Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance MegaDO 6 - On Sale 16 Feb. 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by rehoult
Not really. We've done no more marketing for SMD6 than was done for SMD2 or 3 or 4 (don't know enough about the original to say). We posted on here and MP, some bloggers random wrote about it and we had a booking website for people to use. It sold out a in few days. But, just because we didn't market to the public, doesn't mean the public won't hear about it or can't buy it. If they go to the website, than they can buy a seat, same as in prior years.
I am not talking about purchased media but earned media. You (savvyly) comp seats for USA Today and WSJ and other press who write about the experience.

That's marketing to the public. Brilliant marketing, really. @:-)^
I know some people aren't thrilled about the changes; I'm not thrilled to be making them. I also 100% understand their frustration, as I was nearly left behind on SMD3 due to a late (as in during the event) schedule change and couldn't believe that I had been given a lanyard with an incorrect schedule on it. Having seen the other side in SMD5, I now know that sometime change happens and that it wasn't something that the organizers did to me on purpose. But that doesn't makes calls for improvement unreasonable. I hear you, and we'll try to do better.
It's tough to be at the mercy of sponsors/partners who are being so generous with comps. You are at the mercy of suppliers who are more or less giving you the milk to pass along to your customers for free but dealing with customers who feel like they are paying for milk you have sold them. You have no leverage over the suppliers and your customers have expectations. Not a comfortable place to be.
I know some people aren't thrilled about the changes; I'm not thrilled to be making them. I also 100% understand their frustration, as I was nearly left behind on SMD3 due to a late (as in during the event) schedule change and couldn't believe that I had been given a lanyard with an incorrect schedule on it. Having seen the other side in SMD5, I now know that sometime change happens and that it wasn't something that the organizers did to me on purpose. But that doesn't makes calls for improvement unreasonable. I hear you, and we'll try to do better.
I saw the post where Tommy blames the 2-3 month lead time. But apparently these changes happen on all MegaDos. I do think just a little more warning up front that 'nothing but the flights are set in stone' would go a long way to avoid having folks confuse MegaDo with a chartered tour in the classic tour travel sense.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Post SMD2 (in fact already almost during SMD2) this venture turned commercial with an aim to make a profit for the pain of the organiser(s). That's the point where you have to deliver customers what you promise... especially when you package freebies obtained from travel providers into the goods sold.

Of course we are talking very smart customers here, who carefully weigh their options before putting down their cash. If anybody yells 'bait-and-switch' for such events you really ask them 'seriously? You didn't do the math before putting down >1000$?'
I don't think many bother to do the math; it's a 'once in a lifetime experience,' after all.

But putting pencil to paper real quick, this event is $999 for economy.
Tommy says,
To get you to these events that are put on by our partners we charter an aircraft or provide transportation to the events (bus, train). We do the charter as this is the most convenient way to get 150+ people to the events that the partners put on. Plus it provides a chance for experiences that you wouldn’t normally get if we used scheduled service. We pay for the charter out of our own pockets, (the revenue numbers you've suggested is way off) and then sell the seats on the charter to everyone here. What we are selling is the transportation aspect. When you purchase the ticket from us, what you are getting is the flights, and that is all. Our marketing does call out events and receptions, too, but not hotels as they are optional.
What does the ticket cost cover?
  • A reserved seat on our exclusive SMD flight operated by SAS Scandinavian Airlines, in the class of service of your choice, with full meals and an open bar in all classes of service.
    ARN-TLS can be done commercial for ~$250 TLS-LGW is is as low as $210. Food and booze on board? $20 per segment? So...~$500 for the flights.
  • Access to all events and receptions (except those marked “optional” on the schedule such as the pre-event reception.)
    3 continental breakfasts and 2 receptions? $100?
  • Bus transportation to the events in Stockholm.
$25

So the market value of what MegaDo is technically selling comes to a market price of about $625.

But Tommy also says (with lawyerly hat on):
You bought a ticket on an airplane from ARN-TLS-LGW. That is it. Everything else is bonus and run by someone else, and not part of the purchased ticket.
So back that number up to < $500.

But aside from the unique charter flight experience with fellow av geeks, the real hook to MegaDos are the 'once in a lifetime' tours. One can tour SAS and LHR T2 operations by purchasing a plane ticket, and Airbus is about $25 to tour. But the key value-add is the 'inside' nature of the tours, and of course the ability to get the ubiquitous 'standing in an airplane engine' photograph. That, I think, is where you get into 'priceless.'

