Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused about purchasing train tickets for Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by joer1212
I see. But it sounds terribly chance-y. I'm going to go old school and get reserved seats for all my segments.
So non-European.

I don't know about the German or Austrian rail sites, but the Swiss rail site shows "expected load" for each train. Except for the Glacier (non-)Express, where reservations are required, we never booked seats for our trip earlier this year. We just picked trains that were not expected to be crowded, and we never had a problem.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Go ahead and reserve, peace of mind - especially on intercity fast trains. I do when i travel around europe by train - always first class, advance tickets can be cheap for a much less crowded journey (although many in europe think i am bonkers as 2nd is fine, just typically busier) - just watch commuter times when the train is full and you find someone sitting in your reserved seat. Good look getting them out of there if you can't find the guard/ticket inspector; and life is too short to get into a fight!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Are we right to assume that OP is from the USA? I could not find any location in the profile. If so then the core of the problem is very clear - the US is one large country (with which any US citizen is familiar). Europe is many smaller (unfamiliar) countries.

Travel involves adaptation - it's part of the experience. What is common practice in one country may be different in another. Deal with it, enjoy the diversity.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:41 pm

I'd suggest having a read of seat61.com which is very informative. [no affiliation]

As an aside, even if I were doing a similar trip by air - i.e. stopping off in each place rather than connecting - I'd probably still buy separate tickets. A 5-leg multi-city would likely cost more anyway, and if you missed a leg you'd lose the rest.

This generally wouldn't happen with a train ticket, but in any case, I don't see any advantage for you in booking all 5 segments together unless it saves you a little in credit card fees perhaps.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Go ahead and reserve, peace of mind - especially on intercity fast trains. I do when i travel around europe by train - always first class, advance tickets can be cheap for a much less crowded journey (although many in europe think i am bonkers as 2nd is fine, just typically busier) - just watch commuter times when the train is full and you find someone sitting in your reserved seat. Good look getting them out of there if you can't find the guard/ticket inspector; and life is too short to get into a fight!
Watch out too for people trying to kick you out of your reserved seat. In my younger Eurail travelling days more than once it was deemed that I didn't look to be an appropriate person to be occupying a first-class seat (ie I was under 80 years of age and not travelling free on a retired rail worker's ticket) and was sternly rebuked by nosy fellow passengers.

Rail travel in Europe is very simple and an absolute joy, it's my favourite way to travel of any in the world. I hope the OP can get over his anxiety and enjoy the trip.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
And actually buying the tickets in Europe isn't too bad because most places have ticket machines which speak English (and probably humans who speak English). You do need a chip and pin card to use them though.

Personally though, I'd just use Deutsche Bahn's website to book as much of it is possible: far cheaper than raileurope, the site's in English and I think they have a UK call center if you get really stuck. Plus you have FT to help you
I've never had a problem using my US-issued credit cards that have no chip or pin at Deutsche Bahn ticket machines.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Watch out too for people trying to kick you out of your reserved seat. In my younger Eurail travelling days more than once it was deemed that I didn't look to be an appropriate person to be occupying a first-class seat (ie I was under 80 years of age and not travelling free on a retired rail worker's ticket) and was sternly rebuked by nosy fellow passengers.

Rail travel in Europe is very simple and an absolute joy, it's my favourite way to travel of any in the world. I hope the OP can get over his anxiety and enjoy the trip.
Those are the same people who would try to hate on young people in lounges or elite boarding groups etc. I guess you have to use buses to avoid them!

Last edited by Bigzamboni; Nov 28, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Those are the same people who would try to hate on young people in lounges or elite boarding groups etc. I guess you have to use buses to avoid them!
To be fair, these days it's me ranting against those young whipper-snappers!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
I see. But it sounds terribly chance-y. I'm going to go old school and get reserved seats for all my segments.
In this case, you would actually be going new-school, but it's a reasonable approach for you. Now, keep in mind that seats typically are made available only about 90 days ahead of time, not 330 days.

Let us know how you do.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:28 pm

Whenever I wanted to save the 4 euros and didn't reserve seats, I regretted it. It's no fun to walk up and down the entire train trying to find an empty seat and waiting for half an hour for a seat to open up is no fun eiter.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
In this case, you would actually be going new-school
You're right there... never really thought about it!

Reserving seats is a lot more common now than it used to be... I never (or hardly ever) used to reserve seats in my younger days, and very few other people did. I think it's online booking that has changed people's travel behaviour in this regard... in the old days people would just go to the station on the day of travel, buy a ticket and hop on the train. Seat reservations had to be made 24 hours beforehand, so would have required an extra trip to the station or to a travel agent.

In the past I used to reserve seats only for very long journeys, and sometimes not even then. These days I do it a lot more because it just requires a couple of clicks.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It depends on the country, really. In the Netherlands or Switzerland, I'd never really think of pre-booking a train or getting a reservation. But for inter-city journeys in the UK, France or Germany, I absolutely would, not least as that's how you get the reasonably-priced tickets.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by stut
It depends on the country, really. In the Netherlands or Switzerland, I'd never really think of pre-booking a train or getting a reservation. But for inter-city journeys in the UK, France or Germany, I absolutely would, not least as that's how you get the reasonably-priced tickets.
Not quite correct for Germany. Advance purchase savers are only valid on a specific train, but (unlike in the UK) you don't get a free seat reservation thrown in - if you want a reserved seat you have to pay for it just like you would with a full-fare ticket. It's 4 Euro for up to two trains.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbams
Are we right to assume that OP is from the USA? I could not find any location in the profile. If so then the core of the problem is very clear - the US is one large country (with which any US citizen is familiar). Europe is many smaller (unfamiliar) countries.

Travel involves adaptation - it's part of the experience. What is common practice in one country may be different in another. Deal with it, enjoy the diversity.
I'm not a 20 year-old backpacker who has the luxury of unlimited time to freely explore Europe, and get lost in a care-free experience. I'm a 44 year-old who holds down a full-time job. I am given a ration of less than 2 weeks of free time, and I must use that time very efficiently, or my vacation could be ruined.
It would be nice to have unlimited time. In that case, I would totally agree with you. But unfortunately I have to plan very carefully because of time constraints. There is no room for uncertainty. This approach has worked for me well in the past, so I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbams

Yup, from Brooklyn, NY.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
In this case, you would actually be going new-school, but it's a reasonable approach for you. Now, keep in mind that seats typically are made available only about 90 days ahead of time, not 330 days.

Let us know how you do.
330 days? I'll be traveling this upcoming March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.