Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone get burned by free night blackout dates released AFTER you reserve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

It is quite irritating that blackout dates for the year do not come out until slightly before or after the year end. How do you plan in advance around them when they aren't published?

I booked some reservations and asked to put free nights on those reservations. The agent checked blackout dates but since none were published, she applied the certificates.

I asked if I was in danger of being cut off when the blackout dates came out and she was pretty sure they would still honor it since they had not released them at the time of the reservation.

Now, one month before my stay, the property has contacted me and told me they won't honor the free cert since one of my nights hits a blackout period. They say they are "sold out" but are willing to honor my reservation if I put up 400EUR for the night (so I guess they aren't sold out, esp. since I am holding a legitimate reservation for the room). At least they have contacted me in advance....

I expressed my dissatisfaction and they said they would get back to me next week... otherwise I will check back with the FPC desk.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you can't get it resolved, I would call this breach of contract by the hotel and/or FPC. If this was in the U.S., you could file a complaint with the FTC, but I don't know what kind of consumer protections the E.U. offers.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Sorry to hear about that. I've never heard of such a scenario.

It would be helpful to know what property / dates you're talking about and whether you're using free nights only or have a mix of free and paid nights.

But I'd tend to agree that the hotel should be required to honour the free night certs. Getting FPC involved if necessary may be a good suggestion.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It would be helpful to know what property / dates you're talking about and whether you're using free nights only or have a mix of free and paid nights.
I'll hold off on naming the offender until I see if they resolve this satisfactorily
(and compensate me for the pain and suffering.... jk)

I am trying to use 3 free nights out of 3 nights with only the first night now in the blackout range. All certs were available and applied months ago so the total amount shows as $0.
Given the blackout validation check occurs before applying the certs, the certs applied seems to indicate they have been allowed by FPC. I presume the hotel is checking with FPC...

I did let FPC know when I booked that they need to get properties to send in their blackout dates before rooms go on sale for that year!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I had a 4 night booking at Le Montreux Palace where I used both a free night and a suite upgrade. At the time of booking, the dates were blacked out, and I didn't notice and the FPC agent didn't check before making the booking. I later noticed that my dates were blacked out. I received my upgrade and free night without issue and nobody at the hotel ever mentioned anything about it.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I got word back from the property (finally) that they will honor the reservation and certificates.

Just a word to the wise, if you are ever booking into the next year and blackout dates are not published yet, implore that FPC get them from properties earlier and ask to have a note applied to your reservation that the certificate will be accepted.

Of course, FPC may get shy about allowing certs to be applied before the blackout dates come out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.