Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping at the Grand del Mar?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Tipping at the Grand del Mar?

Looking for advice on tipping valets. Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jim055
Looking for advice on tipping valets. Thanks.
I'd generally say $5-$10. I'm sure some people give more, but for simply getting your car (or similar) I think that's sufficient.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$2 is sufficient imho unless they are loading your bags or its pouting rain or smth else unusual going on but its a controversial topic and ymmv...
Why would del mar be any different from other hotels?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by azepine00
$2 is sufficient imho unless they are loading your bags or its pouting rain or smth else unusual going on but its a controversial topic and ymmv...
Why would del mar be any different from other hotels?
Some people would argue that a higher tip is customary at more expensive / luxury hotels (the Grand Del Mar arguably is among the most expensive Fairmonts), though I agree it's somewhat subjective.

Personally I usually tip porters $5 if I tip (though I usually try to minimize the occasions).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Drives me nuts to pay big charges for valet parking and then give the valet $2-$5 tip every time they get the car for me. At my recent stay at the Grand Del Mar, I self-parked. It was free and about a 2 minute walk from the front door of the hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:14 pm

Does not exactly cover your question, but it is informative:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ry-region.html

For valet parking (anywhere), I usually tip $3 - $5 per drop off / retrieval.

The biggest pain is having to have some smaller bills available. It would be a lot easier if I could just have them add it to my bill and then they give it to the valet staff...
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'd generally say $5-$10. I'm sure some people give more, but for simply getting your car (or similar) I think that's sufficient.
You are very generous! That said, at a different hotel chain (Kimpton - Hotel Palomar in San Diego) several years ago, I tipped the drivers $20 on the way out to skydiving, and they left us a bottle of champagne in the room when we made it back with a personalized card - a very kind / cool gesture.

For me, $2-3 per pickup across the US, no matter what chain you are staying at, is plenty fine in my book.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it depends on the city, type/category of establishment, and conditions, but the local norm seems to be normally $1-2 per pickup. I tip more in rain, very cold weather or if the valet removes snow from the car or scrapes (ice off of) the windows. Once at a country club brunch, the valet parkers washed my car at their own initiative (and therefore got a big tip). If the center console is open or they've messed with my electronics settings (radio, dashboard display etc. versus adjustments of seat and mirrors), I don't tip.

I expect the car to be returned to me with the heat or AC running depending on the season so that I get into a vehicle which has been pre-heated or pre-cooled for me. I also expect the car to be delivered to the front entrance as appropriate with no crazy driving when I'm watching. If I'm handed the keys and told that the car is across the street or in the parking lot, there's no tip unless the valets help me with luggage or otherwise do something useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.