Mommy Points - Chase Affiliate Links Ending

Subscribe
Quote: And when you follow that link, there are no Chase offers.
-1, you can follow that link to access the Marriott offer, which would pay her a commission.
Not that there's anything wrong with that
Quote: You can get into some trouble linking directly to a credit card offer without an affiliate agreement in place with them. It makes no sense to link to an offer unless it's your link simply due to the number of disclosures and requirements they hold you to.
If you don't have an agreement with an entity such as a credit card issuer, you are not bound by any disclosures or requirements so I don't see how someone - let's just say random blogger x - could get into trouble for linking to an offer. If it's on the web, it's linkable.

It may not make sense in terms of revenue, but if random blogger x wants to point out to his 10 readers, "hey, here's a great offer..." I don't see any barriers that prevent that from happening.
Quote: If you don't have an agreement with an entity such as a credit card issuer, you are not bound by any disclosures or requirements so I don't see how someone - let's just say random blogger x - could get into trouble for linking to an offer. If it's on the web, it's linkable.

It may not make sense in terms of revenue, but if random blogger x wants to point out to his 10 readers, "hey, here's a great offer..." I don't see any barriers that prevent that from happening.
That would be illegal in the UK because you are promoting a credit card without holding a licence to give financial advice. Card articles on UK blogs (apart from mine, because I am licensed) should not contain any links to card sites. Oddly, it is only having the link which creates the requirement to be licensed - you can discuss the card ad nauseum if you don't link.
Why does it seem like Mommy Points is on some sort of a promotional / free trip @ Andaz Papagayo? She's tweeting every hour with 'how amazing' the property is and even writing blog posts about different aspects of the resort during her trip.
Quote: Why does it seem like Mommy Points is on some sort of a promotional / free trip @ Andaz Papagayo? She's tweeting every hour with 'how amazing' the property is and even writing blog posts about different aspects of the resort during her trip.
I like Summer, but sometimes the line can be a little fuzzy as a reader. Her Tweets feel like she is being paid to promote Hyatt and SPG at times (even though I don't believe she is being compensated). Typically she also writes how she paid for the hotel stay, but I'm not seeing that she has done that this time. I'm hoping she can not sugar coat the negatives of the resort when she gets to the review.

I'm curious as to how she has Hyatt Globalist status as she doesn't travel that much. I know that Hyatt gave status to bloggers to give away, but if she was given Hyatt Globalist status from the company wouldn't she have to disclose that on all of her Hyatt stay posts?
Quote: I like Summer, but sometimes the line can be a little fuzzy as a reader. Her Tweets feel like she is being paid to promote Hyatt and SPG at times (even though I don't believe she is being compensated). Typically she also writes how she paid for the hotel stay, but I'm not seeing that she has done that this time. I'm hoping she can not sugar coat the negatives of the resort when she gets to the review.

I'm curious as to how she has Hyatt Globalist status as she doesn't travel that much. I know that Hyatt gave status to bloggers to give away, but if she was given Hyatt Globalist status from the company wouldn't she have to disclose that on all of her Hyatt stay posts?
Now Gary Leff is at Andaz Papagayo and actively promoting it on social media, which is not his typical style. This smells more and more like a promotional stunt. Let's see if Gary sheds light on this during his review, since he has a "no freebies" policy of sorts.

I think Summer mattress ran back in Jan&Feb to get to 25 stays under the old rules and get Globalist status through 2019.
Quote: I think Summer mattress ran back in Jan&Feb to get to 25 stays under the old rules and get Globalist status through 2019.
CMIIW, but I think Hyatt gave the bigger BA bloggers Globalist status.
Quote: Now Gary Leff is at Andaz Papagayo and actively promoting it on social media, which is not his typical style. This smells more and more like a promotional stunt. Let's see if Gary sheds light on this during his review, since he has a "no freebies" policy of sorts.

I think Summer mattress ran back in Jan&Feb to get to 25 stays under the old rules and get Globalist status through 2019.
Summer responded to someone on twitter and she said "I paid with points and cash like everyone else." This seems a bit odd to say like everyone else. I didn't closely read her articles, but I don't recall her mentioning any other friends or bloggers being at the hotel.

Quote: CMIIW, but I think Hyatt gave the bigger BA bloggers Globalist status.
As a blogger do you have to ever disclose this? I'm assuming not. Though, it would show some transparency if a blogger disclosed this in their review citing that they may have received preferential treatment as a blogger
I guess she wrote an extended response:
I want to expand on this a bit as I saw a similar comment/question elsewhere, too. I have been doing this blogging gig now for over six years, over five of which it has been my full time job. I’m not perfect and never will be, but I don’t think I have a track record of purposefully hiding things or having financial relationships that aren’t disclosed. That isn’t to say that healthy skepticism isn’t good on the internet, it certainly is, but I do like to hope that I have earned some amount of trust with most of you guys. I don’t have anything against sponsored trips as they allow me and other site like mine to experience more places, bring more content, and give information in a more educated way than if we had to just rely on what I can afford, but taking too many sponsored trips would most likely skew perspective and isn’t something I am interested in. Most importantly, those relationships are clearly disclosed when they exist. This is not a sponsored trip as we paid 100% out of pocket. I just happened to really like it so have been sharing my experiences here and on social media, as I do most of our vacations. It is going to (hopefully) be rare that we go somewhere on vacation and it is a total bust due to the hotel’s fault. We research pretty extensively before committing to somewhere, so most of the time I’m going to have largely good things to say about where we go to have fun. I’ve already penciled in a return trip here with the girls and am looking forward to it. That trip will also be paid for by us. I don’t have any sponsored trips on the schedule right now, but I promise you if/when I do take one in the future, that relationship will be fully disclosed.

I thought it was pretty common for her to typically state how her hotel stays were paid (cash, points, cash + points) during reviews. I think leaving out how she paid and the style of writing made me wonder if it was a sponsored trip.

I believe her. I don't think it was sponsored.
levilevi likes this.
Quote: I guess she wrote an extended response:

I thought it was pretty common for her to typically state how her hotel stays were paid (cash, points, cash + points) during reviews. I think leaving out how she paid and the style of writing made me wonder if it was a sponsored trip.

I believe her. I don't think it was sponsored.
Yep. I will take her word for it as well. ^

It amazes me how closely many bloggers monitor this sub forum ... considering their lack of FT activity otherwise.
Quote: CMIIW, but I think Hyatt gave the bigger BA bloggers Globalist status.
Yep. I believe that is why some bloggers gave away a Globalist status to their readers as well (one for me, one for all of you!)

And I think I was incorrect about MP's mattress run: http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...balist-status/
Quote: As a blogger do you have to ever disclose this? I'm assuming not. Though, it would show some transparency if a blogger disclosed this in their review citing that they may have received preferential treatment as a blogger
Personally I would absolutely disclose anything given to me just for being a blogger.

Then again I can count the number of times that's happened to me on one hand

I mattress ran for the status earlier this year. Cost me $249+4K points: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/111783
Quote: I believe her. I don't think it was sponsored.
+1.

Not surprising that bloggers would focus on that hotel. Probably the best value low level/anniversary night eligible property out there.
Quote: I mattress ran for the status earlier this year. Cost me $249+4K points: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/111783
Yeah I cried a little inside when I read that post few weeks back (being in NYC, it was too expensive for me to do any runs.) That was one heck of a run though! Good stuff.
I bet hotel loyalty programs love cheerful posts about their property from all bloggers....Good for future relationships, no?