Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Several Eurostar and Thalys questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by bruce80
Luggage has alwas been a problem on Thalys trains - the overhead compartments are extremely small (although they have improved them a bit with the 2010 retrofit) and the carriage-end racks provide hardly enough space if the train is full. In most cases, people end up stacking their luggage in front of the doors (never mind the security risk in case of an emergency).
Luggage piled in the doorways is common on UK trains as well. But I wouldn't worry about it on two counts:-

1. A train differs from an airliner in that it is almost *never* safest to carry out a fast evacuation - it's best to stay where you are, move to the next coach if required and only if in immediate danger think about getting out. People have been killed in accidents by making a panicked evacuation into the path of another train, when if they had remained on the damaged train they would have been fine. The only case in which a quick escape might be safest is the event of fire, which is rare, even more so on electric trains like Thalys, and would in any case not spread anywhere near as quickly as in an airliner.

2. If the luggage is in the way, it will soon be kicked out of the way by people wanting to get out.

But, if you are worried about theft in those compartments you may be glad to hear that the Thalys racks are made of rods which will allow you to easily tie your luggage to them using a simple bicycle chain lock or one of those things used to lock computer monitors to the desk. However, unlike in some ICE trains, those locks are not provided, you need to BYO.
I think it's just the old IR (now used in IC) coaches? Never seen locking luggage compartments in an ICE.

Neil
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by bruce80
But, if you are worried about theft in those compartments you may be glad to hear that the Thalys racks are made of rods which will allow you to easily tie your luggage to them using a simple bicycle chain lock or one of those things used to lock computer monitors to the desk. However, unlike in some ICE trains, those locks are not provided, you need to BYO.
Is this fairly common to see on a Thalys train, or am I going to look like an even bigger American jerk if I chain my luggage up?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by pacer142
I think it's just the old IR (now used in IC) coaches? Never seen locking luggage compartments in an ICE.
Yes, at least in the first-generation ICE T7 trains, the leading first class coach features something looking like car safety belts along with locks to tie your luggage to the racks. I don't know whether they have them in other coaches or in second class and if the new-generation trains still feature them. The first-generation class 401 ICE trains had small lockers above the trash cans next to the lavatories, but they weren't large enough to put bags into them. I think they have been removed during the retrofit.

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Is this fairly common to see on a Thalys train, or am I going to look like an even bigger American jerk if I chain my luggage up?
I have never seen anyone tie their luggage up, and I don't think that this is necessary... on the contrary, this may even slow down the process of people getting on and off the train as there is not much space in front of the racks and people would very likely have to squeeze their bags into the compartments that would be blocked by your immovable, chained luggage. However, I wouldn't really worry about theft.

By the way, putting any baggage under the seat in front of you is not an option on Thalys. Except for extremely small handbags (the size of a purse), you will not succeed in putting anything under the seats, as the seat construction doesn't allow it (there are footrests and a very large strut holding the seat, taking up almost the entire space). After all, you'll want every single inch of legroom, as the Thalys trains feature an extremely poor "living space", even in first class coaches (I always end up hitting my knees on the front seat when I'm not sitting completely upright).
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I've only ever done that on overnight trains, and most people don't bother even then. So you might well get odd looks.

Neil
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll skip the chain. If anyone wants my dirty undies, they can have at them
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:01 am

I would like to describe my last experience travelling with Thalys.
I boarded train in Cologne destination Brussels. I had a big Samsonite suitcase which I had put in the designated baggage area between carriages. When I arrive to Brussels, my suitcase has dissapeared. It was STOLEN. I did not receieve any help from Thalys. Their phones for lost and found do no reply in Germany, Cologne and Achen, and in Liege, Belgium. In Brussels Midi, I had to insist that the person looks if my maybe my bag is in Lost and found. Everytime I received only puzzled looks , shaking heads that sure is not there and they decline to look if my bag is there in lost and found. Be careful when travelling on this trains thalys. Many thieves, pick pockets, and nobody from Thalys will help you ! My luggage with my personal belongings and passport was stolen and no help what so ever from THALYS !
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:06 am

THEFT AND PICKPOCKETS IN THALYS.
I boarded train in Cologne destination Brussels. I had a big Samsonite suitcase which I had put in the designated baggage area between carriages. When I arrive to Brussels, my suitcase has dissapeared. It was STOLEN. I did not receieve any help from Thalys. Their phones for lost and found do no reply in Germany, Cologne and Achen, and in Liege, Belgium. In Brussels Midi, I had to insist that the person looks if my maybe my bag is in Lost and found. Everytime I received only puzzled looks , shaking heads that sure is not there and they decline to look if my bag is there in lost and found. Be careful when travelling on this trains thalys. Many thieves, pick pockets, and nobody from Thalys will help you ! My luggage with my personal belongings and passport was stolen and no help what so ever from THALYS !
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:09 am

Luggage Theft and pickpockets in Thalys

Old May 2, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Booked Eurostar/Thalys for Amsterdam-London later in May. Are baggage security issues as described above still a concern? Will only have hand luggage. Do these trains have an overhead shelf to keep bag at your seat or nearby? Any other tips for this trip much appreciated.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:21 am

if you only have hand luggage you can stick it above you
Old May 3, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF QP
If it's a suitcase it's put in the racks at the end of the carriage. I first noticed a problem on the Thales when my fellow passengers would go to that area at each stop to keep an eye on their luggage. I have since purchased a small combination lock bicycle chain and attach my suitcase to the rack.its a bit inconvenient but it gives peace of mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.