Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Have ScanRail Pass. How do I book Finnish sleeping car beds online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have ScanRail Pass. How do I book Finnish sleeping car beds online?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Question Have ScanRail Pass. How do I book Finnish sleeping car beds online?

I have a first class ScanRail pass (sold by Rail Europe). I'm trying to figure out how to book just the bed/compartment price at the VR (Finnish Railways) website.

There is no intuitively obvious way to book the bed/compartment that I could see.

There is the possibility that passholders could apply a code in the discount code/promotion box, but I can't find an applicable discount code for Eurailpass holders.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:23 am

Why are you not addressing this query to Rail Europe?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WomBatt
Why are you not addressing this query to Rail Europe?
And what is the purpose of FT? Is it not to exchange information? Sheesh.

There's no point to ask RailEurope; they will attempt to sell you their overpriced reservations.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Looking at the Interrail site here (which is basically the same as Eurail etc, just for European residents):

http://www.interrail.eu/plan-your-tr...y-reservations

only German, Italian and Swedish railways allow you to make reservation-only bookings online. VR (Finnish railways) need you call their call centre.
Old May 13, 2016, 4:14 pm

It's a common problem.

Many railroad websites are set up to only sell full tickets, not the add-on portions needed by rail pass holders, such as for seat or sleeper reservations.

The rail passes were developed in a simpler era, before the advent of fare buckets and advance purchase discounts, global fares, nonshared sleeper compartments, and personal computers/devices. They don't work nearly as well today, and the complexity of the European railroads just adds to the confusion for irregular travelers such as tourists from abroad. Back then, it was common for pass travelers to make arrangements for reserved space a few days before a planned trip, or to opt for an unreserved service.

We can hope that things continue to improve.

Sometimes, there are no conclusive answers, even on the Internet...to situations that certainly have been encountered by others. A good example is when you want to activate (validate) a rail pass when you cross a country border rather than at an airport or at a train station in the country where the pass is valid. You get all kinds of answers, few of which seem reliable. Some say "conductor will activate on board", others say "you will have to get off at the border station and get the subsequent train", and still others will claim that you can (e.g.) get DB to validate a Swisspass or PKP pass (not true in my experience!).
Old May 25, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
To answer the OP's question - phone the VR line, take the international tickets option (yes I know). You will then speak to an English Speaking agent who can process the booking for you. One or two interesting quirks, they charge you 2.5% credit card charge, even if you pay by debit card and when I phoned, late last year, they didn't accept AmEx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.