Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raffles
My 6 year old has done half of that (and all in premium cabins!). His new 'My airplane picshures' blog launches next week on BA.
Blog is sooo 2010... he has to vlog! Youtube, baby!
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Defense of what? Of not making superficial criticisms or praises about individuals based on the number of miles traveled and/or number of countries visited.

It's possible that a blog/blog entry is garbage, but that isn't a product of the number of miles traveled and/or of countries visited.

There is plenty of garbage coming out of people who have traveled way more than 150k miles and been to more than 15 countries. For example, there is a carpet-bagger occupant of a known address in the nation's capital who epitomizes that kind of person and loves attention by going on the attack or who knows what else. Would I find him to be a producer of good miles/points material in social media forums? No. But his famous social media rants grab plenty of attention.

So which miles/points blog is it that is famous for social media garbage produced by someone whose travel history is neither all that rich nor all that poor? Checking out garbage can have its purpose at times too, but spending too much time on garbage is a waste of time IMHO.
Thanks for that illuminating perspective.

Also, that's not what "carpetbagger" means.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Carpetbagger has more than one meaning, and it was used entirely appropriately in my post.

So which miles/points blog is it that is famous for social media garbage produced by someone whose travel history is neither all that rich nor all that poor? It's interesting to see what kind of "garbage" people are reading and to see who is spouting what.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:08 pm

Carpetbagger has more than one meaning, and it was used entirely appropriately in my post.

So which miles/points blog is it that is famous for social media garbage produced by someone whose travel history is neither all that rich nor all that poor? It's interesting to see what kind of "garbage" people are reading and to see who is spouting what.
I know the two meanings of carpetbagger. Neither apply. No one moved anywhere to run for office. No one moved from the American North to settle in the American South.
I don't understand the rest of your comment. But if you're trying to attack someone or some blog , just come out and do it directly.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Believing that someone knows two meanings of something is not the same thing as knowing all valid meanings of the same.

So which miles/points blog is supposedly "garbage" coming from someone being insulted based on how many miles and countries are part of their travel record?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:31 am

Believing that someone knows two meanings of something is not the same thing as knowing all valid meanings of the same.

So which miles/points blog is supposedly "garbage" coming from someone being insulted based on how many miles and countries are part of their travel record?
Sure, Jan.

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. Are you asking which blog put up a post bragging about how much they traveled when it was a total of 120,000 miles? Points With A Crew. Hes a real carpetbagger. There are a lot clearer ways of asking that question. I thought you knew what blog you were defending before you felt compelled to rush in and do so, on a point that obviously lots of people thought was valid or at least interesting. Silly me.

Last edited by Adam1222; Sep 27, 2017 at 4:56 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Sure, Jan.

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. Are you asking which blog put up a post bragging about how much they traveled when it was a total of 120,000 miles? Points With A Crew. Hes a real carpetbagger. There are a lot clearer ways of asking that question. I thought you knew what blog you were defending before you felt compelled to rush in and do so, on a point that obviously lots of people thought was valid or at least interesting. Silly me.
I wasn't defending a particular blog (or any blog for that matter), so who knows what to make of the silly stuff in the quote above

Traveling 120k miles and to 15 countries with a posse of proverbial rugrats, current and/or former, isn't exactly a joke for those who are of relatively average financial means in the US. If that is the travel which that blogger has done.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 27, 2017 at 5:35 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:44 am

I wasn't defending a particular blog (or any blog for that matter), so who knows what to make of the silly stuff in the quote above

Traveling 120k miles and to 15 countries with a posse of proverbial rugrats, current and/or former, isn't exactly a joke for those who are of relatively average financial means in the US. If that is the travel which that blogger has done.
120k miles and 15 countries lifetime. Not all with children.
We'll have to agree to disagree whether he is qualified to provide any meaningful perspective on flying or travel. I never suggested he was a bad person.
Several other carpetbaggers and I found it notable and lacking in self-awareness. (I moved from NY to DC too!)
I guess im confused as to why you would jump in to attack me for suggesting a blogger isnt an expert, without even knowing what blogger we are talking about. No one suggested that there is no conceivable person who could develop expertise without leaving his mother's basement. This blogger is not that person, and BA is misleading in how it presents it's bloggers as the *most * knowledgeable, experts in travel.
Hypotheticals you come up with in your goal to disagree with literally everything I say are worthless.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:53 am

In other news, I was heartened to seeing Seth, who I believe to be the shining star of Boarding Area (Not sarcasm), post about the Avgeeks fundraiser for Puerto Rico. I believe two other BA blogs have done so at this point. It reminded me of when this was truly a community of hobbyists, and not an extension of the credit card marketing industry/TMZ/rants about inferior champagne in business class.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:01 am
Suspended

I guess im confused as to why you would jump in to attack me for suggesting a blogger isnt an expert, without even knowing what blogger we are talking about.
The confession to confusion above is not a surprise, as the above is assuming attacks that never existed in my posts.

The proportion of BA blog entries that are as good as useless for me is very high and higher than it used to be. So I was curious which blog/blog entry was at issue.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
In other news, I was heartened to seeing Seth, who I believe to be the shining star of Boarding Area (Not sarcasm), post about the Avgeeks fundraiser for Puerto Rico. I believe two other BA blogs have done so at this point. It reminded me of when this was truly a community of hobbyists, and not an extension of the credit card marketing industry/TMZ/rants about inferior champagne in business class.
That was good to see. I'm surprised I haven't anything on FT promoting that and similar relief efforts. Or maybe it's there and I haven't found it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by 84fiero
That was good to see. I'm surprised I haven't anything on FT promoting that and similar relief efforts. Or maybe it's there and I haven't found it.
As am I.

However, I'm not a tall surprised to see a general lack of coverage on BA.

Out of sight, out of mind. Never mind our fellow Americans without water while I continue living out of a hotel or complain about having a seat mate on an AKL-DOH business class journey. (Cough cough) Today's Travel Update post drips with something close to debauchery but has more to do with a 'bag'
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 84fiero
A fairly moderate attempt is in FT cares: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyertalk-cares-688/
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Should we use the term Tarmac

Interesting that he mined OMNI for this. I mean, I get that bloggers steal borrow from FlyerTalk all the time, but going to OMNI is really scraping the bottom of the barrel....
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:46 am

Looks like BA has a new king - Sam Chui

Bittersweet in a way to think he could be appearing next to someone like PointsWithACrew or LiveAndLetFly - Sam Chui is a real pro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.