Wiki Posts
Search

Train from AMS - LUX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Train from AMS - LUX

Hi Guys,

My Eurail contact is rather slow in response.... I would like to know if there are train connections from Amsterdam to Luxembourg.

It seems I could not google for this connection.

I think I would have to change train and there is no direct?

Any idea?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by vanessaqhc
Hi Guys,

My Eurail contact is rather slow in response.... I would like to know if there are train connections from Amsterdam to Luxembourg.

It seems I could not google for this connection.

I think I would have to change train and there is no direct?

Any idea?
Check timetables online here
https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AC P25
No direct. Change in Brussels is often quickest but may work throug Germany as well. Bahn.de is your timetable friend.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:57 am

My Eurail contact is rather slow in response
And forget about Eurail. Save some money and book yourself on the train companies' websites. Use www.b-europe.com if you want to go through Brussels. Going through Germany I assume that the already mentioned www.bahn.de could sell you tickets (but I'm not 100% sure for that route).

And I agree that overall, for planning only (i.e. not buying) bahn.de is the best choice.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
And forget about Eurail. Save some money and book yourself on the train companies' websites. Use www.b-europe.com if you want to go through Brussels. Going through Germany I assume that the already mentioned www.bahn.de could sell you tickets (but I'm not 100% sure for that route).

And I agree that overall, for planning only (i.e. not buying) bahn.de is the best choice.
I should have added - try www.captaintrain.com to buy tickets for most major rail companies in Europe. Also shows times
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by farci
I should have added - try www.captaintrain.com to buy tickets for most major rail companies in Europe. Also shows times
People indeed seem to be happy using them. Personally I don't use them because I have no need for an extra middle man (the train companies' websites work just fine for me) and because I have some issues with how they work and their website (not letting you do a search without creating an account first for instance, or refusing to look for tickets from Brussels unless I type "Bruxelles" - the main name of the city is "Brussel").
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
If you have time, take the (in my opinion) much more scenic route via Liege.

It would require taking a direct train to Maastricht, a change of traind to Liege, and another change of trains at the wonderfully Calatrava-designed station there to Luxembourg. The last ride, Liege-Luxembourg, is about as scenic as it gets in the whole area and well worth the bit slower travel time as opposed as going via Brussels.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:39 pm

My search for any Train Schedules is the following. Caution: read well at the link I provided. Every line and empty space should be filled. Here we go:
http://hafas.bene-system.com/bin/que...97653&OK#focus
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Koby
People indeed seem to be happy using them. Personally I don't use them because I have no need for an extra middle man (the train companies' websites work just fine for me) and because I have some issues with how they work and their website (not letting you do a search without creating an account first for instance, or refusing to look for tickets from Brussels unless I type "Bruxelles" - the main name of the city is "Brussel").
Loco2 doesn't require an account to search, and is happy to let you search for Brussels with the English spelling! IIRC Loco2 covers more European train operators than Captain Train (formerly CapitaineTrain), but Captain Train lets you do a few more advanced things such as loyalty cards. Oh, and Loco2 bills you in GBP, Captain Train in EUR
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the very through responses guys! I learnt a lot.... I'm a train noob. We never travel but rail much from where I am from - Singapore's just a city metro.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:40 pm

Wow! Thanks for the very through responses guys! I learnt a lot.... I'm a train noob. We never travel but rail much from where I am from - Singapore's just a city metro.
Unfortunately you're right; The train no longer runs to Singapore. In 1983 I was still able to take the [I]Rakyat Express[I] from Butterworth all the way to Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.