Reload this Page >

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Oh, the humanity!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And then, when VFTW gets into my field, he really shows how he wants the facts to fit his narrative: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ngs-need-know/. It's a dissenting opinion where he finds his quotes, which is NOT the opinion of the court that decided the case. But, of course, it's not AA so ol' Gar feels free to bomb away.

No doubt UA wasn't given warm fuzzies by the majority (and kudos to Seth for communicating that subtlety that VFTW seems to miss), but courts generally couch language entering summary judgment in the most extreme terms possible since the legal standard for summary judgment requires accepting the plaintiff's best case as true, with no facts in dispute and all inferences that could be drawn from the facts resolved in the plaintiff's favor, in determining that the plaintiff has no chance of prevailing should the matter proceed to trial.

Maybe more legal analysis than you wanted this time of the year so Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
And then, when VFTW gets into my field, he really shows how he wants the facts to fit his narrative: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ngs-need-know/. It's a dissenting opinion where he finds his quotes, which is NOT the opinion of the court that decided the case. But, of course, it's not AA so ol' Gar feels free to bomb away.

No doubt UA wasn't given warm fuzzies by the majority (and kudos to Seth for communicating that subtlety that VFTW seems to miss), but courts generally couch language entering summary judgment in the most extreme terms possible since the legal standard for summary judgment requires accepting the plaintiff's best case as true, with no facts in dispute and all inferences that could be drawn from the facts resolved in the plaintiff's favor, in determining that the plaintiff has no chance of prevailing should the matter proceed to trial.

Maybe more legal analysis than you wanted this time of the year so Happy Holidays!
Gary basically admits in the comments that he wrote the article title as click bait.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Gary basically admits in the comments that he wrote the article title as click bait.
It looks like the title changed from "rules" to "says" ... still shows "rules" on boardingarea.com
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by rwinn
It looks like the title changed from "rules" to "says" ... still shows "rules" on boardingarea.com
Thing is, the story is interesting enough without having to click-bait/exaggerate.

It's click-baiting for the sake of click-baiting.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:53 pm

Someone should start a blog called "View from the Screen" and just give a daily top 10 list of best posts of BA blog posts and then a top 10 click bait stories. Litter the page with ads and credit card referrals.

The new trend on BA is to not write your own content... in fact... to limit your post to 2 sentences and a link to an article. Someone should just turn the tables on them!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
just give a daily top 10 list of best posts of BA blog posts
This might suffice somewhat — and you get to click on any of the articles you believe should move further up...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

How to Get Medical Coverage from Your Credit Card
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2014/...traveling.html
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Grrrrr. Why did I click the link. This one can also go under click bait.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:33 pm

Thumbs down

ugh

When I wrote on AMEX's premium global assist, I explicitly warned that emergency medical transportation is not, and thus should not be considered, an alternative to real insurance. Because, well, it's not.

Ironically, despite the glowing overview of the benefit:

Looking over the programs, American Express as a part of the Platinum card is by far the furthest-reaching and most liberal.
AMEX will NOT cover any of the hypothetical scenarios mentioned earlier on in the post:

but what if it had been something more serious? What if I needed to see a doctor or go to the emergency room? A broken bone, a bad cut or trouble breathing would have required immediate attention by a medical professional, and what would we have done?
This is different from "bad" advice in other blogs because it is downright dangerous advice. I'd hate to think of any readers relying on AMEX for immediate medical attention, or being unexpectedly hit with exorbitant hospital bills because they thought they were covered.

edit

And the referral link is to the platinum card. Seriously ....

Last edited by SansSerif; Dec 30, 2014 at 3:05 pm Reason: Typo and affiliate disbelief
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SansSerif
ugh

When I wrote on AMEX's premium global assist, I explicitly warned that emergency medical transportation is not, and thus should not be considered, an alternative for real insurance. Because, well, it's not.

Ironically, despite the glowing overview of the benefit:

AMEX will NOT cover any of the hypothetical scenarios mentioned earlier on in the post:

This is different from "bad" advice in other blogs because it is downright dangerous advice. I'd hate to think of any readers relying on AMEX for immediate medical attention, or being unexpectedly hit with exorbitant hospital bills because they thought they were covered.

edit

And the referral link is to the platinum card. Seriously ....
Wow.... That's dangerously bad. Much worse then their typically wrong advice on avios, etc

Makes me scared to see what advice they will be slinging at their road shows
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by freeloader
Wow.... That's dangerously bad. Much worse then their typically wrong advice on avios, etc

Makes me scared to see what advice they will be slinging at their road shows
And all for the low price of $250 bucks to have it slung at you!

It doesn't appear that the Barclays benefits linked in the post provide anywhere near what the post implies it does, either.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:39 am

This is going off topic. The thread is about bloggers posting wrong or misleading advice. There is always going to be a group on Flyertalk critical of bloggers.. which is why they pushed these conversations to an "external miles" section. I would say a majority of readers have no clue these conversations even exist, hence why they get so upset when people point out wrong/misleading information, click bait, killing deals, or pushing links. I would think that out of the most popular bloggers that Ben posts the most accurate information. He may have his own style of writing and opinions, but I think in this thread we should focus in on the actual posting of wrong or misleading information.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Passive aggression is sad.
I'd say much of this forum you're ambassador for is sad, then. The number of threads that go off into "I don't like this blogger's lifestyle because of reasons so I'll be snarky"... well, it's a leitmotif here.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:00 am

I find it a bit ludicrous to be criticizing a bunch of CC shills who masquerade as "experts" and pimp CC links all day long. They compete with banksters, commission-based financial advisors, lawyers and used car salesmen for the bottom of the ethical hierarchy.

Last edited by farwest101; Jan 6, 2015 at 12:09 pm Reason: added commission based financial advisors, 'cause not all FAs are scum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.