Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Not sure if this truly belongs in this thread, but I found it humorous. If you look up "Flyertalk" on Urban Dictionary, there's this definition:

An internet bulletin board (flyertalk.com) that is filled with some useful hints and a lot of flaming and insulting. Filled with unnecessary drama.

"I went to go check out flyertalk to see this new Delta Airlines promotion and all I got was flaming for asking a question."
written by one "Randy Petersen."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=flyertalk
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Hold the front page :-)

Get a Bottle of Tide Laundry Detergent for Free from Walmart (after cash back)

http://lechicgeek.boardingarea.com/g...art-cash-back/
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
Hold the front page :-)

Get a Bottle of Tide Laundry Detergent for Free from Walmart (after cash back)

http://lechicgeek.boardingarea.com/g...art-cash-back/
The 'Fat Walletization' of the P&M world....
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Tide's a rather expensive detergent and all.

But can I funnel the purchase through MyPoints and end up with another 200 United miles or something for the transaction?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:39 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

BoardingArea is finally being cleaned up with at least one article — and people are still agitated.

Instead of going against the Tide, does anyone not realize that it all comes out in the wash in the end?!?
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Tide's a rather expensive detergent and all.

But can I funnel the purchase through MyPoints and end up with another 200 United miles or something for the transaction?
If your FlyerTalk name was bleachmouse; perhaps.

In all seriousness, it probably is possible, as Wal*Mart is a shopping partner of MyPoints. I am a member of MyPoints; but just like other programs, that one has devalued over the years.

You could also use your credit card — regardless of whether it gives cash back or miles or points — to take advantage of the deal by purchasing that laundry detergent. Aside from the cost of sales tax, it is like getting a bit of free money or free miles or points...
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Canarsie
BoardingArea is finally being cleaned up with at least one article — and people are still agitated.

Instead of going against the Tide, does anyone not realize that it all comes out in the wash in the end?!.
Except it doesn't quite all come out, and I'm one of many people with sensitive skin who has discovered that there are only a handful of laundry soaps out there that don't cause skin irritation. (Tide is on my 'good' list.)

I'm actually okay with the free Tide sorts of blog posts if there's a way you can stack those promos to get some travel benefits out of them, hence the Mypoints reference. Not so much if it comes down to the 'and then you can use it as your credit card spend to trigger bonus points- check out my affiliate link for the Red Lion Inns credit card' sort of slight stacking.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Except it doesn't quite all come out, and I'm one of many people with sensitive skin who has discovered that there are only a handful of laundry soaps out there that don't cause skin irritation. (Tide is on my 'good' list.)

I'm actually okay with the free Tide sorts of blog posts if there's a way you can stack those promos to get some travel benefits out of them, hence the Mypoints reference. Not so much if it comes down to the 'and then you can use it as your credit card spend to trigger bonus points- check out my affiliate link for the Red Lion Inns credit card' sort of slight stacking.
I've found Seventh Generation detergent (and softener) does really well with my skin, which is also very sensitive to detergents. Whether it's really due to the higher amount of "natural" ingredients or not, it just agrees with my skin. And I like the lavender & eucalyptus scent which is more subtle than the usual brands' heavily perfumed scents.

I'm a fan of Le Chic Geek though...her content does go beyond just the pure P&M stuff which to me is a feature not a bug (though being a guy I skip the occasional posts about women's clothing and such). And I have a lot of overlap with her geek-type interests in movies, TV shows, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
And here's a post (and blog) that makes that last one I posted look actually solid and useful. I'm actually longing for the BA of a few months ago. They're not even pretending to try any more.

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....x-las-loungin/
I don't understand the "point" of this blog other than to engage in arguments with people who happen upon his blog b/c Randy decided to put it in our faces on the front page of BA. I've never seen a more hostile comments section on a travel blog and that includes TBB who actually encourages that kind of back and forth.

His interview on CNN provided minimal information other than showing off that he flys for "free" on points by opening CCs. Which CCs should a newbie open? How many at a time or in a year? You won't find any of that in the interview or on his website so I would argue the interview was actually hurtful to the viewers.

My vote is for BA to replace his blog with DoC or Drew. Anyone with me?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MilesMath
I've never seen a more hostile comments section on a travel blog and that includes TBB who actually encourages that kind of back and forth. My vote is for BA to replace his blog with DoC or Drew. Anyone with me?
Newbies...

And no one is with you.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:22 pm

TPOL is simply the worst blog on BA, which in itself is quite a feat. It's aggressively awful. I would actually support replacing it with nothing.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
TPOL is simply the worst blog on BA, which in itself is quite a feat. It's aggressively awful. I would actually support replacing it with nothing.
Agreed. He should change his tag line (which in and of itself is awful) so it reads "Living doesn't have to suck, but my blog does."
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
But then we'd miss that dope post about "I thought I cancelled my card?!!?!!" that objectively added nothing of value to BA... A feat in and of itself
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
The back and forth on "MPX Purchases will/won't earn 5x on Amex Plat" is fairly amusing...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:24 am

What really mystifies me are all of the BA bloggers that publish weekly digest or "recap" posts. This is shameless filler, but that's not even the most obvious problem. Nobody cared about your slap-dash, barely coherent word-diarrhea posts the first time around, and we REALLY don't care about them the second time.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
[...] we REALLY don't care about them the second time.
You're wrongly assuming that the post was meant for you? Its all about pageviews and rankings... luckily the advertisers are double checking the quality of the pageviews and paying very little for such page impressions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.