Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by cruisr
I just find the whole "engagement" false. The bloggers Do Not Care what the readers think. It's just to get clicks/comments/controversy.
A lot of us do care what readers think.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Did Gary Leff write that post for you?
Nah, just my ghostwriter
He's fired now. Please submit your application to MMS if you'd like you apply to be my next one.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Did Gary Leff write that post for you?
Oh my haha this is probably the best comment I've read this year

Very well done! So true, and sad.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
So, now we're just blogging every mundane aspect of a (surprisingly boring) trip to Portland, OR?

http://www.jeffsetter.com/nicholas-restaurant-se-grand/
http://www.jeffsetter.com/council-crest-park/
http://www.jeffsetter.com/tillamook-cheese/
http://www.jeffsetter.com/salt-straw/
http://www.jeffsetter.com/oregon-rail-heritage-center/
http://www.jeffsetter.com/isabels-cantina-portland/
http://www.jeffsetter.com/portland-m...t-city-center/

Can't wait until the next installment...

Last edited by nineworldseries; May 16, 2016 at 11:16 am
Old May 16, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I'm not even going to bother clicking any of the above links. The titles say it all. Seriously, a blog post on Tillamook cheese.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cruisr
Seriously, a blog post on Tillamook cheese.
It is a post about a driving tour to Cannon Beach and the Tillamook factory. Just like if I were to write about my day trip to Sintra while in Lisbon. Is that so wrong??

You can decide if you like the writing style or not. Or if you want to read the "travel" stuff on the blogs. But getting snippy about the fact that the guy named the post about visiting the cheese factory with the name of that factory is over the line IMO.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:27 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
So, now we're just blogging every mundane aspect of a (surprisingly boring) trip to Portland, OR?
Well, isn't boring a relative thing?

Yes, I know... our "family" vacation this month involves a family of 5 flying BA First Class on a 787-9 (5 of 8 first seats), LHR-KUL, with a quick connection (KUL-LGK) to a family beach villa (that's sort of like "camping," right?) at the Four Seasons Langkawi.... but, I also believe that my type of "family camping trip" isn't exactly of interest to everyone.....

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is a post about a driving tour to Cannon Beach and the Tillamook factory. Just like if I were to write about my day trip to Sintra while in Lisbon. Is that so wrong??

You can decide if you like the writing style or not. Or if you want to read the "travel" stuff on the blogs. But getting snippy about the fact that the guy named the post about visiting the cheese factory with the name of that factory is over the line IMO.
Yet, pretty much agree with sbm12's sentiments. Also, there must be a Tillamook rewards program. There just must be.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Meh, more original content there than in most BA offerings, including the 'titans.'

'Interesting' is in the eye of the beholder.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by kokonutz
'Interesting' is in the eye of the beholder.
I understand, but I also think that this relativistic way of thinking isn't particularly useful, either. Sure, everything's interesting to somebody, but if I had a blog and posted a 10-part series on "Best food trucks of Columbus OH," I should be pretty darn confident that almost nobody would care.

Blogging is writing, and the first two concerns of any writing, especially writing that you want as many people as possible to read, should be purpose and audience.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ok, then what is Tyler Birth doing on Boarding Area? It appeared on BA one day maybe two or three weeks ago.

Apart from being entirely in French -- which is naturally going to limit its audience -- it also seems to have little interesting to say. Today's posts on pajamas and on a newly announced alliance of Asian low-cost carriers, for example, I found to be virtually unreadable, and the posts over the past few days or so haven't been any better, at least by my lights. Maybe the post on Air France's internal shuttle operations was sort of interesting?

What am I missing?

On the other hand, You've Been Upgraded -- which is in German -- is almost invariably worth at least a look. It focuses on upper-end hotels and upgrades, which I don't believe anyone else does with quite the same flair. The pictures-only (no words) series of cityscapes with old postcards is interesting, too.

So what's the strategy here? What's next, a Spanish blog? I've just gotta be missing something . . . .
Old May 17, 2016, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Ok, then what is Tyler Birth doing on Boarding Area? It appeared on BA one day maybe two or three weeks ago.

Apart from being entirely in French -- which is naturally going to limit its audience -- it also seems to have little interesting to say. Today's posts on pajamas and on a newly announced alliance of Asian low-cost carriers, for example, I found to be virtually unreadable, and the posts over the past few days or so haven't been any better, at least by my lights. Maybe the post on Air France's internal shuttle operations was sort of interesting?

What am I missing?

On the other hand, You've Been Upgraded -- which is in German -- is almost invariably worth at least a look. It focuses on upper-end hotels and upgrades, which I don't believe anyone else does with quite the same flair. The pictures-only (no words) series of cityscapes with old postcards is interesting, too.

So what's the strategy here? What's next, a Spanish blog? I've just gotta be missing something . . . .
Don't forget "Miles Worker" that is written 100% in Chinese/Japanese characters.

I admit I haven't seen it in a while and my memory is ignorant as to which of the two it was
Old May 18, 2016, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Its part of the grand plan to be a global platform. YHBU is sadly written in German that reads like Google translate and is a pain to read.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Don't forget "Miles Worker" that is written 100% in Chinese/Japanese characters.
It's written in Chinese.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So what's the strategy here?
Expansion in to more markets, ones which focus on the global potential rather than solely English-speaking readers (which also tend to be mostly US-focused).
Old May 18, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
Expansion in to more markets, ones which focus on the global potential rather than solely English-speaking readers (which also tend to be mostly US-focused).
Certainly worked for Inside Flyer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.