Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Was that part of the 'nodes launch tour' that Randy and Tommy were hopping around Europe on last week? Or was that just the multi-language IBBs?

Originally Posted by theeuflyer
As a language pedant of just about the highest order, I must defend myself from this "almost universal" accusation.

I'm not going to comment on other blogs, but I can assure you that the utmost attention is paid to the quality of the (English) English on my particular patch.

By all means come and have a look . I may have limited appeal to the Americans out there, but I do aim to give a coherent and irritation-free read. I also promise to keep stories about faeces to an absolute minimum.
I will say your writings seems to be in good shape. And welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I think there has to be some kind of new record. There is currently a blogger who for the past month and half has used one international trip to supply ~ 90% of their content for the last 45 days or so (including today).
Which one?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero

Which one?
points and pixie dust
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
points and pixie dust
Wait. You didn't appreciate a rare blogger review of the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome!?

Ingrate!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Ok, Oliver2002, you made me laugh. The German writing sucks? The writing in English on Boarding Area is almost universally horrible, ungrammatical and (sometimes) even incoherent and, no, I don't just mean that certain Atlanta-centric blog. Sentences run on, they don't use periods. Non-sentence sentences. What's this possessive thing with gerunds, and what's a gerund anyway? I try to look past it all for the occasional nugget.
Touche. Blogging is indeed people writing logs/journals on the web and shouldn't be held to a high standard. That said I didn't notice the BA writing to be as bad as you say, maybe because I skipped the majority a long time ago.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
points and pixie dust
Wow, and here I thought OMAAT really knew how to milk a trip - she has him beat!

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Wait. You didn't appreciate a rare blogger review of the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome!?

Ingrate!
I guess Astrophsx is just one of the Angrys now!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Last page or so has been FTers swapping travel recs/stories (which is great!) but not exactly pertinent to the conversation I was trying to have
Raffles is a blogger talking about his blog
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
points and pixie dust
I guess when you don't have anything original to post (not counting asking about giving Ambien to your kids) you just milk one trip for all you can. There are no standards at BA sadly. I do not read her blog and you have reaffirmed that I made the correct choice.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by cruisr
I guess when you don't have anything original to post (not counting asking about giving Ambien to your kids) you just milk one trip for all you can. There are no standards at BA sadly. I do not read her blog and you have reaffirmed that I made the correct choice.
I have 'moved on' to some extent from trip reports unless there is a good reason to cover something. That would be, for eg, a particularly interesting flight or a hotel where my readers may actually go.

I have been trying to use trips as a springboard for other discussion - using a Lufty domestic J as a way of comparing seat pitch with BA's new offering, or using a Hilton Munich stay to discuss how Hilton generally gives elite benefits on 3rd party stays (which that was).
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
I have 'moved on' to some extent from trip reports unless there is a good reason to cover something. That would be, for eg, a particularly interesting flight or a hotel where my readers may actually go.

I have been trying to use trips as a springboard for other discussion - using a Lufty domestic J as a way of comparing seat pitch with BA's new offering, or using a Hilton Munich stay to discuss how Hilton generally gives elite benefits on 3rd party stays (which that was).
which makes sense, rather than repeating yourself.

but i get the impression a lot of people like reading (and writing) the same premium cabin discussion. i dont recall seeing a lot of actual service discussion, comparison, etc. although its clear from FT discussion that people do pay attention to crews, routes, directions (ex certain cities) etc.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Like Oliver2002, I'm afraid I just skip most of BA these days and so I hadn't even seen TheEUFlyer. I'll have to start stopping by to see how the EU travel cognoscenti really live! On the blogger trip report front, I hardly know where to begin. Points & Pixie Dust is usually very skippable, I'll agree, but at least she really does know Paris. One of the other bloggers got confused (I kid you not) just taking the RER into the city from CDG. Anyway, my favorite kind of "trip report" posts tend to be the more offbeat ones where humor somehow emerges from foursquare disaster, and I think "us[ing] trips as a springboard for other discussion" is also a great idea.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:12 pm

Whatever would we do without you, Gary?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....en-heres-know/
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It took me almost two months to finish my current trip report from a trip in June, simply because I've been swamped at Real Work and haven't had the time to finish it (I don't earn a cent from my blog yet).

I don't particularly enjoy writing trip reports, but they get the most views. I've done a few (in my opinion) really good posts about travel in general and they did well for a day or two, but on days where I don't post anything my "residual clicks" come from trip reports.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:18 am

Some threads on FlyerTalk are completely addictive in a not-so-edifying sort of way: I keep coming back again and again just to see the train wrecks. Sometimes this stuff is pure greatness. I love visiting the AA "Busted Selling Miles" and the Delta "DYKWIA" threads, for two examples, but I have to admit that maybe this thread is my favorite. Does it get any better than the post JpetekYXMD80 links to together with "Whatever would we do without you, Gary"? If anyone's found anything better in this genre -- anything -- let me know!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Some threads on FlyerTalk are completely addictive in a not-so-edifying sort of way: I keep coming back again and again just to see the train wrecks. Sometimes this stuff is pure greatness. I love visiting the AA "Busted Selling Miles" and the Delta "DYKWIA" threads, for two examples, but I have to admit that maybe this thread is my favorite. Does it get any better than the post JpetekYXMD80 links to together with "Whatever would we do without you, Gary"? If anyone's found anything better in this genre -- anything -- let me know!
+1
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 am

I hate being serious for a moment but this morning I came across what I think is the worst blog post that I've ever read by anyone, anywhere: Points and Pixie Dust's "My advice? Stay away from the Louvre in Paris." Apparently what is incontestably, beyond peradventure, one of the world's best museums can get very crowded in August and so you shouldn't go there -- at all. The accompanying photo, predictably enough, shows a big room full of camera-toting tourists snapping away in front of the Mona Lisa. What more need be said?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.