Wiki Posts
Search

Mutli-Hop Routings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: bmi, Finnair
Mutli-Hop Routings

I recently flew MAD–TLL one way, and the cheapest route was via HEL and BMA (yes, in that order!)

This is presumably a weirdness introduced by FlyBe, but with status being available by the number of legs flown, not just distance, I wondered what other weird options might be available, and did a little playing on ITA with extended routing codes.

I can find quite a few 4 flight options within Europe without an overnight layover (e.g. TLL–BMA–OSL-HEL-*, TLL–HEL–TXL–NUE–HAM, TLL–HEL–GVA–MAD–BRU).

Just to see what the outside limits might be, I also played with TLL–SYD. I can get a 5 flight version of TLL–BMA–OSL–HEL–BKK–SYD, but I also note that I can get a different 5 flight version from VNO of VNO–HEL–BKK–USM–HKG–SYD. That would imply the 7 flight version of TLL–BMA–OSL–HEL–BKK–USM–HKG–SYD would theoretically be possible, but I can't get ITA to return that!

I'm unlikely to do anything quite that crazy, and I've never been one for mileage runs/segment runs, but if I've to fly within Europe anyway, then turning it into an 8 flight return trip could work quite nicely if it appeared at a reasonable price. Or are these always going to be more expensive than the more direct route? (With the ones I've looked at it always is, but then I wouldn't have expected the original MAD–HEL–BMA–TLL route to be cheapest...)

Last edited by salvadors; Apr 1, 2012 at 12:05 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I was even offered by the booking engine TLL-OUL-HEL which, for some strange reason I did NOT take
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder how many transit passengers they have at OUL... But wouldn't you be excited to see their new terminal, with jetbridges and all.

How was this priced, a lot more expensive than a direct flight?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder how many transit passengers they have at OUL... But wouldn't you be excited to see their new terminal, with jetbridges and all.

for instance tallinna helsinki via bromma was only 9€ more expensive
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005

Same price to the cent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.