So if I were part of the volunteer management team or the owner of the venture, that is where I would focus the marketing. Because that's the part that defies math and closes the deal. And note in LARGE BOLD PRINT exactly what is being sold/bought, and what is being provided as a 'goodie bag' at the discretion of the organizers and is subject to change at any time. @:-)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
But putting pencil to paper real quick, this event is $999 for economy.
Tommy says,
What does the ticket cost cover?
  • A reserved seat on our exclusive SMD flight operated by SAS Scandinavian Airlines, in the class of service of your choice, with full meals and an open bar in all classes of service.
    ARN-TLS can be done commercial for ~$250 TLS-LGW is is as low as $210. Food and booze on board? $20 per segment? So...~$500 for the flights.
  • Access to all events and receptions (except those marked “optional” on the schedule such as the pre-event reception.)
    3 continental breakfasts and 2 receptions? $100?
  • Bus transportation to the events in Stockholm.
$25

So the market value of what MegaDo is technically selling comes to a market price of about $625.
You realize that these numbers have nothing to do with the costs of the actual event, right? Not even close. Especially for F&B prices in the two cities where the events happen, but also the charter flight is WAY different than just buying 180 seats at the discount fare you've cherry picked.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
You realize that these numbers have nothing to do with the costs of the actual event, right? Not even close. Especially for F&B prices in the two cities where the events happen, but also the charter flight is WAY different than just buying 180 seats at the discount fare you've cherry picked.
Yes. Of course.

I was not looking at the cost from the perspective of the organizer, but from the perspective of the customer.

When a travel consumer 'does the math' (as Oliver suggested) on an A&K or Globus charter tour, one compares the cost of the bundled offer against what it would cost do do all of the included items a la carte. From that perspective the MegaDo offering is more expensive than it is worth.

But my larger point is that the meat of the MegaDo is the chartered airplane experience and the 'inside' tours that one simply cannot do other than as part of the MD event. IOW, the 'door prize/goodie bag' items that are not part of the MegaDo purchase per se, but are thrown in at the organizers discretion and ability, are what make a MD 'priceless'.

So math ought to be relatively irrelevant to the buy decision. And the organizers should dissuade people from looking at it that way by making a clear distinction between what is actually being purchased and what might be lavished on them, if they are lucky and the crick don't rise.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:05 pm

From the FB page, looks like the event is going well: https://www.facebook.com/MegaDoLLC

Although the Tommy interview is little cringe-worthy: "Open bar! Lots of booze, lots of women....actually no, not lots of women...."
Old May 11, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Typing this from my Stockholm hotel room at 1am!

Yes, it is going well! Despite being a grumpy British bloke I have to admit that it has come together OK. The SAS presentations were interesting although I could have done without getting a domestic short haul lunch box for lunch!

Only crisis today is that, amusingly, the SAS union has forbidden any SAS employee from popping across to the hotel to give out boarding passes for tomorrow (an SAS employee must see your passport so one was needed to give out BP's). We therefore must visit a desk in T5 tomorrow. Apart from that, all is good! Off to the Airbus factory tomorrow.

If you saw the level of organisation required to pull this off you would not criticise the cost in the slightest.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, MegaDo6 is over, with the final extra event of a tour of an SQ A380 at Heathrow - got to visit the crew dorm and sit in the pilot seat.

It is fair to say that next to nothing worked exactly as planned or advertised! Airbus, for a start, had a change of heart at the last minute (I was told why but will not repeat it) and refused to let us see the A350 - but the replacement activity they lined up was, in my view, better.

However, it didn't matter. Not in the slightest. There was a huge cammerarderie at the event, we all knew how tricky it was to arrange and we all know the issues involved when dealing with secretive types like Airbus and secure zones like Heathrow. In some ways, the events were secondary to the social aspect. There were also some things which were far better than I would ever have expected.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering going on a future event - as long as you are the sort of person who is willing to go with the flow!
Old May 14, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Well, MegaDo6 is over, with the final extra event of a tour of an SQ A380 at Heathrow - got to visit the crew dorm and sit in the pilot seat.

It is fair to say that next to nothing worked exactly as planned or advertised! Airbus, for a start, had a change of heart at the last minute (I was told why but will not repeat it) and refused to let us see the A350 - but the replacement activity they lined up was, in my view, better.

However, it didn't matter. Not in the slightest. There was a huge cammerarderie at the event, we all knew how tricky it was to arrange and we all know the issues involved when dealing with secretive types like Airbus and secure zones like Heathrow. In some ways, the events were secondary to the social aspect. There were also some things which were far better than I would ever have expected.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering going on a future event - as long as you are the sort of person who is willing to go with the flow!
Glad you enjoyed the event.

I'd agree and say it was particularly interesting with regards to last-minute curveballs this year. It seemed like every time I had one fire out, another one instantly appeared. SAS not creating the second leg of the flight in their system and telling us by ACARS to get everyone's passports was among the odder problems I've ever dealt with.

