Wiki Posts
Search

1 night in Warsaw

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
1 night in Warsaw

I have a layover in Warsaw. I have never been before. I arrive 8pm and depart the next morning at 11 am. Can anyone suggest a hotel maybe in an interesting area that might give me a little sense of the city when i arrive, and maybe a run and cafe in the morning and taxi back to airport? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:00 pm

Sorry for being late - it's long weekend in Warsaw. I'd suggest somthing in the city center - it's not very far from the airport. Depends on the budget I'd reccomend: Jan III Sobieski, Kyriad, Novotel Centrum.

Edit: I can see Mercure Grand for $72, Jan III Sobieski for $84 and Westin for $90, Sheraton for $92 and Radisson SAS for $94 seems to be very good deal.

Last edited by egon.olsen; Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Any best 2 things to see or do given my evening arrival and later morning departure?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Thanks! Any best 2 things to see or do given my evening arrival and later morning departure?
Just have a walk Krakowskie Przedmiescie + Nowy Świat.
In the evening you can grab something typical Polish in Delicja Polska on Krakowskie Przedmiescie. In the morning you can have a coffee on Nowy Swiat.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Intercontinental has a great rate for my date. Is it a good location for airport and quick sightseeing? My second choice is Jan III.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:42 pm

Walk through the Old Town - it will be hopping at night. Lots of places to grab a piwo (beer) and sit outside. A. Blikle at 33 Nowy Swiat is a classic and has great pastries. You can run along the river or down in the Lazienki Park - the old royal park.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks. Intercontinental has a great rate for my date. Is it a good location for airport and quick sightseeing? My second choice is Jan III.
IC is a step above the Jan III and I have had great week-end rates (advanced puchase : EUR 52 + tax !) there. The ride to the airport takes about 15mn and should be around PLN 40 by standard taxi, PLN 60 if you take the (outsourced) hotel taxi. It is located right beside the Palace of Culture and Science, outside the Old Town. OTOH, the Jan III is closer to the airport and farther away from the Old Town than the IC.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Merci! I got this low rate at IC too so will stay there. Now, if LOT will just get me there on time!

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Jun 15, 2009 at 9:43 pm
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:30 am

If you're into WW2 history the last piece of the Warsaw Ghetto wall is fairly close to the IC. The Palace of Culture and Science has an observation deck with great views of the city if it is a nice day. Definitely head down to Nowy Świat/Krakowskie Przedmiescie and old town to eat.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:47 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by JOUY31
IC is a step above the Jan III and I have had great week-end rates (advanced puchase : EUR 52 + tax !) there. The ride to the airport takes about 15mn and should be around PLN 40 by standard taxi, PLN 60 if you take the (outsourced) hotel taxi. It is located right beside the Palace of Culture and Science, outside the Old Town. OTOH, the Jan III is closer to the airport and farther away from the Old Town than the IC.
The public bus from the airport to the train station and then a 5 minute walk to the IC costs only 2.40 Sloty.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by szg
The public bus from the airport to the train station and then a 5 minute walk to the IC costs only 2.40 Sloty.
How much longer does the bus take than the taxi? I only have one night so hate to waste too much time.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: marriott, USAir, JetBlue, Southwest, AA
2 nights in Warsaw

I originally booked at the IC but since Starwood has a promotion, 2 stays and get a free night, I decided to switch to the Bristol for nights of July 4 and 5. Anyone have feedback on the 3 properties by Starwood....Bristol, Westin and Sheraton. I read previous reviews but nothing very recent. The 3 Starwood rates are about the same. Anyone have anything to add for 2 nights in Warsaw? I heard Pierogarnia was very good for Polish food and Nonsolo Pizza for pizza. Anyone have other comments about restaurants?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by buena40
I originally booked at the IC but since Starwood has a promotion, 2 stays and get a free night, I decided to switch to the Bristol for nights of July 4 and 5. Anyone have feedback on the 3 properties by Starwood....Bristol, Westin and Sheraton. I read previous reviews but nothing very recent. The 3 Starwood rates are about the same. Anyone have anything to add for 2 nights in Warsaw? I heard Pierogarnia was very good for Polish food and Nonsolo Pizza for pizza. Anyone have other comments about restaurants?
I did not stay at any of those properties when I visited WAW but I would say the Bristol is definitely the best location of the 3.

