Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I agree on observations above. I have had a couple stays here so far and will likely be staying here frequently over the next several months or years.
I tried to reach out to the property via email a couple times with questions and suggestions but never got any response.

On my first stay and after I signed up for the PC I was recognized as the PC member of the day. I was told I was given a room upgrade, amenity, and a coupon for two drinks.

The coupon was included with my room key and was only good for that night. I did ask to extend it to my next stay that week and it was.

I had booked a deluxe room and that appears to be what I got, no room upgrade.
I received no amenity. Since I wasn't entitled to any of that anyway I didn't complain but seems pretty cheezy to me.

Room was average and typical of an aged Hilton. I did not receive any complimentary bottled water in the room (even in a "deluxe" room) but had two large bottles of Fiji water offered in the room for $7.50 each.

On my next visit I did have a single complimentary bottle of water in the room and I asked at the front desk if I could get any more. They directed me to the concierge desk where they gave me a couple. I haven't tried calling for any to be brought up as I fear being charged for it.

I even emailed the GM to introduce myself as a likely frequent guest but again, no response I guess I have to earn my way up the ladder and even then not really get any enhanced property amenities for my status... I would stay at the Marriott up the street and enjoy much better treatment as a Platinum Premier but it's a much farther walk... Oh well.
What I would do in this situation is to go into your fpc profile and look for your past stays. Add some comments as above and then see what kind of reaction you get.

I've done this for some great stays where I wanted Fairmont to recognize great service and in every case have received a personalized reply.

Seeing you are going to be a frequent guest, you might copnsider the Fairmont Visa. You can rack up some serious points and other bennies with this.

If you do not get a satisfactory reply, poke the FPC line and see what they recommend. Very competent helpful folks there I have found so far.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I was asked to complete a survey so I mentioned the above comments and did check Yes to request a response. That was a few days ago, so far nothing. I could go downstairs to the exec offices I guess and bang on some doors but I don't want to have to try so hard .

Yes, I did apply for the credit card a couple weeks ago and look forward to using it but was not approved immediately (as I usually am with Chase cards). I just recently cancelled my Marriott card so I should have credit limit room. I am also a Chase Private Client member. I sent in a secure message to Chase and they said they would look into it... (a few days ago). Meanwhile I am missing out on Fairmont points, and we wanted to collect 2 free nights for the Peace Hotel in Shanghai when we are there in mid-April but time is running short to qualify and receive those free nights.

Would have been a more rewarding experience if I went to the Marriott down the street with my PP status but the Fairmont is much closer to my work.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I guess I meant to be a bit clearer, not a survey, but when the stay is posted, log in and go to "My Stay History" and select the hotel and stay under "Comment on my Experience"

I know those go to the hotel and when I recognized certain staff, I got a direct personal thank you note from them mentioning my comments.

That gets the kind of attention you want.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The bison sliders in the bar are totally awesome!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
This time I am in a Fairmont Suite Queen Accessible via my suite upgrade cert from the credit card. The living/dining room is huge with a very big Samsung TV. I wish the larger TVs were placed in the regular rooms. The TVs there are pretty small by today's standards.

There is a big wrap around sofa and an end chair. Also a round table with 4 chairs. Great place for a party The bedroom is somewhat small and narrow but given the bathroom is quite roomy and there is a large walk in closet, the bedroom size is fine. The accessible nature of the room didn't cause me much trouble, i.e. there is a regular bathtub, not a flat open floor shower like some accessible rooms. Even though it is on the 9th floor and wrapped around the elevator column there was very little elevator and street noise. I can hear the elevator only in the morning like a very faint and distant trolley. It is behind the bathroom and closet so can be closed off to further muffle the sound.

I had dinner at the bar and although I was tempted by the recommended bison sliders I went with the grass fed beef burger which was awesome. Could do without the buttery topping on the bun though. I also got the mussels but they used a carmelized onion and bacon sauce which just doesn't go with seafood. My server in the bar was superb and very attentive, restaurant/bar manager also stopped by. I will be trying the duck in the Pyramid restaurant tonight. Yep, burning up my F&B certs before they expire!

I inquired about whether I really got the upgrade I thought I was offered on my first visit and found out I did not get it but they happily upgraded my next reservation to a Deluxe room. The Deluxe is only slightly larger, that's all.

This was my first stay as a Premier so not expecting any different treatment but will see what happens when I make Platinum and see if I get more comp upgrades. Hoping to visit the Gold floors someday but not willing to use my cert here for that!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:13 pm

So, I did end up using my Gold cert at Fairmont Dallas since I am not planning on paying for a Deluxe room anywhere else in the near future. This week the standard rooms were sold out so had to pay for Deluxe anyway, therefore why not use the expiring cert.

