Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Vacation or trip report for tax write offs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Sometimes I have to wonder if bloggers are posting just to get a tax write off on personal vacations. Some are just pretty sloppy in their efforts to piece together a report.

Example.. The Points Guy who recently reviewed the W Hotel in Paris and graced his viewers with these out of focus iPhone shots (8 photos total, half of which are of the actual room):

Notice how he had to go into iPhoto and correct the angle of the photo.

Old May 26, 2014, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The allowance to get US tax deductions/credits for such activities would be contingent upon, amongst other things, the activities going beyond being a hobby and meeting the IRS criteria for being something beside a hobby. Some people who take tax writeoffs for hobby activities they believed were part of a business can sometimes end up with a nasty surprise from Uncle Sam when the IRS finds the activity to be more hobby than business based on its publicized standards.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's a tricky one which ends up as 'it depends'.

If I fly to Manchester tomorrow, fly straight back and review the flights, I would write off 100 per cent.

If I stayed 1 night in a hotel then came back, I could probably still claim the flight and hotel.

If I stayed 5 nights and flew home, I think the tax man would think I was having a laugh if I claimed either the hotel or the flight, even if I reviewed the flight, since the flight was presumably part of a holiday.

All very grey ....
Old May 27, 2014, 5:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Don't compare the IRS to European tax authorities... since the US tax codes doesn't allow a 100% deduction, the rules are a bit more relaxed. Also TPG seems to be a rather large operation so this is probably not just one of 2-3 trips. Also often you get quick handheld photo live updates during the trip and a rather elaborate review with food and bathroom details later one when the trip is complete
Old May 27, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Those are pretty terrible photos.

Is it wrong to say that I wish some of the selfies people take of themselves in airline pajamas were that blurry!?
Old May 27, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Don't compare the IRS to European tax authorities... since the US tax codes doesn't allow a 100% deduction, the rules are a bit more relaxed. Also TPG seems to be a rather large operation so this is probably not just one of 2-3 trips. Also often you get quick handheld photo live updates during the trip and a rather elaborate review with food and bathroom details later one when the trip is complete
Also it depends on the writer's scope and purpose. Unlike the relatively small number of "miles & points" bloggers we're most familiar with, there are true travel writers who review destinations, activities, etc. as part of their full time freelance job, or independent entity. Some of those folks may have a broader range of allowable expenses than the "here's my 20th LH F trip review this month" types.

In any case things like deductions are so fact-dependent, I don't know that anyone can make a blanket assumption or declaration.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles

All very grey ....
Most of the tax world is gray. It only becomes black and white after you've been through the audit.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.