Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Can you trust bloggers to give you the best offer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by HMPS
yes, I have "used " Darius at MM Secrets too. No complaints.
I have too he is really good. Some have accused him of giving out too much info.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
I'd just like to add that a 25k bonus for the Amex premier gold card has been listed here at flyertalk for a while, but The Points Guy and One Mile at a Time have created posts about this offer today saying that amex just came out with a new offer. It's only new for getting a commission to sign up, they couldn't get a commission off the offer listed here at flyertalk. That said, both websites are an excellent source of information and are on my list of daily reads.
No. Until yesterday, the 25k offer was by referral only (via existing Cardmembers - limited time offer). TPG posted a blog about it. Now it has been made public. However it is not the first time he is mentioning it "for getting a commission to sign up".

I am all for critique .... but not baseless lies.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
bottom line is, tpg, mms, gary and lucky all try to be upfront and honest about their links and referrals, but they're more involved in the flying than the churning; they're not always on top of the best offers. and that's not their job. you gotta do your own homework to find what you think is best before jumping in.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by metallim
and that's not their job. you gotta do your own homework to find what you think is best before jumping in.
Then what exactly is their job?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Their job is to make money for themselves :P But seriously, reputations are earned with a lot of hard work but lost very easily.

Speaking of which, why are all of Frugal Travel Guy's posted time stamped at 3:05 am EST? I'm on the west coast and I've see many posts that were well after that time period, yet always backdated...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Their job is to make money for themselves :P But seriously, reputations are earned with a lot of hard work but lost very easily.

Speaking of which, why are all of Frugal Travel Guy's posted time stamped at 3:05 am EST? I'm on the west coast and I've see many posts that were well after that time period, yet always backdated...
Didn't know anyone still read Frugal Travel Guy anymore.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
The Best Deal/Offer is up to you and youself...

... I've seen the thread and thought it was the same offer as presented in the thread, 50k after meeting spend, plus $150 AA credit on each.

After I got it, I looked at the benefits and didn't see the $150. I went to the thread and saw it was a different link....
I'm not blaming him per say, but when he lists it as top deals and then it is not, then yeah, I'm a bit baffled. I did look through many of the threads, but there are pages and pages of offers, counteroffers, etc. It's not easy to keep track of anything. When it's listed as top deals, then it should be the best deal/deals.
(Underline mine)

Don't assign blame to others when it's up to oneself to conduct the research before committing to any offer.

Not to mention "best" in the best offers can mean differently to different people. The bottom line is, no one can decide what's the best deal for you.

Originally Posted by saacman5033
I would guess that your above quoted statements are mostly baseless accusations.
+10000

Originally Posted by WineCountryFlyer
I think the lesson learned here is "do your own homework". Are you really trying to blame somebody because you didn't thoroughly read what you were signing up for?
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Please do your own due deligence before signing up for any offer. If you didn't, then so sad and too bad!
Originally Posted by metallim
bottom line is, tpg, mms, gary and lucky all try to be upfront and honest about their links and referrals, but they're more involved in the flying than the churning; they're not always on top of the best offers. and that's not their job. you gotta do your own homework to find what you think is best before jumping in.
+4

Last edited by lin821; Feb 22, 2012 at 5:17 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:06 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Didn't know anyone still read Frugal Travel Guy anymore.
Oh Yeah. We are still here with readership still increasing month after month. Thank you.

This topic is becoming as dated as the subject of revealing a good deal or keeping it to yourself.

I've been running affiliate ads longer than anyone here and can tell you categoically, from years of experience, that no one can keep up with all the offers available. The Points Guy and I both have people working full time on our blogs and we can't keep up. The other bloggers have other employment and do this part time. They certainly can't keep up either. The Internet is just too large and the card issuers have so many current and outdated (yet still available) offers we just can't find them all.

All any of us can do is try to keep current. (Your emails really help). It makes absolutely no business sense to try to promote for a short term gain with an inferior offer and expect your readers to trust you in the long term. And after watching the influx of bloggers now offering affiliate links, I can't think of anyone that shows signs of intentionally leading readers down a path to a less than top offer. In fact, the new bloggers with links, are all using the same source I established several years ago. We all get the same updates at the same time. It is just a matter of how the information is interpreted by the individual blogger.

If you watch many of the bloggers, they will tell you that a given offer is not one of their links. That is the best sign they are looking out for you the readers. I've even gone so far over the years to say "Don't use this link. There is a better offer"

In the end, you the reader are the one responsible for your own credit and the applications you apply for. Remember: "Your credit is one of your most important assets"

Last edited by ingy; Feb 22, 2012 at 5:16 am
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: SQ
Ideally, the bloggers will provide their customers with the best information, as that is their job. However, there is a massive influx of bloggers, and many of them are just trying to make money.

All of that information is readily available on FT, where others are available to provide helpful insight for free. Please take the time to review the links posted here, as well as the pages upon pages of information about the application process itself. Generally speaking, FT is much more detailed and insightful than any blog, other than the fact that it is a bit more difficult for the novice to decipher.

By using their links, you are paying for their trips. Make them work for their money!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Ideally, the bloggers will provide their customers with the best information, as that is their job. However, there is a massive influx of bloggers, and many of them are just trying to make money.

All of that information is readily available on FT, where others are available to provide helpful insight for free. Please take the time to review the links posted here, as well as the pages upon pages of information about the application process itself. Generally speaking, FT is much more detailed and insightful than any blog, other than the fact that it is a bit more difficult for the novice to decipher.

By using their links, you are paying for their trips. Make them work for their money!
Well said. I only use bloggers' links when I think they deserved it.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I spent plenty of years in private practice as a lawyer.Gave a lot of advice, based on experience and continuous research to stay current with the law. It also helped to know the personality of my client: risk taker or conservative?

Despite all that, I still got it wrong occasionally. Travel bloggers do too. But I've found the ones who have seemed to come under fire here lately get it right most of the time. And they try to make their associations with offers clear, sometimes painfully so.

Sure, following the advice of travel bloggers carries some risk. That's why I check here at FT and do other research before I choose credit cards, FF programs, and promotions. But I'd be more concerned with the ethics of the copycat bloggers sure to come who have seen the rewards earned by the established bloggers and who figure they might pile up some FF miles or cash referral bonuses while giving out whatever half-baked information they've gleaned from reading FT posts.

Like how to do your own app-o-rama.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: DL Gold
Silly question. Of course not. They're in business for themselves, not you. Can you trust Best Buy to give you the best offer on a flat-screen tv? No, but they can be a decent starting point for doing your own research; same as blogs.

Personally, I've never clicked on a referral link. All the info can be found here on FT.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This thread is turning personal & therefore it is now closed. No more flames please.

Edited & reopened. Keep personalities & inflammatory statements out of the discussion.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:02 pm

In response to the OP, some bloggers yes, some bloggers no. I don't know if these are the best offers out there but overall it's horrible advice driven by you know what.

http://www.boardingarea.com/blogs/de...rip-to-europe/
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:23 am

This thread makes me laugh simply because there is a reason he and most bloggers dont always promote the "best" deal. Most of the bloggers are using the same affiliate company and all have the same deals to post. They post whatever is available to them through the affiliate network that they get paid for. It is very simple. They have a link to a single offer for each card of each company they represent. They dont choose the deal, they dont choose from multiple versions of the same card, they just post the one they have. Promotions cycle and are offered through different affiliate companies. You cant have access to all the promotions.

Also, the couple of big players here mentioned in this thread are doing this full time. They expect their income to come from their blogs. So it is in their advantage to post the deal that they can offer to make money. I highly doubt they care there was a slightly better offer since they dont make a dime on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.