Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area installing malware [edited]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm assuming that if I just close my browser with Task Manager I'm safe from any virus?
Probably. Especially if you don't have an old, vulnerable version of Flash installed.

Obviously, this is an enormous problem for BoardingArea. Completely unacceptable.
Agreed on both counts.

I look at a lot of websites, and this simply doesn't happen at other respectable sites.
Yahoo had a significant, similar issue recently. You can judge for yourself if Yahoo is a "respectable site" or not but it is not just Boarding Area which is affected.

I'm not trying to make excuses - I think this is pretty much a debacle and it is unclear why Boarding Area is disproportionately affected versus other publishers, but it is also not isolated there.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm not trying to make excuses .
And yet....

It's unacceptable. Full stop. No 'buts' or comparisons. It's unacceptable once. As a recurring issues it's ridiculous.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Whenever visiting OMAT or VFTW I've been getting a pop up to install a virus.

And it's not just me, Lucky has a post dedicated to it:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rily-just-you/

I've scrubbed my computer clean and ran five different types of malware/virus scans. I've only seen this on Boarding Area.

Shame how low Boarding Area has sunk.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:26 pm

Ransomware bug

Clicked on a link to onemileatatime via face book and this ransomware is now on my computer. I hope my anti virus program can remove it. If this is a known problem why haven't the bloggers shut down their sites till this is fixed? How rude!
This happened today btw (8/7/2015) so whatever "fix" was done did not take.

Thank goodness for Kaspersky's team! They removed this Malware in 15 minutes and have now noted the originating site as toxic

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Aug 8, 2015 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
If this is a known problem why haven't the bloggers shut down their sites till this is fixed? How rude!
They don't have to 'shut down their sites' but just disable ads to be placed. sbm12 did that AFAIK in the last wave.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Ad blocker, ad blocker, ad blocker. Takes literally 2 minutes to install.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Yes, everyone should wear a condom.

Even so, BoardingArea needs to stop trying to give everyone the clap.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:05 am

FWIW, I believe this issue is now resolved, at least for the time being. A number of processes were changed and some real troubleshooting was finally performed, identifying bad ads and bad systems. I'm comfortable enough with the changes that I've put the Boarding Area ads back on my site. No guarantees, obviously, but I am comfortable again.
Sorry-it is worse than ever! "Clicked on a link to onemileatatime via face book and this ransomware is now on my computer. I hope my anti virus program can remove it. If this is a known problem why haven't the bloggers shut down their sites till this is fixed? How rude!
This happened today btw (8/7/2015) so whatever "fix" was done did not take.

Thank goodness for Kaspersky's team! They removed this Malware in 15 minutes and have now noted the originating site as toxic"
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry-it is worse than ever!

Thank goodness you quoted a post weeks old rather than any of the ones from the past few days where I noted it is broken again. I'm also unclear as to why you felt the need to post the exact same text as 14 hours ago in the same thread.

They removed this Malware in 15 minutes and have now noted the originating site as toxic"
Odds are there was no actual malware installed. That hasn't been what is being reported by pretty much everyone else.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Now, now. So what will the bloggers earn from you visiting their site?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Now, now. So what will the bloggers earn from you visiting their site?
CC AF links to the lucky few

The irony is probably the PPC model was not working so BA switched to PPL (pay per load), which just further annoys the average reader to google ad blocker and put an end to the madness.

When BA goes back to PPC, there will be less people to load ads.

For me it was ESPN with their annoying video ads that led me to ........
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:17 am

BArea has been on page view ads since quite some time and will continue to be on that. Click thru rates must be minimal. Why on earth change? The page impressions and unique visitors of the entire BArea.com family are high enough... the recent changes to the layout and rss/email feed indicate that page impressions are pretty important and require inflation...

The best way to read blogs is to go via the text only google cache
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You should not underestimate how the switch to mobile is impacting card conversions. If you read the blogs on your mobile, the cookies will be on your mobile.

When you come apply, assuming you go direct to the Chase etc site, you will be on a desktop most of the time.

It is a big issue that the few things you will try to avoid doing on a mobile - booking a flight or hotel or taking out a credit card - are the things that pay bloggers.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:49 pm

Thank goodness you quoted a post weeks old rather than any of the ones from the past few days where I noted it is broken again. I'm also unclear as to why you felt the need to post the exact same text as 14 hours ago in the same thread.

Odds are there was no actual malware installed. That hasn't been what is being reported by pretty much everyone else.
Is this still an issue? I went to Miles to Memories and instantly was redirected to a malicious site, but am not sure if I'm infected or BA is still suffering from the problem. No other sites I go to redirect me.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by solstys
Is this still an issue? I went to Miles to Memories and instantly was redirected to a malicious site, but am not sure if I'm infected or BA is still suffering from the problem. No other sites I go to redirect me.

I think M2M is infected with a something a bit different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.