Food-wise I'll try and check my notes but none of the places I ate in WAW really stood out.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have a layover in Warsaw. I have never been before. I arrive 8pm and depart the next morning at 11 am. Can anyone suggest a hotel maybe in an interesting area that might give me a little sense of the city when i arrive, and maybe a run and cafe in the morning and taxi back to airport? Thanks for any suggestions.
I've just had a similar schedule (incoming 9 pm, outgoing 8 am) and couldn't be bothered with the taxi ride downtown, just took the Courtyard at the airport (30 meters from the terminal) Weird, but it would've been much more expensive then the IC or Marriott downtown but for the corp rate, but could sleep nearly 2 hrs more this way
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: price is a king
Hey,

responding after egon.olsen (WAW native) sounds kind of inappropriate , but let me throw few comments as well:

Can anyone suggest a hotel [...]
My favourite one is IC, top floors (paid ~120USD few monts ago) - you have a splendid panorama over the city. It's 15 mins walk from Nowy Swiat mentioned by egon, so you can grab a coffee there. BEST one is called "VINCENT" on Nowy Swiat - no better bread & coffee (French style) in Warsaw. Fairly often I drive after my work there to grab some baguette and eat it at home. By staying @ IC you can also drop visit at PKiN tower - you can have even better view from there.

Egon is right with Krakowskie & Nowy Swiat. But if you are a bit more into (sad) history, watch Polanski's "The Pianist" when flying to WAW and then go to Ghetto Area. There are just few bricks , few monuments, one bunker and few streets left. I've been living in WAW for 6 years now, but that place makes me think everytime I pass Umschlagplatz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umschla...(Warsaw_Ghetto)). There are tons of other hidden places, but then you'd need more than one day. Sorry.

Then on top of sigtseeing (City Center, Ghetto, Wilanow) you should go and relax. My favourite places for food & music is:
- Mandala (Asian restaurant) - Emilii Plater 9/11
- Balsam - Raclawicka 99 bunch of bars/clubs - food/drink/dance/relax
- Arti (Indian Restaurant) - Plac Zawiszy
- CK Oberza, Chmielna Street - food from AustroHungarian times
- Portucale (Portugese restaurant, filled with Portugese & Brazillian folks) - Merliniego
- few others which I can not mention due to rules of this forum

Anyone have anything to add for 2 nights in Warsaw?
Having two days (hopefully one of them is FRI/SAT) you can try going to Praga - right-shore Warsaw. Zabkowska street ("W oparach absurdu") should be a good start. But please prepare for a tiny culture shock.

I heard Pierogarnia was very good for Polish food and Nonsolo Pizza for pizza. Anyone have other comments about restaurants?
Pierogarnia (Old Town) is fine but pretty basic, I mean VERY basic. Pizza - well ... you don't come here to eat pizza really. See my comments on restaurants few notes above. We (together with egon) can direct you to a REAL BALKAN restaurant but we need to make sure you are the one of the bravest .

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I've just had a similar schedule (incoming 9 pm, outgoing 8 am) and couldn't be bothered with the taxi ride downtown, just took the Courtyard at the airport (30 meters from the terminal) Weird, but it would've been much more expensive then the IC or Marriott downtown but for the corp rate, but could sleep nearly 2 hrs more this way
That's not THAT BAD CHOICE. This would allow me to take a cab and ask the driver to go around the city and tell me few things. They normally should be able to help you (maybe you'd need some printed guide).

To cut long story short - Warsaw is a cool place to visit with tons of different activities you can do. Regardless of the segment you represent (CEO, student, housewife). Let me / egon know what are you up to and I'm more than sure that you will have to rebook your return flight*.

best
mf

* no, I am not born in WAW and I am not paid by WAW authorities

Last edited by MichalFKowalik; Jul 3, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.