Wiki Posts
Search

Pickpockets in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bensyd
I'm not sure bum bags are ever a good idea, unless the store has run out of "I'm a tourist please pick-pocket me" t-shirts
Excellent advice. The very act of wearing one of these will massively increase the chances of you getting robbed (or at least attempted robbery!)
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Probably not - they look like any old bum bag, especially if one "distresses" it a bit in advance of travel. Admittedly, I generally opt for lower profile ways of navigating. OTOH, regardless of what one is wearing, threats with weapons displays and/or a largely superior force is a very good cue to be cooperative (indeed, meek,) and hand over whatever the bad guys want. When that occurred to me in Seoul, it worked well - though I did manage to find my way back to the bad guys with cops and retrieved all my items.

For the best attractant, I highly recommend fine leather bags with names like Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci or the like.

biggestbopper, Colombians are often skilled at one of the team producing a diversion whilst the other uses a razor skilfully to relieve those engaged of their values - they can cut open a bum bag, backpack or purse bottom, or even a trouser pocket, quite professionally, literally having the booty fall into their hands (and often passing it all off to yet another team member).

Originally Posted by star_world
Excellent advice. The very act of wearing one of these will massively increase the chances of you getting robbed (or at least attempted robbery!)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 31, 2010 at 4:41 pm Reason: typoe
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
Probably not - they look like any old bum bag, especially if one "distresses" it a bit in advance of travel.
Distressed or not distressed a bum bag is as sure a giveaway that an you're an American tourist as sandals with socks announces that your a German tourist.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by bensyd
Distressed or not distressed a bum bag is as sure a giveaway that an you're an American tourist as sandals with socks announces that your a German tourist.
Or an American tourist, because they wear also white socks, shorts and sometimes even sandals or Birkenstock or sport shoes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.