Wiki Posts
Search

Start of PointsTutor.com

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Start of PointsTutor.com

Hello Everyone,

I'm a fellow points lover and have started my blog PointsTutor.com. While I did start this blog a year ago, I unfortunately lost quite a bit of my blog when I migrated it to a new host and thus I am relaunching my site.

My aim of the blog is to teach others about the points game and how to achieve travel for free or pennies on the dollar and also learn more about the subject myself. I'll focus on what credit cards and tactics I think are best for earning the most amount of points for the average joe. I'll also write about my own success and travels using points. While I will recommend credit cards, I promise I will not pimp them out like other bloggers do (I don't have any affiliate links for that matter either).

So please check out my site PointsTutor.com and let me know what you think! Any suggestions or comments are warmly welcomed. If anyone has a request for a certain post by all means please ask.

(If self promotion is not allowed in this section, by all means please delete this post and I apologize in advance.)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Hey, Pimpy McPimperson - I read your blog for all of 30 seconds before you suggested I support you by applying for an SPG and Sapphire cards. Scarlet Pimpernel....
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry you were put off by my request to use my personal referrals for these credit cards. I merely have a hope that everyone in the points community refers each other as much as possible to earn everyone the most amount of points. I'll gladly update my post to reflect that. You are more than welcome post your own referrals in the comments section if you'd like for the SPG Amex and CSP cards.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
what?

Do you realize you are the 1,345,576th (or fairly close) doing this?

You should read the "new blogger checklist" a blog reader left as a comment some time ago.

http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/two-mus...ger-checklist/

I applaud your effort but, respectfully, I think your efforts can be most effectively used elsewhere.

Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: All of Them
Making a new points website in 2016 is rough; I'd recommend submitting your stuff to established folks to see if they'll take you on as a contributor - if your heart is set on writing.

For your site - if the photos aren't yours, you need to credit it after getting permission to use it. You can also pay for a subscription to sites like Shutterstock to use stock photos.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:16 am

How to do you plan to drive traffic to the site?

Need to have a real strategy to overcome the established players.

Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Some good advice here.

Good luck!!! ^
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Richklhs
For your site - if the photos aren't yours, you need to credit it after getting permission to use it. You can also pay for a subscription to sites like Shutterstock to use stock photos.
This. Reverse image searching showed me you used images from W Hotels, Alaska Airlines, and Jumeirah Hotels without attribution and (I imagine) without permission. This is a quick way to end up on the wrong side of some nasty emails from legal departments. Some skip the emails entirely and just send you an invoice. (I may or may not be part of the second camp...)

Best of luck with the venture. It's a crowded space, so find your voice, write well, and put your readers first. It's a crazy segment of the internet but I've had a lot of fun over the past 3.5 years writing my blog.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for everyones advice thus far! I understand there are many other blogs out there and that's completely fine with me. No matter what you do in life, there will always be competition. If people like my writing and the topics I cover, I believe they'll start following me along with the other "big" guys. If I don't get a solid following, that's fine with me as well and all I hope is that I at least converted a few people to start collecting points.

As for the images, I will certainly start naming the owners of them. I was under the assumption if I name the hotel in the same post that that should be fine.

In terms of creating traffic, I plan to utilize social media, comment on fellow bloggers blogs, become more active and not be such a lurker on FT, and hopefully guest write on others blogs. If anyone has any other suggestions, by all means please do share.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Richklhs
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
This. Reverse image searching showed me you used images from W Hotels, Alaska Airlines, and Jumeirah Hotels without attribution and (I imagine) without permission. This is a quick way to end up on the wrong side of some nasty emails from legal departments. Some skip the emails entirely and just send you an invoice. (I may or may not be part of the second camp...)
+1

Images are intellectual property. Iff you used my photos without permission (I sell photos on Getty), I would send you a letter and a invoice.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nuol91
As for the images, I will certainly start naming the owners of them. I was under the assumption if I name the hotel in the same post that that should be fine.
Just naming the original source is not always sufficient to meet the requirements of copyright. If you posted photos I took - even with a link to my site - and I discovered it you'd find yourself on the receiving end of an invoice and legal take-down notice.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Realistically, if you're writing about Emirates and you use an official Emirates picture then you're fine. This has never caused me any major concern. It is 90% certain these pictures are available for download from their media sites anyway.

The only issue I had ever had was where I accidentally used a plane photo which was from Wikipedia and I was asked to add a credit, which I did.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by nuol91
Although the worst that can happen is that you will be refused or given the opportunity to purchase, you might be surprised just how easy it is to get official permission to use photographs in your articles.

All it takes is a simple e-mail message which includes the link to your weblog and a request for permission — as well as the topic of the article in which you intend to use it.

I speak from experience: I have never yet had a request for permission to use a photograph denied; and in fact I have been thanked for asking.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
More about HT and fair use of images is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...-you-copy.html
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Not off to a great start...

Can't imagine how much copywrite infringement you have engaged in if this is your first time getting scolded and you've had the blog for a year.

Might be wise to hire an attorney ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.