Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:40 am

This gem was just posted by the new Prior2Boarding blogger, JetsettingBen. The piece reads like an 8th grade essay. But, on the bright side, it is the one thing I've read this morning that wasn't just a regurgitation of what another blogger wrote

http://jetsettingben.boardingarea.co...262.1411796112
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
This gem was just posted by the new Prior2Boarding blogger, JetsettingBen. The piece reads like an 8th grade essay. But, on the bright side, it is the one thing I've read this morning that wasn't just a regurgitation of what another blogger wrote

http://jetsettingben.boardingarea.co...262.1411796112
Even in 8th grade I think that would have received at best a C- from my English teacher! Is he getting paid by the hyphen?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So again, seriously, this blog has no business being on BA.

But I still have my favorite part, or really two.

First there's the unintentional pun about the influence of employee dress codes on passengers who might "follow suit." Ugh.

And then, second, there's this sentence, which has to be seen to be believed: "Airlines do and have refused travel to passengers whom are wearing clothing deemed as “inappropriate:, whether it’s to do with the image, language on the garment, or even if it’s offensive to the local culture."

That, my friends, is a straight cut-and-paste, random quotation mark and all. Whom?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Are there no standards for a blogger to be part of BA? I clicked on the link, against my better judgement, and it doesn't even meet the standards to get a passing grade on an eighth grade essay.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I have never seen the semicolon more violated and abused in my entire life, and I teach developmental English and ESL.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:43 am

And then this excerpt from his post on Disney Fastpasses today: "Since the launch of My Disney Experience, many visitors to Walt Disney World have renounced joy at the ability to schedule specific attractions and shows using FASTPASS even before they need to think about packing for their holiday."

The FASTPASS must be a pretty dismal failure if its causing visitors to renounce their joy
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:48 am

And then this excerpt from his post on Disney Fastpasses today: "Since the launch of My Disney Experience, many visitors to Walt Disney World have renounced joy at the ability to schedule specific attractions and shows using FASTPASS even before they need to think about packing for their holiday."

The FASTPASS must be a pretty dismal failure if its causing visitors to renounce their joy
LOL! Maybe he visited Disney in Bizzaro World??
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

That is just sad and a really awful commentary on what our educational system is producing. I guess he is not even attempting to be professional and either proof read or run a quick grammar check on what he produces.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I'll overuse "seriously" and say that, really seriously, there's a problem here that Boarding Area needs to address. This isn't simply a question of proofreading, carelessness, or even just basic quality control.

Here's another illustrative example: "Air New Zealand are an airline whom continuously punch above their weight."

Normal, work-a-day British English for an airline like NZ (judging in part by the NZ and BA forums here on Flyer Talk) in this context is the singular; and that "whom" just grates. All this is completely leaving aside the relative merits and demerits of personification in this particular instance, which isn't exactly something like "Death Be Not Proud" . . . .

(Edit: Corrected "AZ" to "NZ").

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jul 19, 2016 at 12:36 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I'll overuse "seriously" and say that, really seriously, there's a problem here that Boarding Area needs to address. This isn't simply a question of proofreading, carelessness, or even just basic quality control.

Here's another illustrative example: "Air New Zealand are an airline whom continuously punch above their weight."

Normal, work-a-day British English for an airline like AZ (judging in part by the AZ and BA forums here on Flyer Talk) in this context is the singular; and that "whom" just grates. All this is completely leaving aside the relative merits and demerits of personification in this particular instance, which isn't exactly something like "Death Be Not Proud" . . . .
Indeed, in most style guides references to corporate entities and similar organizations, would usually be singular. Some allow for using plural in the specific context of referencing the individuals within the company. I've noticed another BA blogger from the UK and numerous posters in the BA forum often misusing the plural when writing about airline companies.

I can't tell for sure what this blogger meant but the context doesn't seem to call for plural. (Note that Air New Zealand is "NZ").

As for the "whom"...ugh!

I'd almost think this blogger doesn't speak English as his first language but his bio seems to indicate otherwise.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Wow, that "Citi Prestige is losing Admirals' Club access" thing seemed to sneak up on the bloggers. . .and has almost immediately snuck off the first page at BA.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Wow, that "Citi Prestige is losing Admirals' Club access" thing seemed to sneak up on the bloggers. . .and has almost immediately snuck off the first page at BA.
Don't worry, 8-10 other bloggers will post about it soon in tone-deaf fashion.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Don't worry, 8-10 other bloggers will post about it soon in tone-deaf fashion.
Actually, here comes the good news--Club access for an additional month and we don't lose the 2X on dining! Plus, maybe Citi's thinking about getting into the lounge business a la Amex!

But for sure the tag line: "What do you make of these developments?" Cause, of course, the bloggers have shown in the past two days that commenter speculation is just as worthwhile as their own. . .
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:03 pm

Some BA bloggers are covering the Prestige devaluations more now...Miles to Memories was the one I noticed (not saying there weren't others) being most on top of trying to flesh things out, but I see others today finally catching up.

However OMAAT (author of the 143-part series on Prestige) and VFTW are awfully slow to communicate the more firm details that have been confirmed in the last few days (they did briefly post at the very beginning of the developments when little was confirmed). None of which comes as a surprise, of course.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
What is this "Monkey Miles..." drivel?
nineworldseries likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.