Search

Justin Ross Lee: Travel Hacker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Justin Ross Lee: Travel Hacker

Both OMaaT and VFTW have posts about JRL today (again).

Although their views of him are slightly different I do think it's interesting that they are both fascinated with him.

I think they do realize that he (or the character he plays, anyway) is (in part) a satirical caricature of both of them (in different ways). But maybe only subconsciously.

JRL primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWYhRGsITM0

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 17, 2015 at 6:39 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
They were both quite bothered by him. Though their posts only brought the guy a tad bit more exposure - I hadn't even heard of him before seeing their posts. My first thought was that his character isn't all that far off from those two bloggers (or some FT'ers for that matter!).
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think they do realize that he (or the character he plays, anyway) is (in part) a satirical caricature of both of them (in different ways). But maybe only subconsciously.
^^
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
They were both quite bothered by him. Though their posts only brought the guy a tad bit more exposure - I hadn't even heard of him before seeing their posts. My first thought was that his character isn't all that far off from those two bloggers (or some FT'ers for that matter!).
I never heard of JLR either. after reading I think his character is much closer to Lucky then Gary.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
I never heard of JLR either. after reading I think his character is much closer to Lucky then Gary.
Yeah I'd agree with that
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by cruisr
Interesting point to make and a year ago I think I would have whole-heartedly agreed with you. However, ever since OMAATs failed kickstarter fiasco, I have personally noticed a great deal more humility in much of his material. I actually believe he acknowledged the negative backlash and adapted to a small degree.

Personally, I've lost all respect for Gary as he clearly doesn't respect the loyal (perhaps formerly loyal) readers that got him to where he is today.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended

I guess it goes way over Gary & Ben's head that JRL is basically a more open version of themselves?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Interesting point to make and a year ago I think I would have whole-heartedly agreed with you. However, ever since OMAATs failed kickstarter fiasco, I have personally noticed a great deal more humility in much of his material. I actually believe he acknowledged the negative backlash and adapted to a small degree.

Personally, I've lost all respect for Gary as he clearly doesn't respect the loyal (perhaps formerly loyal) readers that got him to where he is today.
^^

I also think Lucky has matured as a writer.

I'm appalled at Gary's grammar and number of typos - not as bad as DeltaPoints, but sometimes close.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I don't see much of difference (morally) between bloggers pimping discount codes and offers that aren't intended for the general public and JRL's use of fake business cards.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by work2fly
I don't see much of difference (morally) between bloggers pimping discount codes and offers that aren't intended for the general public and JRL's use of fake business cards.
I recall a few blogs pimped Travelocity discount codes aimed for “National Federation of the Blind” members.

Or the links to Veteran's Advantage for savings on travel. The site never checked whether you were actually eligible.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:44 pm

Do hotels even accept business cards (real or fake) as corporate ID? I thought you had to have a badge.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by davie355
Do hotels even accept business cards (real or fake) as corporate ID? I thought you had to have a badge.
They accept business cards. The largest corporate employers don't seem to have employee/photo-affixed badges for all their employees worldwide. With some large employers, there are even some units where the employee badges aren't allowed to be removed from the office site.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by davie355
When asked (and IME one rarely is), a business card will suffice. But here is the thing: the business card doesn't even have to have the name of the company with a discount on it. The person may be conducting business with the company with the discount. Or a interviewing with them. So it is entirely unnecessary to print business cards like that. But still wonderful satire! ^
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by work2fly
How about the same practice on FT? The hotel and rental car forums are full of it. Or there's "fuel dumping" or how to get itineraries on AV's booking engine that violate cabotage... which even gets code talk.

I tend to think what cheeses off the people here is, well, if you're reading one of those nasty bloggers you're not part of "the club"- while ignoring that "the club" makes money for IB the same way blogs make money for their authors- clickbait, ads, signups for credit cards.

I don't see much of a distinction. There's plenty of trickery, snobbery, condescension and conspicuous consumption in the forums here (along with much good stuff), as well as in the frequent flyer blogosphere too.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How about the same practice on FT? The hotel and rental car forums are full of it. Or there's "fuel dumping" or how to get itineraries on AV's booking engine that violate cabotage... which even gets code talk.

I tend to think what cheeses off the people here is, well, if you're reading one of those nasty bloggers you're not part of "the club"- while ignoring that "the club" makes money for IB the same way blogs make money for their authors- clickbait, ads, signups for credit cards.

I don't see much of a distinction. There's plenty of trickery, snobbery, condescension and conspicuous consumption in the forums here (along with much good stuff), as well as in the frequent flyer blogosphere too.
As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The miles and points blogosphere is full of the children, grandchildren and stepchildren of FT. The same DNA runs through this place as with the boardingarea.com blogs and most of the other leading airline/hotel miles and points blogs.
HarbourGent likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.