However, the flights experiences went pretty much perfectly and I had a ball serving the J cabin. Hope everyone enjoyed attending as much as I enjoyed managing it.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it true you shipped over a massive box of Air Canada mugs which never got given out?!

Are they now in (what I believe you North Americans would call) a dumpster in Bloomsbury?!

I was amused to read that Frequent Miler was, by a total coincidence, staying in the Radisson Bloomsbury on the night of the party and was VERY surprised to find a large number of familiar faces in the lobby!
Old May 15, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Is it true you shipped over a massive box of Air Canada mugs which never got given out?!

Are they now in (what I believe you North Americans would call) a dumpster in Bloomsbury?!

I was amused to read that Frequent Miler was, by a total coincidence, staying in the Radisson Bloomsbury on the night of the party and was VERY surprised to find a large number of familiar faces in the lobby!
Shipped over? If only! AC kindly donated and checked 5 cases of mugs, and a framed print of a 777, on my ticket from YYZ-LHR, which an AC concierge and I then hauled through T2 customs and security to store in their offices. It was one of the more interesting transit experiences I've had in my life.

As for if they were given out, I actually don't know and it is on my list to inquire about today. I was told that *A/AC/LH/UA had arranged for them to be given out at the tour stop at the LH lounge, but as I stayed at check-in until 12pm I never saw if they made it there or not. I'm going to feel pretty bad if that didn't happen, as AC stepped up at my request to donate swag and raffle prizes at the very last minute, and I certainly did not intend to fill their LHR office with crates of mugs.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Nothing was given out when my group got to the LH lounge.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well fudge.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was in the 10am group and nothing then.

On another front, thanks to all the organizers for putting on the event. The Airbus experience was something that I couldn't have done on my own. To me, the pleasure of the experience was well beyond the price of admission.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I was in the 10am group and nothing then.
.... or the 10.30 group!
Old May 28, 2015, 1:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by rehoult

Here are some highlights, you don't want to miss this one -
-- A very exclusive and up close look at the new Airbus A350 - the future of aviation
-- Spend a day with Mark Schwab, President and CEO of Star Alliance and get a behind-the-scenes tour at their biggest investment in a long time: T2, The Queens Terminal at London's Heathrow
-- A day with SAS -- SAS put on an amazing show, one of the most loved programs of the MegaDo back in 2009. Now they are back and they are inviting us to spend the day with them in their hometown Stockholm. We'll get to take a look at their new Business Class and newly refurbished planes in addition to SAS Eurobonus, their revamped loyalty program with a brand new tier.
-- Club Carlson is our new hotel partner. Enjoy their top tier status Concierge with their compliments and join them for a very exclusive reception at their flagship property, the luxurious The May Fair in London.
-- More surprise status miles and points to follow
-- To kick off the festivities the night before the charter flight, there will a optional dinner hosted at Kitchen and Table at Arlanda Airport, Clarion hotel.
What eventually happened:

Originally Posted by cova"
There was no swag bag at SMD6, nor any mementos from the sponsors.. Not sure if we needed anything to have to carry back home.

The sponsors were very generous in the event parties, but no handouts.

The nature of the Airbus tour apparently changed and was not as behind the scenes as SMD1, where we had arrival party at Airbus, swag bag, tours of A380 and mock ups, and meetings with Airbus Execs (VPs).

The Airbus tour on Tuesday consisted of :
1. 45 minutes at a (new) public Air & Space Museum in Toulouse (free ticket provided)
2. Private presentation - 45 minutes at the Airbus test facility - power point presentation (very interesting) - never given to outside groups before.
3. Walk through A380 serial number 1 test aircraft (neat).

Unfortunately, security prevented a A350 tour, and there were no swags. The Airbus souvenir shop is now in the new Air & Space Museum so there was time to purchase something if you liked. The test facility presentation was apparently last minute - so nothing offered at the presentation room. It was hot outside and the room was warm, so I was a little disappointed that Airbus did not at a minimum provide a bottle of water.

On Monday, we went by bus to SAS HQ for 2-3 hours, with various Powerpoint presentations (of interest) and we were served a box lunch. SAS HQ is about 5 miles from Stockholm and about 30 miles from ARN. There was no activity with SAS at ARN.

Monday afternoon - there were breakout sessions to propose designs for a new *A app. And Singapore presented a new Premium Economy product, and then *A hosted a party at the ARN hotel.

Tues night - Club Carson hosted a party at the hotel and free Heathrow Express coupons were provided.

Missed the LHR Term 2, but I believe is was a staggered tour of Term 2.

Good SMD6, but not in the league of SMD1.
I suppose SMD7 onwards the pitch should just be: hand us 999$, and we'll take you for a ride of your lifetime, lets not get bogged down with details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.