Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Train: Zurich to Geneve (ICN or IC)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Train: Zurich to Geneve (ICN or IC)

Have seen some tips before to take the scenic route from Zurich to Geneva, and today checking the SBB I saw there are two trains that do the route, the ICN or IC.

Is there a "real difference" between each? other than the route/one minute less or extra for the trip? (which has less "tunnels"?)

Also, is it better to arrive at "the airport" in Geneva or the main train station? (my friends house is close to the airport and we might rent a car, and avoid the main station for being notably a place of pick pocketing...)

Any advice welcome, thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:47 pm

The IC is a double-decker train which briefly goes along the most scenic stretch on either route, through the Lavaux vineyards overlooking lake Geneva before Lausanne (sit on left side). The scenery before that is forgettable, though, and it tends to get very crowded at rush hours. Views of the lake on the Lausanne-Geneva stretch are limited, as the train line is somewhat inland.

The ICN is a tilt train going through a more rural part of Switzerland, including a stretch right alongside lake of Neuchâtel. It is artificially slowed down by stops in smaller towns to maintain a half-hourly cadence between Geneva and Zurich.

Although it is a lot more subtle than first-gen designs, the tilt action might bother travelers with an easily upset stomach. I find the ICN's decor slightly more posh than the IC's. No (or limited?) drink sales cart service downstairs on the IC (the connection between cars is at the upper level). Extremely spacious 'facilities', and larger windows on the IC. Easier to keep a look on one's large luggage on IC (racks are in-cabin). IC has a children's car (last one, with dinosaurs on the outside ) and IIRC a quiet car too. If you care about magnetic fields, IC's have a single engine at one end, whereas ICN's 2nd class cars are power cars (1st class are not, subtle Swiss-style discrimination at work!)

The airport's station is a much more convenient place for local pick up; I always use it because:
- it has a dedicated parking lot with easy access (the main station's lot is a nightmare to get to by car); 1 hour free vs. 10 mins at the main station, IIRC. If you go past the head of the train, the little-known yellow staircase from the platform will take you directly to the middle of the parking lot and save you a good walk. Rental car counters are the other way though.
- the pickpockets overwhelmingly operate at the main station, mostly targeting luggage-toting people leaving Geneva on the IC, not the ones bound for the airport, as the latter are too sparse to hide among them. Those thieves are said to be well-dressed local-looking people (confirmed by two unfortunate relatives and a friend in the know)
- the main rental car agencies are all at the airport; the city locations are small ones with limited choices and shorter hours. I don't seem to recall there is a special US-style airport tax on rental cars here.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RedRobin
Any advice welcome, thanks.
hopefully, you'll get even more advice in the european rail forum. for your convenience, I move your thread. Please follow it at its new home.

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks Monahos and Chrissxb.

I guess I am more inclined to use the IC based on your description, as I will be traveling alone and will have a jumbo size suitcase to keep my eyes onto... so being in the compartment makes me more relaxed I guess.

Also, I understand that I can take the IC from Zurich all the way to Geneve Airport without having to change trains, thus avoiding the main station pick pocketing scene altogether...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RedRobin
Also, I understand that I can take the IC from Zurich all the way to Geneve Airport without having to change trains, thus avoiding the main station pick pocketing scene altogether...
Yes, both IC and ICN have Geneva Airport as their final destination. Should you take the train back to Zurich, this also makes GVA airport the ideal departure station, as you'll have your pick of seats on a mostly empty train.

I wouldn't overly worry about thieves, who favor easy targets and escape routes; they are very unlikely to go through your suitcase en-route, as the IC makes few stops, and the racks in full view of the entire car, especially upstairs.
One common scenario, however, is to grab an unwary, usually foreign looking 1st class, passenger's handbag or such just before departure and run out of the train; better not to sit near the exits.
At Geneva station, the modus operandi of choice is to have one thief block the aisle in front of the target during the boarding rush (e.g. by pretending to help stow luggage), and have an accomplice pick handbags or pockets from behind.

Anyway, GVA airport is the better choice, and I have yet to hear of problems at its station.
As for the scenery, I forgot to mention the typical black and white Swiss cows grazing after Fribourg
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I like the ICN route as it is pretty scenic and the trains tend to be less full. Bear in mind that only one ICN in two is direct between GVA and Zürich. With the others you have to change in Biel/Bienne. This isn't really a hastle as the trains are on the same platform and the timings are the same.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 3:59 am
Original Poster

yup, icn ride completed yesterday, without issues, and very nice scenery indeed. just wish the weather wasn't rainy, except for that, was a good time with good views, thanks for all the replies..
Old Sep 25, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
I always recommend the IC between Zürich and Geneva...
because you can spend some time in Berne...

Berne is a magnificent city...
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Agreed. Spend some time in Berne..walk out the train station and turn left..just look for the clocks and walk towards them!

Last edited by robtroxel; Sep 27, 2010 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

ill try to do that next time... this time i could not make the stop. i did go to a wine festival in new chatelle? .. it was fun.. (and then this was with the tilting train)
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
It is written Neuchâtel....
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gigantor
It is written Neuchâtel....
indeed. thanks for the correction, i was lazy to look it up and spell it right...
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:17 am

Road tunnels between Geneva and Zurich.

Can someone refresh me , how long and how many tunnels between Geneva and Zurich ? and how long the process of building these tunnels?

Thanks,

Ben

ps; I've been to those 2 cities back in 2009 but forgot these infos.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:37 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Why do you want to know about the tunnels? Cool trivia knowledge, or for a practical reason?

There's thousands of tunnels in Switzerland and the trains crossing the country go through many. That said—Swiss trains and tunnels are equipped with cell signal boosters, so it won't get in the way of your connectivity.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I like seeing the magnificent Swiss scenery. On many routes tunnels speed up train service, but bypass scenery.
In many cases they've maintained BOTH routes, like Spiez to Visp/Brig, the NEW tunnel to Visp and the old route to Brig via Lochberg Pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.