Reload this Page >

DansDeals - Time for a Master Thread?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DansDeals - Time for a Master Thread?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
4 is too young for business class. Still too prone to tantrums. And you can't compare a child having a tantrum with an unruly adult. Unruly adults can be reasoned with. A tantruming child cannot.
I beg to differ. A 4 year old can be bribed, but there's no bribing a drunk adult.
My 4 year old has been on more than 100 flights, no major issues yet
Old May 27, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I beg to differ. A 4 year old can be bribed, but there's no bribing a drunk adult.
Of this I am certain.

After all, it is always SOMEONE ELSE's baby or toddler that is inconsolably screaming in the premium class cabin or lounge.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:06 pm

I speak from experience, you're creating a monster!

My kids loved to travel until they become teenagers, my son could name every airplane model when he was 6 and wanted to become a pilot. But it all changed when they reached their teenage years, when everything became 'bo-o-o-o-ring'... and they chose to spend their time in Amsterdam or Paris im'ing with their friends in the internet cafes. That made us stop taking them on our trips. A few years later they started traveling by themselves or with their friends. (It's a good thing that the movie "Taken", with Liam Neeson only came out 3 years after my 15 yo daughter went alone to Nice thru Paris. The scene at CDG scared me ........!) Now that they're all grown up they travel more than we do, and we can't take a trip without one or both tagging along - which is a real pleasure or us.

Shabatt Shalom!
Old May 28, 2016, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Shabbat Shalom to you as well. If your BRT wasn't on a Saturday I'd tell you to add the ribs from Izzy's Smokehouse to the list. If you haven't tried them yet, you'll be in for a real treat.
BRT was held on a Friday two years in a row when I had a Bar Mitzvah to attend. We stopped on Ave J at one of my favorite bakeries > Ostrowizky Bakery. These days it's Pressers on Ave M. I prefer the bakery cookies and onion rolls there. Since my Mother (z'l) is no longer with us, my trips to Brooklyn are infrequent.

I'll check out Izzy's. If you'll excuse me, I have to get ready to go to shul/temple/synagogue. Growing up in Brooklyn, we always said shul. Temple meant church, and synagogue was one of those big fancy places.

dh
Old May 28, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Of this I am certain.

After all, it is always SOMEONE ELSE's baby or toddler that is inconsolably screaming in the premium class cabin or lounge.
A 4 year old is not a baby. They are sensible people. My kid graduated to BA F at Easter.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can I borrow JJ to do my TBB Amazon link pumping, he is awesome!

DD is just a unique outfit in this space. Started many years ago, developed the Jewish Orthodox market, worked his butt off to develop his readership, grew into doing seminars (which I never attended as the schedule never worked out for me....maybe one day, heck it took many years to attend BRT finally!). To his credit, imho:

Never pretended to be doing this to help friends and family for free as a hobby like so many BA blogs.

The dude clearly knows his hacking stuff when I am sure TPG probably never made it inside a CVS or Wal Mart and MMS probably made it only to photograph Emily in front of a gc kiosk

There is a great deal of gold in the DD forums, I have learned a lot there but I have no time anymore.

You would never see another big blogger participate here....so much downtime for them when they can use that time to, gulp, increase conversions
Old May 28, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpapadop
There is a great deal of gold in the DD forums, I have learned a lot there but I have no time anymore.
Agreed. Here's some AU:

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53114.0

(and proof that Dan is a good sport)
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My initial issue with Dan was the use of "list" pricing from with to ascertain percentage discounts, which were all ridiculous.

The issue has been getting a lot of press, and it looks like Amazon is trying to just eliminate the list/MSRP/benchmark/anchor price:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/bu...st-prices.html

Not sure what Dan will do, but today he posts about a monitor and just speaks of the price yesterday, which seems very reasonable (and also confirmed via camelcamelcamel.com).

I'm hoping this is the end to the "90% off Luggage at Amazon" headlines.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
We've always used "yesterday pricing" on Amazon for individual products.

However individual pricing isn't possible when Amazon has a gold box deal on a number of items, so we use the percentage off as calculated by Amazon.

As JJ pointed out upthread, there were indeed luggage items from the sale referenced in your OP that were 92% off from the previous selling price. So I'm not sure what the issue is exactly.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:03 pm

Shout out to Dan for bringing attention to this and helping tons of people with their Google accounts restoration (hopefully!)
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Shout out to Dan for bringing attention to this and helping tons of people with their Google accounts restoration (hopefully!)
Thanks. Felt like the right thing to do and I'm glad it worked out for everyone!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just saw this posted on DD

He has a direct link to BA that uses the AARP discount. I'm pretty sure I've seen that it the past. It makes it possible to obtain the AARP discount without being a member. We've already seen the AARP discount get gutted recently; I would hate for further abuse to do more damage. Definitely doesn't seem appropriate or ethical.

Fdw
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Just saw this posted on DD

He has a direct link to BA that uses the AARP discount. I'm pretty sure I've seen that it the past. It makes it possible to obtain the AARP discount without being a member. We've already seen the AARP discount get gutted recently; I would hate for further abuse to do more damage. Definitely doesn't seem appropriate or ethical.

Fdw
The deal's now dead, with prices up over $500 even with the discount. And yes, I'm not too happy that people without an AARP affiliation could take advantage of the discount. Since membership is not age limited and is fairly cheap at around $15 per year, I suspect there's a pretty good possibility shenanigans like this will eventually cause BA to pull out of this partnership.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What's with the many references to Israel and Kosher in DansDeals ? Is the owner Jewish ?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
What's with the many references to Israel and Kosher in DansDeals ? Is the owner Jewish ?
The owner, and many of the readers, are orthodox Jews, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.