Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Ooooh...comment war between a travel blogger and travel newspaper columnist!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 1:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

http://first2board.com/thedealmommy/...ii-wapotravel/

HT: Pickles
Old May 15, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Starwood, US Airways/The New American
I think Deal Mommy did a superb job of analyzing the deal and showing how there are better deals. I don't think the reporter had any valid points. A deal is a deal only if you can afford it!
Old May 15, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
hats off to deal mommy. very logical and well written.

i always get the feeling that there is a country club mentality about most bloggers - a lot of them will REFUSE to call each other (except when they call out chris elliott). and if they ever do, man it gets defensive quickly (case in point, this - http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...zies-come-out/ )

its refreshing when someone points out someone else being wrong (granted this is a blogger call out a newspaper travel writer). It'd be nice, especially for the benefit of their readers, when other bloggers expose some of junk that others are spewing (other then travelbloggerbuzz)
Old May 15, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Good job by Deal Mommy! I think the tone of her blog post was fair and impartial, simply calling it for what it was. A 'deal' that, with a little effort, could be made into a better 'deal'.

The Washington Post writer, however, came out of the chute totally on the defensive. Not to say that the price and deal she quoted wasn't available or maybe even something someone might want in a pinch, but she just simply refused to acknowledge that the Deal Mommy's findings would also work.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
i always get the feeling that there is a country club mentality about most bloggers - a lot of them will REFUSE to call each other (except when they call out chris elliott). and if they ever do, man it gets defensive quickly (case in point, this - http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...zies-come-out/ )

its refreshing when someone points out someone else being wrong (granted this is a blogger call out a newspaper travel writer). It'd be nice, especially for the benefit of their readers, when other bloggers expose some of junk that others are spewing (other then travelbloggerbuzz)
I completely agree about the country club statement.
But do you see the irony in your statement? The follow up comments on the post in question are mostly First2Board bloggers just backing up their colleague. And 9 minutes after this is posted, the First2Board co-founder backs her up here too.

I think I'm on neither side here.
The WaPo "deal" is typical newspaper travel section drivel. Lazy, uninspired but not horrible.
But Deal Mommy's $700 savings requires some family un-friendly sacrifices IMO:
a) A *minimum* four hour drive before and after an 10-11 hour flight. What time do you leave the house here? 5 or 6AM and you're still taking a risk with traffic. Best to stay at a hotel the night before. There's another day and another $100.
b) An Economy-class car for a family of four. Those cars are tiny and really stripped down. You really don't want a car in Waikiki anyway. Just do a few day rentals and use the bus.
c) A downgrade from a full service Marriott to a boutique Aqua in central Waikiki, closer to the canal than the beach. Waikiki can get a little sketchy back there.

I appreciate the idea behind the post, but the original deal is not that bad and the alternative isn't clearly a better value. Sadly, it's what I've come to expect from Deal Mommy, click-bait and hyperbole. And she managed to fit in a referral link too, undisclosed as per usual.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
But do you see the irony in your statement? The follow up comments on the post in question are mostly First2Board bloggers just backing up their colleague. And 9 minutes after this is posted, the First2Board co-founder backs her up here too.

The WaPo "deal" is typical newspaper travel section drivel. Lazy, uninspired but not horrible.
a) A *minimum* four hour drive before and after an 10-11 hour flight. What time do you leave the house here? 5 or 6AM and you're still taking a risk with traffic. Best to stay at a hotel the night before. There's another day and another $100.
b) An Economy-class car for a family of four. Those cars are tiny and really stripped down. You really don't want a car in Waikiki anyway. Just do a few day rentals and use the bus.
c) A downgrade from a full service Marriott to a boutique Aqua in central Waikiki, closer to the canal than the beach. Waikiki can get a little sketchy back there.

I appreciate the idea behind the post, but the original deal is not that bad and the alternative isn't clearly a better value. Sadly, it's what I've come to expect from Deal Mommy, click-bait and hyperbole. And she managed to fit in a referral link too, undisclosed as per usual.
those are some good points, that i hadn't considered, especially the 4 hours drive part
Old May 16, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeloader
h

Well that is part of the reason THIS forum exists: to break down the country club mentality with cold hard facts posted in a forum where we will not be censored for speaking truth to power. ^
Old May 16, 2013, 11:20 am
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,

Thanks for your comments. I think they're fair, with a couple of caveats:
a) I do disclose: right up on top on the "Disclosures" tab.
b) I actually wouldn't have suggested Oahu at all (I prefer Kona for families), would have done a park and fly hotel package from Newark, and DEFINITELY would have taken a bigger car, but WAPO had enough of a conniption with the changes I did make so I kept it simple.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy
Thanks for your comments. I think they're fair, with a couple of caveats:
a) I do disclose: right up on top on the "Disclosures" tab.
Yes, but it is hidden on the mobile site, and even the standard site does not conform to the spirit of the FTC .com Disclosures guidelines. Kind of ironic that by referring your users to a single-source search engine instead of an aggregator you could possibly be guilty of what you're accusing the WaPo writer of in the post.
At least you can take criticism much better than the newspaper journalist, I'll give you that.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:05 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Yes, but it is hidden on the mobile site, and even the standard site does not conform to the spirit of the FTC .com Disclosures guidelines. Kind of ironic that by referring your users to a single-source search engine instead of an aggregator you could possibly be guilty of what you're accusing the WaPo writer of in the post.
At least you can take criticism much better than the newspaper journalist, I'll give you that.
Thanks for flagging the mobile issue: since I write and post from a laptop/netbook it's not something I would have considered. The Hotels.com price I actually pulled after looking at Kayak. Others had a lower nightly rate, but this was the cheapest I found in total after fees.

As for criticism, not everyone is going to agree with my approach. It's certainly nothing personal! Thanks for reading.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
I’ve been writing about travel deals for the Washington Post for more than 20 years.
Classic old-media hauteur. And what's with it taking her 9 hours to drive from Washington to Newark??
Old May 17, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by China Clipper
Classic old-media hauteur. And what's with it taking her 9 hours to drive from Washington to Newark??
One would think that a 20-year veteran of travel writing would know to not get on 95 at peak hours. :-:

If she can't manage a drive from DC to NYC efficiently, why would anyone take her advice on getting from DC to HNL!?!??!
Old May 17, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
And as a 20-year veteran of I-95 it has never taken me more than 6 hours and that was the Sunday after Thanksgiving when I was too stupid to know better. Normally it's between 4 and 5 hrs. If you have brains, you take the train or the air shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.