Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Train help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:24 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by chunky649
Oh ok. Anyway, I will have 1.5 days. I will see if I can rent a bike locally. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express nearby...
I would recommend the "Call a Bike" scheme run by the railways. It's a city bike scheme - the bikes are pretty decent, where you can ride them between docking stations (well, they're not quite docking stations, but it's the same principle). You can sign up online or at the docking station. It allows one-way journeys, too - for example, from Deutz station to the Domplatte!

I use this quite frequently when visiting Germany - mostly Hamburg and Berlin.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by stut
I would recommend the "Call a Bike" scheme run by the railways. It's a city bike scheme - the bikes are pretty decent, where you can ride them between docking stations (well, they're not quite docking stations, but it's the same principle). You can sign up online or at the docking station. It allows one-way journeys, too - for example, from Deutz station to the Domplatte!

I use this quite frequently when visiting Germany - mostly Hamburg and Berlin.
Thank you. Apparently, this is in many cities in Germany. However, I can't find information on sign-up requirements for foreigners... on the official webiste (Just a credit card, or do I need to register with passport or ID somewhere) I'll look into it when I arrive in Cologne.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Regretably, my colleague informed me of his flight schedule change. I would like to change my discounted ticket to one that is 2 hours later. The price is about the same. I believe the "change fee" is about $17euro. However, I can't seem to figure out how to apply for this change on the website.

Unfortunately, I ordered the ticket without opening an account on bahn.de. Anyone know the procedure to change this? I worry that if I wait until I get to Germany (next saturday), the prices for the desirable trains would have gone up... My current train requires me to get up at 3am to walk a mile and catch the tram to the train station to catch a ~5:50am train to FRA airport... I would pay the $17 fee to sleep an extra 2.5 hours...
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:14 am
qpr

You can change your ticket here

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/booking...-tickets.shtml

No need for an account.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qpr
You can change your ticket here

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/booking...-tickets.shtml

No need for an account.
Thanks!

It worked! I was pointed to the same webpage by other google searches, but the button "Search your order here" and their instruction to "select your new journey in the booking review" was not immediately obvious...

For future reference, the way refund or exchange is to simply click the red button "Search your order here" from the link above, enter your old ticket's confirmation/order number (6 digit alphanumerical number on your ticket), then it will guide you to either cancel or exchange the ticket. Then, it will guide you through searching/booking a new ticket (just like booking a new ticket from the main page), then when you are done, it will show you what will be refunded to the original credit card (separate transaction) and what will be charged on the new credit card you just entered.

No need to register for an account.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by OnTheCentreline
Yes, “Flughafen Fernbf” is the correct station to board at FRA airport.

You typically have two choices for ticket purchase: “Sparpreis” and “Flexpreis”.

Sparpreis is a cheaper fare which limits you to the “specific” train / timing noted on the ticket. It is partially refundable if you do not use the ticket up to and including the first day the ticket becomes valid, but will cost you a refund fee of ~17 Euro.

Flexpreis is usually more expensive, but does not limit you to a specific train / timing or connection. It too is partially refundable (for the above-mentioned refund fee) if you are unable to use the ticket on the first day it becomes valid (you will get a free refund before that time).

DB fares do not usually include a seat reservation so add on ~ Euro 3, if you want to guarantee a seat.

So yes, you can book the cheaper fare, but note the restrictions it offers.
bringing up an old thread but I have a question on the "flexpreis" tickets.

DB.de says:

Fully flexible (not bound to a specific train / not dependent on the connection indicated on the selected route).

Exchange/refund free of charge, a fee of EUR 17,50 will apply from the 1st day of validity.

SO if I buy a flexpreis trainN fare for travel on Sept 15th for a 4:48pm train departure, (zrh-muc), If I cancel anytime before Sept 15th (germany time), i get a full refund and I if cancel on the 15th I'll get a full refund but be charged 17.50EUR. Is that correct?

Also, can I cancel that ticket anytime on the 15th and get a refund (minus the fee)?

Also, cancellations/refunds can be done online, right? (++edit: this question was answered in previosu post )
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
SO if I buy a flexpreis trainN fare for travel on Sept 15th for a 4:48pm train departure, (zrh-muc), If I cancel anytime before Sept 15th (germany time), i get a full refund and I if cancel on the 15th I'll get a full refund but be charged 17.50EUR. Is that correct?

Also, can I cancel that ticket anytime on the 15th and get a refund (minus the fee)?
That is correct. You can even get a refund after the 15th, provided that you haven't used the ticket of course. Your ticket is not bound to a specific train, so you can choose any train on that route within 15 days* from the 15 September onwards. You may even break your journey at an intermediate station and continue at a later date.

* I think that's correct for international tickets but do check yours.

Last edited by waffle; Sep 8, 2016 at 7:26 am Reason: Made validity period clearer
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
The flexi price is also the same as the walk up price.

So if you are not sure if you will travel, then you can just turn up 10 minutes earlier and buy the ticket at the station.

Then you don't have the hassle of trying to get a refund later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.