Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont President's Club MASTER FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:34 am

Is it possible to return the standard room ovations certificates that I redeemed with Chase and exchange them for suite/fairmont gold ovations certificates if I have enough points for the difference? If so, who would I contact? I did not see anything about returning reward redemption's.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by californiavintagegirl
Is it possible to return the standard room ovations certificates that I redeemed with Chase and exchange them for suite/fairmont gold ovations certificates if I have enough points for the difference? If so, who would I contact? I did not see anything about returning reward redemption's.
I don't have the Chase CC, so do not have access to the internal site, but I'd be surprised if it were possible to return the ovation certs.

FWIW, ovation certs - unlike free night certs - do not have an expiry date.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Free Night Stay at The Plaza New York

Called Fairmont to inquire about free night certificate use at The Plaza.

To my surprise, the agent came back and said they just had a cancellation for September and I would be able to use it any night that wasn't blacked out with Plaza Room availability! This left a choice of 6 days near the end of September.

I could hardly believe it, so I booked a night without hesitating.

I understand that room/suite upgrade certificates cannot be used at the Plaza, but wonder how the property is with other Platinum benefits? I will likely take advantage of early check-in and late check-out if possible.

Do you think being Platinum will allow for a room upgrade based on availability? I've only been to three properties (Singapore, Pacific Rim, YVR) since being Plat and all properties have upgraded very generously without asking without certificate use. I know it's not a published benefit but can anyone speak on experience at The Plaza?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by SOWK
Called Fairmont to inquire about free night certificate use at The Plaza.

To my surprise, the agent came back and said they just had a cancellation for September and I would be able to use it any night that wasn't blacked out with Plaza Room availability! This left a choice of 6 days near the end of September.

I could hardly believe it, so I booked a night without hesitating.

I understand that room/suite upgrade certificates cannot be used at the Plaza, but wonder how the property is with other Platinum benefits? I will likely take advantage of early check-in and late check-out if possible.

Do you think being Platinum will allow for a room upgrade based on availability? I've only been to three properties (Singapore, Pacific Rim, YVR) since being Plat and all properties have upgraded very generously without asking without certificate use. I know it's not a published benefit but can anyone speak on experience at The Plaza?
I've only stayed there once. I received a one category upgrade, and late checkout.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:44 pm

Question about using suite/room upgrade certificates:

Can my wife and I each book contiguous 2 free nights stays obtained via the Chase Fairmont card (for an effective 4 night stay) and upgrade the 4 night stay with a *single* suite/room upgrade cert from one of our accounts? We would both be staying in the hotel all four nights, if that matters. Or would we each need to redeem a cert?

I noticed that the terms and conditions state that the suite/room upgrade certificates are only transferable to immediate family members for platinum members, not for premier members. Since we would both be guests in the room for the whole stay, I'm hoping that a "transfer" of the cert does not apply to this situation. We would not be platinum members, just premier members via the credit card.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by redtop
Question about using suite/room upgrade certificates:

Can my wife and I each book contiguous 2 free nights stays obtained via the Chase Fairmont card (for an effective 4 night stay) and upgrade the 4 night stay with a *single* suite/room upgrade cert from one of our accounts? We would both be staying in the hotel all four nights, if that matters. Or would we each need to redeem a cert?

I noticed that the terms and conditions state that the suite/room upgrade certificates are only transferable to immediate family members for platinum members, not for premier members. Since we would both be guests in the room for the whole stay, I'm hoping that a "transfer" of the cert does not apply to this situation. We would not be platinum members, just premier members via the credit card.
As a Premier member, technically, no, you would each need to redeem an upgrade cert. Platinum members, of course, could transfer all the certs to the program of one family member, and use only one upgrade certificate against a single booking.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
As a Premier member, technically, no, you would each need to redeem an upgrade cert. Platinum members, of course, could transfer all the certs to the program of one family member, and use only one upgrade certificate against a single booking.
Thanks for the info. Would the following scenario be a possible work-around?
scenario:
+ I book my two free nights specifying my wife's name as the hotel guest.
+ My wife books her two free nights under her name.
+ The upgrade cert from her account is then used for all four nights, since all four nights were booked in her name.

Is the problem that the free nights can only be redeemed for the member from whose account they come from and not for another named guest on the reservation?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop
Thanks for the info. Would the following scenario be a possible work-around?
scenario:
+ I book my two free nights specifying my wife's name as the hotel guest.
+ My wife books her two free nights under her name.
+ The upgrade cert from her account is then used for all four nights, since all four nights were booked in her name.

Is the problem that the free nights can only be redeemed for the member from whose account they come from and not for another named guest on the reservation?
Exactly that. If you have Premier status, you can officially only use certs for your own stays. If you have Platinum status, you can also transfer certs to family members.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Exactly that. If you have Premier status, you can officially only use certs for your own stays. If you have Platinum status, you can also transfer certs to family members.
Got it, thanks for the explanation.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Got upgraded to Premier status after 3 nights thanks to Air Canada Elite 100 promo code. I guess the passion benefits are given at the beginning of next year, right ? Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:55 pm

So, I want to use my free night certs for a stay in April in the Montreux Fairmont. My upgrade certs aren't usable yet since they expire on Feb 28 and I have to wait for new ones to be issued. There are only twin rooms left, but there is a junior suite available, so if I book the twin room with the free night cert and then book a paid stay for the suite, can I use that to hold the room until my upgrade cert is available or is that frowned upon/not doable?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corpgator
So, I want to use my free night certs for a stay in April in the Montreux Fairmont. My upgrade certs aren't usable yet since they expire on Feb 28 and I have to wait for new ones to be issued. There are only twin rooms left, but there is a junior suite available, so if I book the twin room with the free night cert and then book a paid stay for the suite, can I use that to hold the room until my upgrade cert is available or is that frowned upon/not doable?
Doable: yes
Frowned upon: quite possible

If you have FPC Plat status and have already re-qualified, FPC has been known to sometimes allow Plat members to apply next year's certs.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Doable: yes
Frowned upon: quite possible
People in other programs have lost their status for pulling this stunt.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Got upgraded to Premier status after 3 nights thanks to Air Canada Elite 100 promo code. I guess the passion benefits are given at the beginning of next year, right?
Passion benefits are for Platinum, not for Premier.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Got upgraded to Premier status after 3 nights thanks to Air Canada Elite 100 promo code. I guess the passion benefits are given at the beginning of next year, right ? Thanks
That's odd. Super Elite grants Platinum after 3 nights, not Premier, according to my dashboard. How long did it take for your account to be upgraded, btw?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.