Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Reservation for Eurail Youth on Thalys

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Seat Reservation for Eurail Youth on Thalys

My boys ("youths") will be traveling from Amsterdam to Antwerp in May, with a Regional Youth Eurailpass (Benelux and Germany). The only direct train is the Thalys. To avoid the change in Rotterdam, they would need to buy a seat reservation on the Thalys, but all I can find is the whole ticket price. It seems that the "passholder fare" all the way to Brussels is 39 Euros. It should be the same or less to Antwerp, if available, I suppose. Where can that fare, or supplement, be found?

Later, they're traveling from Brussels to Aachen then Dusseldorf. Same kind of question, how much extra would the Thalys be on that route.

They will probably end up just taking the slower free trains, but it would be nice to have all data, thanks in advance.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA
Eurorail has limited seats on Thalys routes especially between May and September because of the European school holiday's. Reservation is required when traveling with Thalys. You can purchase seat reservations at European train stations or by phone.

When using phone:
Reservations for most trains can be made through call centers of European railways. You can make your reservations here even before your Eurail pass arrives. When booking, please be sure to mention that you travel with a Eurail pass and that you only need a reservation.

We recommend using one of the following call centers which have English speaking staff. Please note that lines can be busy during evenings (CET) and at weekends and you may have to wait.

The Netherlands: NS HiSpeed call center

Phone number: +31 302 331 676 (open Monday-Friday 8.00-21.00 and Saturday 10.00 - 18.00 (local times))

When calling, you’ll hear a menu in Dutch. Select extension ‘1’ for services in English and then ‘1’ to book the Thalys or ‘2’ to book other trains. NS HiSpeed can book trains in various European countries (€12.50 booking fee; 2 reservations per call allowed). You have to pay for reservations made over the phone with a Visa or MasterCard credit card.

Through the call center, reservations can only be delivered to addresses in the Netherlands. There are no delivery costs. You can also pick up your reservations at a NS HiSpeed ticket desk or at a self-service machine. Just go to a Dutch train station with a NS HiSpeed desk with your booking code.
Source: http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip...t-reservations

If there is no availability for Eurorailpass holders then you have to buy a full fare ticket.

The Thalys supplement from Amsterdam to Antwerp is €35-49
https://www.thalys.com/be/en/offers-and-fares/interrail
On the website you can also calculate the additional fee between Brussels and Düsseldorf.

Once again, these seats are limited so try to reserve seats as soon as possible. With some bad luck they end up paying a lot more.

I hope this helps you out.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calusin
Eurorail has limited seats on Thalys routes especially between May and September because of the European school holiday's. Reservation is required when traveling with Thalys. You can purchase seat reservations at European train stations or by phone.

When using phone:
Reservations for most trains can be made through call centers of European railways. You can make your reservations here even before your Eurail pass arrives. When booking, please be sure to mention that you travel with a Eurail pass and that you only need a reservation.

We recommend using one of the following call centers which have English speaking staff. Please note that lines can be busy during evenings (CET) and at weekends and you may have to wait.

The Netherlands: NS HiSpeed call center

Phone number: +31 302 331 676 (open Monday-Friday 8.00-21.00 and Saturday 10.00 - 18.00 (local times))

When calling, you’ll hear a menu in Dutch. Select extension ‘1’ for services in English and then ‘1’ to book the Thalys or ‘2’ to book other trains. NS HiSpeed can book trains in various European countries (€12.50 booking fee; 2 reservations per call allowed). You have to pay for reservations made over the phone with a Visa or MasterCard credit card.

Through the call center, reservations can only be delivered to addresses in the Netherlands. There are no delivery costs. You can also pick up your reservations at a NS HiSpeed ticket desk or at a self-service machine. Just go to a Dutch train station with a NS HiSpeed desk with your booking code.
Source: http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip...t-reservations

If there is no availability for Eurorailpass holders then you have to buy a full fare ticket.

The Thalys supplement from Amsterdam to Antwerp is €35-49
https://www.thalys.com/be/en/offers-and-fares/interrail
On the website you can also calculate the additional fee between Brussels and Düsseldorf.

Once again, these seats are limited so try to reserve seats as soon as possible. With some bad luck they end up paying a lot more.

I hope this helps you out.
Aha, listed under "PASS" fares, yes thanks very much.

I can't quite pull up Antwerp to Brussels or Aachen to Dusseldorf, but I can get a good idea of the prices now, great.

It will take longer, and will likely require changes of (slower) train, but I think they will probably go with the non-Thalys trains, on their budget, and since they want the flexibility. I gather since seat reservations are not even possible on those trains, they will be able to squeeze on even if they have to stand. These are the years when they should learn to do such things anyway! But thanks again.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA
If they decide to take the slower train named 'Intercity Direct' from Amsterdam to Antwerp, I suggest them to change trains at Den Haag HS. When they hop in at Den Haag HS they have a much higher chance to have a seat for the journey to Antwerp, because the train route begins here.

From my own experience, when I hopped in at Rotterdam, people were already standing in 2nd and 1st class. Of course this is not every day, but most trains are crowded.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:03 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calusin
If they decide to take the slower train named 'Intercity Direct' from Amsterdam to Antwerp, I suggest them to change trains at Den Haag HS. When they hop in at Den Haag HS they have a much higher chance to have a seat for the journey to Antwerp, because the train route begins here.

From my own experience, when I hopped in at Rotterdam, people were already standing in 2nd and 1st class. Of course this is not every day, but most trains are crowded.
Yes, people are avoiding the high priced Thalys train.

PS: The Eurailpass used to be a super deal for travelers, has lost its utility, with limited seating and supplements on Thalys, TGVs etc.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

It is typically cheaper to purchase low-cost tickets on Thalys in advance, rather than using a pass and buying the relatively expensive passholder fare that is needed to get the mandatory seat reservation.

The only exception might be if it is impossible to obtain reasonably priced individual tickets, as in the case of a decision to, say, take Thalys on short notice. In that case, the passholder fare might be an advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.