Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Connecting to long-distance trains (Germany)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:24 pm
:D!
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

When booking a Sparpreis ticket that includes a short segment on S/U/RB/RE followed by a long-distance IC/EC/ICE, do you need to take the exact local train specified?

E.g. Schwabach to München via Nürnberg, or Frankfurt(M) Flughafen to Düsseldorf via Frankfurt Hbf (taking the S-Bahn from FRA to the local station)

The price is the same regardless of which local service you use, and obviously it's possible to specify the desired transfer time on the booking website, but if you want to travel to the connecting station earlier, would that be a problem - and how much earlier if it does become a problem - say my ticket is booked for 2 hours in Munich, can I then come 4 hours earlier and have 6 hours instead?

Last edited by :D!; Oct 5, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by :D!
When booking a Sparpreis ticket that includes a short segment on S/U/RB/RE followed by a long-distance IC/EC/ICE, do you need to take the exact local train specified?

E.g. Schwabach to München via Nürnberg, or Frankfurt(M) Flughafen to Düsseldorf via Frankfurt Hbf (taking the S-Bahn from FRA to the local station)

The price is the same regardless of which local service you use, and obviously it's possible to specify the desired transfer time on the booking website, but if you want to travel to the connecting station earlier, would that be a problem - and how much earlier if it does become a problem - say my ticket is booked for 2 hours in Munich, can I then come 4 hours earlier and have 6 hours instead?
AFIK You can take any regional train. No reservations. I had this issue where the booking allowed me to take any connecting train from Cologne to Dusseldorf.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life

The DB SparPreis conditions say: Für Züge des Nahverkehrs, die im Vor- und Nachlauf genutzt werden, besteht keine Zugbindung. In other words, for local trains (ie: S/RB/RE/IRE) before/after the long-distance train, you don't have to take the train indicated on the ticket itinerary, but can take an earlier/later train on the same route. The tickets sometimes show a specific time limit (I think normally 10am the following day), but any train the same day should be fine.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
KQ321 is exactly right.

One point, though, for the OP: You can certainly use any S, RB or RE train (also IRE, if one is offered). However, the U-Bahn in most German cities is not run by Deutsche Bahn, and a DB ticket is not valid for travel on the U-Bahn, streetcars or buses. Do be aware of this difference!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david7031
KQ321 is exactly right.

One point, though, for the OP: You can certainly use any S, RB or RE train (also IRE, if one is offered). However, the U-Bahn in most German cities is not run by Deutsche Bahn, and a DB ticket is not valid for travel on the U-Bahn, streetcars or buses. Do be aware of this difference!
Thanks.

I forgot that I already asked a similar question (for the same trip) in the thread that I posted a few months ago, which you also replied to!

Any idea what time booking will open? I will be on an MR, and rather not bring my laptop - but I arrive in Germany on 13 Dec so need to get my tickets booked ASAP.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by david7031
a DB ticket is not valid for travel on the U-Bahn, streetcars or buses.
Actually, not exactly true. City tickets as part of DB Bahn travel are good on any mode of transport in the departure and destination city, for the cities that participate. This is clearly indicated on the ticket by the mention of "+City" on the routing.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/v...tyticket.shtml
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Any idea what time booking will open?
Bookings normally open 90 days in advance. However, due to the annual timetable change on 13 December, DB bookings for that date onwards will open on 13 October this year.

I will be on an MR, and rather not bring my laptop - but I arrive in Germany on 13 Dec so need to get my tickets booked ASAP.
I am not sure I understand the reference to a laptop - but note that you can purchase and use many DB tickets via a smartphone these days (ie: using the DB app). No need to use a laptop, nor to have access to a printer. (But, note that some tickets, such as Citynightline and some international itineraries, still require a self-print ticket).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KQ321
Bookings normally open 90 days in advance. However, due to the annual timetable change on 13 December, DB bookings for that date onwards will open on 13 October this year.
You misunderstood, I meant what time of the day, anyway it is now 10am Germany time and DB bookings are open, although Munich MVV timetable is not loaded yet - not sure whether to book ICE now for EUR19, or wait until I can include MVV.

I am on an MR right now and I didn't want to bring my laptop. I brought it anyway, but I didn't need to because the lounge has computers..

Last edited by :D!; Oct 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:05 am

DB London-Spezial tickets for travel from 13th December are not expected to be on sale until 23rd October. Great for planning Christmas travel arrangements!

EDIT: Today (14th Oct) the date sales open has been amended to 16th October.

Last edited by railways; Oct 14, 2015 at 6:49 am Reason: Change of date by DB
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
Originally Posted by bankops
Actually, not exactly true. City tickets as part of DB Bahn travel are good on any mode of transport in the departure and destination city, for the cities that participate. This is clearly indicated on the ticket by the mention of "+City" on the routing.

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/v...tyticket.shtml
AFAIK, the "+City" designation is only added to tickets bought with a BahnCard discount. Since the OP is located in London, I was not assuming that he has a BahnCard... But yes, if you do use a BahnCard to buy the ticket and the "+City" designator is shown, then you can use local transport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.