Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frugal Travel Guy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Raffles
I wonder why IB didn't buy any other blogs after FTG?
Internet Brands did purchase another weblog: FrequentFlier.com by Tim Winship; but then he stopped writing for it at the end of December of 2015, if I recall correctly.

Type in www.frequentflier.com in your browser and see where it leads you...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Bankrate has also managed to structure it to keep the talent onboard MMS/TPG.
IB didn't.
Actually, Rick Ingersoll continued to write for the FTG blog for several years after the sale. The articles became less and less relevant, as he drifted into topics like the state of the hobby and what's important in life. Real snoozers-when he stopped writing, I didn't even notice for a while.

That's a common occurence when an entrepreneur sells a company and no longer has to get uo each morning and figure out how to make a buck.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Aug 23, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am surprised FTG has lasted...as it, among Titan commercial blogs, has fallen waaaaay behind.

I really laughed reading that comment above about...retaining talent
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:53 pm

It is interesting that you mentioned Tim Winship. For the first time in a really long time, I clicked on my bookmark for Milepoint. I was taken to Insideflyer and there were a bunch of front page articles written by Tim Winship. I think he wrote all of them.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Internet Brands did purchase another weblog: FrequentFlier.com by Tim Winship; but then he stopped writing for it at the end of December of 2015, if I recall correctly.

Type in www.frequentflier.com in your browser and see where it leads you...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
It is interesting that you mentioned Tim Winship. For the first time in a really long time, I clicked on my bookmark for Milepoint. I was taken to Insideflyer and there were a bunch of front page articles written by Tim Winship. I think he wrote all of them.
Most of them, actually — occasionally, some of the articles are written by other writers — and the articles all were first written for Smarter Travel, as at the bottom of each article is this statement:

“This article first appeared on SmarterTravel.com, where Tim is Editor-at-Large.”
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Deleted comment.

Last edited by general45; Sep 17, 2017 at 12:52 pm Reason: Didn't mention quote from another contributor.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/18...an-rocket.html

Wow, they had an entire plane full of employees?

Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Over on this thread, FTers were unhappy that United didn't invite FTers to Family Day at SFO as they have in the past. I made a point that IB/FTG is partially to blame for the disconnect, because they seem to like to put United down moreso than other airlines whenever they post something negative about them.

Of course, here's a prime example.

How's that for a misleading clickbait title?

Not only did they take Oscar Munoz's quote out of context, they threw in at the bottom of the page with no explanation.

If they wrote a truthful article, they'd explain that Oscar Munoz took full responsibility because it was airline policy that caused the incident, and not the fault of the agents, and that he's not going to point fingers and blame people.

This steaming pile of garbage of an article makes it sound like Oscar is saying that the agents did the right thing and that they have his full support.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/p...wilds-out.html

US Airways... in 2017?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Not that the author of that article should not share the blame; but to be fair, the article which was linked is dated today...?!?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

The Sun is a tabloid style news publication based in the UK. I'n not surprised there. The author of the FT/FTG article simply regurgitates things without copy editing or fact checking.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Wow, I'm surprised that FTG is actually somewhat honest and isn't shilling the Capital One Venture card under false pretenses
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
No direct links, sad! Saving the ammunition and exclamation marks for the ones that pay better lol.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
They just posted an article slamming St. T for being too expensive a couple years ago. Whether or not that's her opinion, I think after being devastated last year by 2 hurricanes, this was a pretty heartless article and did not need to be published...IMO.
diburning likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredc84
They just posted an article slamming St. T for being too expensive a couple years ago. Whether or not that's her opinion, I think after being devastated last year by 2 hurricanes, this was a pretty heartless article and did not need to be published...IMO.
Definitely heartless. It was totally unnecessary, and may possibly harm the still recovering tourist industry there.

This ad masquerading as an article made the front page last night. If you go to their website, there's no iOS app, and the Android app has 2 stars because most people gave it 1 star. The good reviews are all shills. The developer also made it a point to chastise people giving bad reviews saying that they should have read the instructions.

There's no indication of how or whether the system actually works, and there's no list of airlines. The "sign up" section for airlines seems very weak and fake at best. Why would airlines sign up with this (small, unknown) third party service instead of offering it themselves and cutting out the middleman?

What I think is going on here is that they're a shady OTA that has a bidding process hoping that people will bid on tickets and get carried away in a bidding war and end up bidding more than the actual price that the OTA is paying for the ticket, so that the OTA pockets the difference. The "minimum reserve price set by the airline" is most likely the actual cost of the ticket.

I'm surprised that The Points Guy didn't run a shill ad for this too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.