Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Train Upgrade to FC day of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Virgin Train Upgrade to FC day of Travel

Hello,

Are you able to upgrade to first class (if available) day of travel on Virgin Trains? We are travelling from London to Glasgow and might want to try it out. It's a midweek train on off peak hours. I've heard you sometimes can upgrade for less than it would normally cost

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not midweek, no - you'd have to pay the full difference between your fare and the full FC fare (which is comparable to a full business class air fare!)

The only way to get a discount upgrade is using the Weekend First scheme which, as the name suggests, isn't going to work midweek (unless it happens to be a holiday).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by stut
Not midweek, no - you'd have to pay the full difference between your fare and the full FC fare (which is comparable to a full business class air fare!)

The only way to get a discount upgrade is using the Weekend First scheme which, as the name suggests, isn't going to work midweek (unless it happens to be a holiday).
Not quite correct in my experience. Check the Virgin Trains website for services leaving mid-morning and the difference between standard and first class can be as little as £10 each way.

You need to book ahead but, at the time of writing, midweek mid-morning first class tickets in either direction are £55 in late-Jan
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by farci
Not quite correct in my experience. Check the Virgin Trains website for services leaving mid-morning and the difference between standard and first class can be as little as £10 each way.

You need to book ahead but, at the time of writing, midweek mid-morning first class tickets in either direction are £55 in late-Jan
Correct - although the way to do this would be buy an advance purchase ticket ahead of time. If you have an Advance ticket to start with, you can exchange it for a more expensive ticket, with a fee of £10.

If you leave it until the day of travel (that is not a weekend or holiday), then the balance will be assessed against the walk-up first class fare, which, for example, on London-Glasgow is £239.50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.