Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Plaza, A Fairmont Managed Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
How much is "a good dollar"? We spent New Years Eve at the Trump International with two other families in a couple of their two-bedroom suites. We had a great stay. The suites are basically two-bedroom condos with a full kitchen - expensive, but I thought it was well worth it. Fantastic views of Central Park and the city over Columbus Circle. If you're into cooking there's a Whole Foods Market right next door and the savings on meals would go a long way towards defraying the costs.

Check out www.lhw.com, they have various deals for free nights and suites. There's also a new 'Leaders Club' coming soon that may work to your advantage.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:18 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Trump Int'l Hotel promo -- Suite Sundays

Book and stay a 1 BR Exec City Suite ($845), 1 BR Park Suite ($975) or 1 BR Exec Park Suite ($1225) at the rack rate provided, and get either Saturday night, or Sunday night free.

Each suite can accommodate up to 5 ppl, with full sofa bed, and room for a roll away. No extra charge for additional people nor rollaways. The two Exec suites, (CV and PV) feature fully equipped kitchens.

This is a good value for NYC.

Alternately, the Inter-Continental The Barclay is a good value if you have a free weekend night certificate and use it on a suite.

1 BR suites seem to be available at the Hilton NY and Waldorf=Astoria for about $300 USD a night; there is the DoubleTree Times Square (all suites); and more expensive, there is the Waldorf=Towers with a Virtuoso rate of $479 for a 1 BR Exec Suite which includes access to Astoria Lounge (free breakfast, non-alcoholic beverage and even canapes). 2 BR Exec suites are $900.

Finally, you might have luck at the Sherry-Netherlands Hotel, and IIRC, the Pierre has a promotion on extended stays in their Executive suites.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called the Fairmont and asked for alternatives.

Westin Essex House and Palace Hotel were 2 that were mentioned.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: AC.E, SPG.P, FPC.Plt, HH.G
You may be glad you didn't use your free nights/upgrade certs on the Plaza . There might be some useful suggestions in Luxury forum and will be easier to find once search is back up. In the meantime, you can start with these on some NYC properties and Plaza alternatives;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389616
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338051
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351386
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Fairmont Plat, Northwest
The Peninsula rocks.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
They're back.......

I got an email announcement that the Plaza will be re-opened as a Fairmont in 2007 following the renovations. Here's the first paragraph:

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Inc. ("Fairmont")
(TSX/NYSE: FHR) is pleased to announce that it has entered into an agreement
to manage The Plaza, one of New York's, and the world's, most renowned and
prestigious hotel properties. The Plaza is currently undergoing an extensive
$350 million renovation which, when completed, will feature 282 spacious,
fully renovated luxury hotel rooms, including 152 condo hotel units. The
restored Plaza will also contain elegant residential condominiums and high-end
retail space. Subject to certain terms and conditions being finalized,
Fairmont will assume management responsibilities of the hotel and condo hotel
when The Plaza reopens in early 2007, in time to celebrate the property's
centennial anniversary.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
New York's Plaza, a Jazz Age landmark, reveals itself after $400m Fairmont revamp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/mar/18/hotels.usa

As far as cups of tea are concerned, it is hardly a bargain. A pot of Earl Grey in the morning at the Plaza hotel's marble-clad Palm Court restaurant will set you back $12 (Ł5.96) - and that doesn't include any chocolate digestives.

The century-old New York landmark on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Central Park South reopened its doors this month after a three-year renovation costing more than $400m. Split into luxurious private residences and a five-star $1,000-a-night hotel, it is staggeringly decadent.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:37 am

Using Fairmont Certs @ The Plaza?

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has used/tried to use a room upgrade/free night certificate from Fairmont at the Plaza hotel in New York since it reopened. Their website (http://www.fairmont.com/fpc/limitedaccess) says that the certs are at the discretion of the hotel, so I'm wondering how their discretion has been for people. IE: is that their way of saying "when hell freezes over" or is it more of a "if we aren't full" sort of thing. I understand I wouldn't be getting new year's eve or the US Open, but what about the middle of February or something?

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anyone knows, since it affects how many stays I'll make with Fairmont by the end of the year.

Michael
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
I know some folks that have been successful using suite up grades and comp night certificates at The Plaza.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold
$25 Food coupons good at the Plaza?

Has anyone used them at the Plaza in NYC? I stayed there last week and the front desk said they could be used but I thought I read here and heard from Fairmont President's Club CSR that they weren't usable. Can you stack them? Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:12 pm

see below

Last edited by kokinos; Mar 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm
Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Not good at the Plaza. You can find the limits by visiting the website on the back of the certs.

Complimentary Dining/Willow Stream Spa Certificate

*Certificate cannot be redeemed at the following restaurants:
The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge: Oka Sushi
The Fairmont Kea Lani: Nick's Fishmarket
The Fairmont Pierre Marques: Café Pierre
The Fairmont San Jose: Grill on the Alley

*Certificate cannot be redeemed at the following Hotels:
The Plaza
http://fairmont.com/fpc/limitedaccess
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold
Thanks much.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:29 pm

Hows the Plaza NYC? Anyone get an upgrade?

Heading to the city shortly and would like to know about this hotel. I would love to use a suite upgrade cert but this is the only hotel you aren't able too. Is the regular room nice? How have Platinums and Premiers been treated at this location?

The room costs about 3 times more then a nice 4star hotel for the dates I'm going and even though I have it booked I am considering cxl it and saving a considerable amount of $$$. Are the complimentary rides in the Rolls Royce Phantom easy to get when you want to head out for dinner?

Should I ask for a specific section of the hotel for my room to be located?

Lots of questions but any info regarding this property will be appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos
Heading to the city shortly and would like to know about this hotel. I would love to use a suite upgrade cert but this is the only hotel you aren't able too. Is the regular room nice? How have Platinums and Premiers been treated at this location?

The room costs about 3 times more then a nice 4star hotel for the dates I'm going and even though I have it booked I am considering cxl it and saving a considerable amount of $$$. Are the complimentary rides in the Rolls Royce Phantom easy to get when you want to head out for dinner?

Should I ask for a specific section of the hotel for my room to be located?

Lots of questions but any info regarding this property will be appreciated.
The only thing that I've noticed available at the Plaza is NFAF, and even with the $200 off, its' still running over $400 per night for a base room. You can try reservations, see if they'll make the exception for you.. be honest and tell them you're going to cancel the reservation and go elsewhere if you don't. I'm sure they would be more than happy to upgrade you given that they may lose business otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.