seat myself as the AY on line check in started to let me check in, presumably because the transatlantic sector was now flown and not valid for check in. I managed to move myself to an aisle and download a new boarding card using the lounge wifi.

A small inconvenience, but I wouldnt have been that happy sitting in a middle seat for the last 2.5 hours of a 17 hour trip.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
https://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/ajb-plus-benefits

Has anybody tried to book these award tickets with fewer points to North America?
It says: Reduced award prices are valid when flying between Europe and North America on flights operated by Finnair, American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia.

But when looking for the booking engine, I can only find reduced award flights only to JFK (80 000/150 000). When trying to check other cities (MIA, DTW, LAX, SFO, ORD....... ) it says that you need to have 124 000 / 198 000 points, so as normal.

Is it really only flights to JFK, am I doing something wrong, or have they forgotten to change the amount of points needed for award ticket....
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I was searching fares of Economy Value -tickets to JFK but there is no option as Value available anymore.

Finnair.fi offering only Economy Saver (50% Plus Points) on AY5/6.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I was searching fares of Economy Value -tickets to JFK but there is no option as Value available anymore.

Finnair.fi offering only Economy Saver (50% Plus Points) on AY5/6.
Seems so. There are two different flexible economy prices that are way more expensive. Though if you are going in this year you can get 100% points anyways: http://www.finnair.com/FI/GB/ajb-plus-benefits
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:39 am

Yep, I know those rules for 15000 Plus points campaign but I was hunting some nice and cheap MR for spring 2014.

So, maybe I take that Value ticket to some Asian destination cause they messed up reservation systems to US.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Yep, I know those rules for 15000 Plus points campaign but I was hunting some nice and cheap MR for spring 2014.

So, maybe I take that Value ticket to some Asian destination cause they messed up reservation systems to US.
Sir, how about AY J from some European destination via HEL to CKG & back and then the CX J offer CKG - HKG - LHR - HKG - CKG inbetween?

Intuition already calculated it not to be that exceptional but maybe worthwhile looking at?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Saturne-79
https://www.finnair.com/INT/GB/ajb-plus-benefits
Has anybody tried to book these award tickets with fewer points to North America?
I managed to book an award ticket on BA for reduced number of points by calling Finnair Plus. I wanted to finally try first class on BA, and 235 000 points + ~350€ on taxes is a nice deal I think. The agent could only find one award seat in F for entire April or May from West coast to LHR so A380 on HEL-LAX and B744 on LAS-HEL it is then.

More on the topic: After the Atlantic joint venture youth tickets to Americas on Finnair are no more available either. I used some ok-priced oneway youth tickets many times but not possible anymore.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
Sir, how about AY J from some European destination via HEL to CKG & back and then the CX J offer CKG - HKG - LHR - HKG - CKG inbetween?

Intuition already calculated it not to be that exceptional but maybe worthwhile looking at?
It sounds great for MR but Sir burger, CX J gives only 125% for AY Plus.

AY's J with 200% + extra 25% sounds more attractive .
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Now that this has been in place for almost 2 years, it is perhaps time to wrap-up a bit here. What do you experts think this has brought about to us as customers?

I haven't experienced much other benefits for us than more destination options perhaps. Well okay, then perhaps also the FFP game side-effects, such as booking AA codeshare sometimes cheaper than directly on AY and getting more points to AY or viceversa

Benefits for customers of the four airlines include:
•Coordinated schedules on joint business routes, providing customers with more flight choices and more convenient times
•Members of the four airlines' frequent flyer programs – Iberia Plus, American Airlines AAdvantage®, British Airways Executive Club and Finnair Plus – will be able to earn points or miles on the new codeshare flights
•Dedicated support teams for customers transferring at seven of the airlines' hubs: New York JFK, London Heathrow, Madrid, Chicago, Miami, Dallas and Los Angeles.
•Online check-in and boarding pass printing with either the airline operating the flight, or the website of the airline used to book travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.