I was put in a standard Gold room. I got one of the 4 smallest rooms on the floor and it is smaller than the standard rooms I get that aren't Gold. The decor is newer but otherwise very similar to the standard room. The bathroom is newer with a walk-in shower with rainfall showerhead and a lighted rim mirror. As a Platinum I usually get an upgrade to a bigger corner room so I was disappointed they didn't give me a little bump to a bigger room when it is clearly far from sold out.

The lounge is very nice and very lightly used. The breakfast was better than I expected. There were eggs benedict, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, muesli with berries, numerous sliced fruits, breads, cheeses, meats, smoked salmon, many juices, and so on.... Probably one of the best lounge breakfasts I have found in the states.

Evening spread was good. The two hot items were simple... some crab & cheese(?) balls and some chicken strips. Grilled veggies, bread, cheeses, meats, a little fruit. Honor bar of course.

Dessert spread was very nice... about 4-5 different items.

I wouldn't pay extra for the Gold floor but would appreciate it as a comp upgrade

I don't like to stay in the North Tower because it is farther from the fitness center and I have to walk through the middle of the lobby or ballroom floor in my workout gear to get to the South Tower elevator bank to the fitness center.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I know parking is $30 a day, but are there any other close options to the hotel that are cheaper, parkades or lot parking? If so, how much are they, approximately? Thx for the help!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I know parking is $30 a day, but are there any other close options to the hotel that are cheaper, parkades or lot parking? If so, how much are they, approximately? Thx for the help!
Try this site:
http://dallas.bestparking.com/

I have always been looking for 24hr parking options nearby but pretty much everything is surface lots and most say they don't accept overnight parking and their rates treat a "day" as until midnight, but there are SOME that treat a "day" as 24 hrs. The 611 N. Field St lot is showing me $3 for a 24 hr stay over a Sat night?!

The site above indicates a couple lots nearby that seem to go on a 24hr rate. These are surface lots so your car is open to whomever is roaming the streets late at night. I have never felt comfortable about leaving my car overnight on a surface lot, but I have done it a couple times without incident.

The only decent garage lots I know of are several blocks away so would not be convenient
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Try this site:
http://dallas.bestparking.com/

I have always been looking for 24hr parking options nearby but pretty much everything is surface lots and most say they don't accept overnight parking and their rates treat a "day" as until midnight, but there are SOME that treat a "day" as 24 hrs. The 611 N. Field St lot is showing me $3 for a 24 hr stay over a Sat night?!

The site above indicates a couple lots nearby that seem to go on a 24hr rate. These are surface lots so your car is open to whomever is roaming the streets late at night. I have never felt comfortable about leaving my car overnight on a surface lot, but I have done it a couple times without incident.

The only decent garage lots I know of are several blocks away so would not be convenient
Thx so much for your help! This may prove really useful to us.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:40 am

Ok I did some recon of the parking lot in question. It is a surface lot at the corner of Ross and Field St., on the east side of that corner, within 1 block of the Fairmont. Lot entrances on either street. There is a side door to the Fairmont on Ross St. that is open during waking hours.

Prices are:
$5 for nightly parking until 9am next day (arrive after 5pm??)
$12 for 24 hour period. Can purchase up to 4 days at one time.
You buy a ticket at the machines and put it on your dashboard.
I am always a bit leary of leaving the car overnight in the open in Dallas but I have not had a problem the couple times I have done it and I walk the streets around the lots frequently and never see any smashed glass so I think it is OK.

Many lots do NOT allow overnight parking. This one appears to be a rare exception so a great option.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:33 am

So after about 2 years of about 150 nights there, I scored my first complimentary suite upgrade. I am not sure why, it wasn't unusually busy.

The only time I got a gold upgrade was with the Visa cert.

Also after that amount of business, I have never met any senior member of staff there. I initially tried to contact the GM through email a couple times, but no response. All the valets and bellhops know me by name though

I am going to miss losing my Marriott/SPG Platinum (and downgrading from Hilton Diamond to Gold) [my boss is an SPG fan and tells me to try the Westin]. I am just burning off the last of my Marriott points for an Italy vacation. No Fairmonts there... I did shop around through the multitude of Accors hotels but no material elite benefits so no incentive to book with them other than collecting points.

I'll try and use my Fairmont nights next year for a jaunt through Canada I guess... I hold out faint hope someday I can use Fairmont nights at (decent) Accors properties... just a dream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.