Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Has Barclays bumped up payments to bloggers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I only ask because:

http://themilesprofessor.com/2013/11...-credit-cards/

Every other 'best for beginners' list I have seen starts with high-paying Chase, typically the Sapphire!

No one ever mentions no-paying CapOne.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I guess bloggers can't quite measure up to Alec Baldwin

But yeah, Barclay's must be throwing more feed into the blog trough...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I guess bloggers can't quite measure up to Alec Baldwin

But yeah, Barclay's must be throwing more feed into the blog trough...
I'm watching to see if this becomes a trend.

Kind of a fun game!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I must confess I was not aware this Barclay's card was so lucrative ... 2.2% back good on any travel booking (which will then earn miles/points/etc) is a pretty nice deal IMO, and arguably better than any points program out there which seem to be subject to devaluation that seems to occur more and more often.

Of course, as we learned with the Citi ThankYou Points program a few years ago, these points programs can be hit with devaluations too ...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
I must confess I was not aware this Barclay's card was so lucrative ... 2.2% back good on any travel booking (which will then earn miles/points/etc) is a pretty nice deal IMO, and arguably better than any points program out there which seem to be subject to devaluation that seems to occur more and more often.

Of course, as we learned with the Citi ThankYou Points program a few years ago, these points programs can be hit with devaluations too ...
I got my first Barclays a couple weeks ago. But it was the USAir card. Just to rack up a quick 35k miles that will eventually become AA miles.

Didn't give any bloggers the affiliate revenue for it, though, since I didn't see anyone suggest that.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I guess I didn't really make the point I intended to with my post, which was maybe ... just maybe, the Mile Professor had the Barclays Card number one on her list because she really believes it's the best option and it wasn't influenced by how high her referral may be for it.

FYI, the US Airways Card has some good features, in particular that you get a 5k discount on awards solely on US metal, if you combine that with off-peak awards there's some nice deals. I booked four FC tickets to PUJ this September, which is off-peak, for 180k recently, and I was even able to include a stopover in CLT for the twins to visit Grandma on that trip, making it even sweeter for us.

Amazingly enough, there's still at least two more FC award seats on our CLT-PUJ-CLT flights, maybe you and your lovely bride would want to join us koko ... we'd even let her sit next to one of the twins if she wanted!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I guess I didn't really make the point I intended to with my post, which was maybe ... just maybe, the Mile Professor had the Barclays Card number one on her list because she really believes it's the best option and it wasn't influenced by how high her referral may be for it. ;
I know this thread was all in good fun, but I'm going to jump in anyway and say that I know MP and, regardless of what some bloggers do, she's not the type to push a card simply because of a payment to her.

It's a pretty good-looking card and I'll vouch for her that you are correct, she's putting it up on top because of its attributes.

Mike
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:19 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Koko you are wrong

RE: the Sapphire card. It is recommended only because it is a solid card. the other reason is not true
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
We all work for the buck, and look for the easy buck..

Discover has had 2% rebates for many a years,

Barclay will sweeten the deal for ll
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just about to start this thread - the bloggers are tripping over themselves trying to get everyone to sign up for this card. (I do have this card and it's my main card, but I went directly to the source - no love for the bloggers.)

Look at this post:

http://milevalue.com/should-you-use-...get-to-hawaii/

Truly pathetic. The comparison he wants to make is cash v. Avios. But, guess what? $$ gets in the way. Totally distracts from the message.

Pathetic.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by josephstern
I was just about to start this thread - the bloggers are tripping over themselves trying to get everyone to sign up for this card. (I do have this card and it's my main card, but I went directly to the source - no love for the bloggers.).
I would have emailed a blogger and offered to split the money 50/50!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
I would have emailed a blogger and offered to split the money 50/50!
I have tried that. Apparently they are not allowed to give kick-backs on their kick-backs. @:-)

Chase is clamping down on blogger quotas. Maybe that's why Barclay's is gaining blogger popularity.

I guess I didn't really make the point I intended to with my post, which was maybe ... just maybe, the Mile Professor had the Barclays Card number one on her list because she really believes it's the best option and it wasn't influenced by how high her referral may be for it.
I hear you. But then why do no bloggers ever talk about Cap One or Discover...or even include them on a best-of list?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase is clamping down?

It's amazing - they kill of accounts for individual left and right based on many threads here on FT (way more than Citi or WF or BofA) and yet they pursue these accounts through the blogs. Maybe they're finally getting their act together.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Chase is clamping down on blogger quotas. Maybe that's why Barclay's is gaining blogger popularity.
Barclay's has always been easier to get in on.
Originally Posted by josephstern
Chase is clamping down?
Yes. A lot. Well, they did a lot a year or so ago. But they still do change the rules or who's allowed to play every now and then.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Speaking of Arrival vs. Cap1:

http://boardingarea.com/dealswelike/...-venture-card/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.