Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I afford to travel and how much money I earn from Travel Blogging

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:01 am

Thanks again to all.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
You can spend a lot of time (and years) of trying to become one of them super successful bloggers or you can refocus on your career. You know, enhance your skills ON your chosen career! Sometimes I wonder if all aspiring bloggers did that they would be happier AND the rewards would be MORE way earlier than the promise land of successful bloggers.

One more thing: Do not let others define what success means to YOU.

Blogging takes TALENT and STAMINA. After 5 years you can make less than minimum wage like me lol. For the record, I have not focused on monetizing. Some may differ on that :-)

Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gpapadop
You can spend a lot of time (and years) of trying to become one of them super successful bloggers or you can refocus on your career. You know, enhance your skills ON your chosen career!
Why is this not an option as a career?

Odds of becoming a millionaire doing it are probably as low as making it as a starter in the NBA. But that doesn't mean someone cannot make a decent income in the space if they combine decent content and a decent marketing strategy. Lots of folks manage at that level.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
But that doesn't mean someone cannot make a decent income in the space if they combine decent content and a decent marketing strategy. Lots of folks manage at that level.
All the work that will be put into that could go to obtain or enhance other more marketable skills. I don't know, coding, certifications, MBA, etc.

Or work assoff to become yet another travel expert who uses frequent flier miles to fly for "free"...with so many competitors doing it out there already.

I am not saying it can not be done. What I am saying is that it is EXTREMELY hard and the odds are not in your favor. Because of talent and stamina. And, you know, life happens. There are SO MANY dead blogs out there, the streets are littered with bodies

Must find voice, must ENJOY doing this, must KEEP at it for longer than you ever thought, blah blah blah...

Good luck to the OP.

I should do a post titled "Hey new blogger are you out of your frigging mind to think you can teach people how to fly for free when there are hundreds/thousands doing it longer than you?" Or something like that
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All the work that will be put into that could go to obtain or enhance other more marketable skills. I don't know, coding, certifications, MBA, etc.
Because all of those are so easy??

And forget easy. What about personally rewarding?

Choosing a career (or just a job) just because it is easy or generates more cash is not the right choice for everyone. Dismissing the alternative so flippantly is unfortunate.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Here's the thing. When you have kids you discover stuff like stampylonghead on YouTube, a British kid who films himself playing Minecraft. That's it.

It is one of the top 10 channels and the guy will earn more than every miles and points blogger combined, I'm sure.

Why even bother encouraging my kids to go to university if they can film themselves playing video games all day and earn 8 figures?
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: All of Them
Because all of those are so easy??

And forget easy. What about personally rewarding?

Choosing a career (or just a job) just because it is easy or generates more cash is not the right choice for everyone. Dismissing the alternative so flippantly is unfortunate.
I've spent the last 9 years in a job that has been professionally and financially rewarding and enriching, but personaly leaving a void. I am leaving in two weeks after 9 years in the last job to attempt a full time living in this space. Granted I've done 4-5 years of prep work and it is indeed incredibly hard, but my family and I are willing to set forward a new, well prepped path, and face the possibility of failure rather than continue on a rat race that leaves us all unsatisfied. Is it terrifying? Absolutely. Is it exciting? definitely.

My advice to all looking to change careers, regardless of the fields, is to recognize the foundation work that must be laid over the course of months or years. You should also surround yourself with people smarter than you in areas of your self-recognized shortfalls before jumping ship. Hasty decisions and a lack of planning are the fast track to disappointment and hardship.
sbm12 and kokonutz like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
Here's the thing. When you have kids you discover stuff like stampylonghead on YouTube, a British kid who films himself playing Minecraft. That's it.

It is one of the top 10 channels and the guy will earn more than every miles and points blogger combined, I'm sure.

Why even bother encouraging my kids to go to university if they can film themselves playing video games all day and earn 8 figures?
And Ronaldinho made $29.5 million playing football. May as well blow college savings on a new car and buy the kid a soccer ball instead. @:-)

Originally Posted by Richklhs
I've spent the last 9 years in a job that has been professionally and financially rewarding and enriching, but personaly leaving a void. I am leaving in two weeks after 9 years in the last job to attempt a full time living in this space. Granted I've done 4-5 years of prep work and it is indeed incredibly hard, but my family and I are willing to set forward a new, well prepped path, and face the possibility of failure rather than continue on a rat race that leaves us all unsatisfied. Is it terrifying? Absolutely. Is it exciting? definitely.

My advice to all looking to change careers, regardless of the fields, is to recognize the foundation work that must be laid over the course of months or years. You should also surround yourself with people smarter than you in areas of your self-recognized shortfalls before jumping ship. Hasty decisions and a lack of planning are the fast track to disappointment and hardship.
Good luck to you! We're working on making our side gig lucrative enough to become our full-time gig and go digital nomad. But it's NOT in this over-saturated space littered with dead geese.

Are you listening?

Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:44 pm

I agree with your first sentence 100%.

The second one is flippant indeed, you missed my point.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:48 pm

Funny you mentioned that! My kid wanted to design video games when he was young. Sent him to a tech camp and was hooked. Even designed a game he still has! Thankfully, he came to his senses later on and is going well in college. I always told him he must LIKE what he does for a living, must have a passion for it. Otherwise, not worth it, we only live once.

If aspiring bloggers have a TRUE passion for it and not driven by the money first, sure take a crack at it. Life is not worth living with regrets. Okay...gotta pick up my daughter from dance camp lol.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Richklhs

Great post!

Leaving TPG to blog on your own? I always wondered why you didn't
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: All of Them
Great post!

Leaving TPG to blog on your own? I always wondered why you didn't
One of my requirements to ever consider leaving is you link one of my posts.
gpapadop likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:33 am
Suspended

Smile Some tips about it

Travel blogging is a huge money source for travelers. Believe me! I will recommend you to collaborate with brands or guest blogging. I have 3 friends who are traveling in this way. They have no other job by the way. But they use some websites to earn money while traveling. (like Glocalzone) Also, they use Couchsurfing and blogging about that(İt takes lots of traffic).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i see thread has been bumped

so i will note that this is hilarious >

Bless. We should be grateful no-one ever told this lot they could make $500,000 per year writing a miles and points blog instead.
84fiero and kokonutz like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Good luck to you! We're working on making our side gig lucrative enough to become our full-time gig and go digital nomad. But it's NOT in this over-saturated space littered with dead geese.
And since this thread was bumped, the above is actually happening:

ReadyJetRoam ? Turning a passion for travel into a digital nomad lifestyle.

Don't worry, the blog is just for fun...no credit card huckstering or even ads....yet.
Xyzzy and obscure2k like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.