Wiki Posts
Search

The Travel Hackr

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

The Travel Hackr

I would like to get some feedback on a new blog http://www.thetravelhackr.org/

Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc..
Old May 30, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
1. I see nothing unique on your site that couldn't be found on that garbage pile otherwise known as BoardingArea.
2. Nothing of your recent posts equates to travel hacking, which your name seems to imply.
3. THIS was your first post? Really?
4. Welcome to FT
Old May 30, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
What I tell all new bloggers:
-Assume they've heard it before, why should they read your version of it?
-Be careful about sourcing your images, make sure you either have a stock subscription or explicit permission before using an image that's not your own.
-Just. keep. posting. The times where my blog has had the most traffic were when I posted consistently, even if not all of the content was epic.
-Have fun! Find your own voice and before you know it you'll have your own following. It's a very crowded and competitive space, so best of luck!
Old May 30, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You lost me when you described the standard Delta Amex 30K offer being your go-to deal/card.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. What would you define as travel hacking RFD?
Old May 31, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As Hack My Trip found, the corporates have an aversion to the word 'hack' and you won't get any airline or card partnerships with that name - which is why Hack My Trip became Travel Codex. You might as well have called it 'F*** The Airlines and The Card Companies' - they will have the same response.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Raffles
As Hack My Trip found, the corporates have an aversion to the word 'hack' and you won't get any airline or card partnerships with that name - which is why Hack My Trip became Travel Codex. You might as well have called it 'F*** The Airlines and The Card Companies' - they will have the same response.
Well, he did use "hackr" to help differentiate himself.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
How is this travel "hacking"? How about The Travel Repost-From-Other-Blogs?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dropping the "e" in hacker and the ".org" tag pretty much guarantees that nobody will ever remember your website name. If you don't even show up on google as "travel hack/hacker" you're doomed.

Good luck. It will take about 10 times as much effort as you expect to get 10% of the traffic you hoped for. Original and sought-out content is about the only way to get onto Google search rankings and that's assuming one of the big blogs don't write about the same topic as well.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Dropping the "e" in hacker and the ".org" tag pretty much guarantees that nobody will ever remember your website name. If you don't even show up on google as "travel hack/hacker" you're doomed.

Good luck. It will take about 10 times as much effort as you expect to get 10% of the traffic you hoped for. Original and sought-out content is about the only way to get onto Google search rankings and that's assuming one of the big blogs don't write about the same topic as well.
Or, they paraphrase your content and then give a simple "h/t" at the end of the article.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Some good but harsh criticism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.