Search

A day in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A day in Zurich

I'm planning a trip BOS-ZRH-DXB-ZRH-BOS on Swiss and on the return there is an 11 hour layover in Zurich so I'm thinking of leaving the airport and exploring the city for a day. Are there any airline/government policies/laws that would make this difficult? I won't be taking my suitcase in to the city; will I need to collect it to pass customs and then recheck it?

And while I'm at it, any must-do or must-see items? I'll be there in the dead of winter.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm planning a trip BOS-ZRH-DXB-ZRH-BOS on Swiss and on the return there is an 11 hour layover in Zurich so I'm thinking of leaving the airport and exploring the city for a day. Are there any airline/government policies/laws that would make this difficult? I won't be taking my suitcase in to the city; will I need to collect it to pass customs and then recheck it?

And while I'm at it, any must-do or must-see items? I'll be there in the dead of winter.
I did this, albeit with a hotel stay overnight at the airport. Easy train into the city, and I actually enjoyed just walking around the city at dusk and once it got dark and the snow was lightly falling.

There should be no reason to stop you from entering Switzerland through passport control (assuming you are a US citizen?), and you won't have to collect your bags - I assume they will be checked through.

In the past there were several LX FTers who offered to meet and show visitors around - they may reply to this thread.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 2:27 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
For one day I'd go for the Bahnhofstrasse area, a lot of small backstreats with beautiful houses, and on the end of the street a nice view on the lake. Go to "Sprngli" and try some "Luxemburgerli"!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alect
There should be no reason to stop you from entering Switzerland through passport control (assuming you are a US citizen?), and you won't have to collect your bags - I assume they will be checked through.
Yes, I have a US passport and I already read up on the visa requirements (or lack thereof) for visiting... I was just worried they might corral me into some transit lounge and not let me leave or similar.

Originally Posted by DTS
For one day I'd go for the Bahnhofstrasse area, a lot of small backstreats with beautiful houses, and on the end of the street a nice view on the lake. Go to "Sprüngli" and try some "Luxemburgerli"!
Thanks, I'll look into those.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Yes, I have a US passport and I already read up on the visa requirements (or lack thereof) for visiting... I was just worried they might corral me into some transit lounge and not let me leave or similar.
No problems with coraling - you can easily transit landside if you so wish.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:22 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Go to "Sprngli" and try some "Luxemburgerli"!

Sprngli at Paradeplatz (in the middle of Zurich Bahnhofstrasse, on your way from the train main station to the lake) will be closed for renovation during this summer. There will be temporarily a sales outlet just opposite under the arcades of Credit Suisse.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This doesn't seem to be related to travel on Swiss airline so moving to the relevant destination forum.

Kiwi Flyer
M&M moderator
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance silver, Qantas Frequent Flyer
Ah, the Luxemburgerli! I knew I forgot something the last time I was in Zurich

If the weather is fine and you have a few more hours, you could also (in addition to walking through the Bahnhofstrasse and surrounding streets) do a short boat trip on the lake or river, or take the train to the "Uetliberg", a small mountain just next to the city with a nice view.

- Xilef
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:00 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by xilef
If the weather is fine and you have a few more hours, you could also (in addition to walking through the Bahnhofstrasse and surrounding streets) do a short boat trip on the lake or river, or take the train to the "Uetliberg", a small mountain just next to the city with a nice view.

- Xilef
If the weather is fine and you do not have a lot of time to go somewhere for a nice view, you can also go to the cafeteria of the Computer Science Department of ETH. It's a 5-10 min walk from the main railway station and on a nice day, the view is wonderful. PM me for directions. Only open during business hours on business days...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:22 am

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
I would definitely recommend Zurich Zoo - take tram number 6 (direction Zoo) from the city centre. The Zoo has tapirs! ^

I recall you can buy a train ticket from a/p that gives unlimited journeys on buses and trains as well.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:22 pm

Day in Zurich

If I had 11 hours in Zurich, I'd take the SBB to Zurich Central. The airport train station is in the basement of the terminal - and easy to find. Best bet is to queue for a ticket - if you're not comfortable using the automated machines [and yes, all of us have paid more for tickets than we needed to because we didn't know what we were doing.] The trains leave every five-10 minutes and get you to HB/Central Station in about 15 mins. [PS: Conductors almost never check tickets for the airport run - but you didn't hear it from me.]

Once at the main station [worth 20 minutes or so poking around; there's a very good newsstand with international newspapers and magazines along with an excellent tourist office with plenty of brochures, maps and helpful staffers who speak English] follow the signs to Bahnhofstrasse which is the main pedestrian drag from the train station to the lakefront. There are trams which run the route but it's only about a mile and better seen walking than riding. Lots of high and medium-end stores on both sides of the street. Watch stores, luxury brands [Gucci, LV, Zegna, etc], cafes [yes, Starbucks], restaurants, etc. Bahnhofstrasse [window] shopping is worth about an hour of your time. Once at the end, head over to Paradeplatz and the Tram office. You can buy a one day ticket there. They've got maps and guidebooks too. I'd grab a tram to the main art museum [Kunsthaus] which is about four stops away and definitely worth a visit. When I first visit a city I've never been to, I like to ride the trams to get a sense of geography and neighborhoods. Zurich is a terrific city to explore by tram. I typically ride to the end of each tram - noting places I'd like to check out.

Last edited by pdx42; Jul 27, 2007 at 2:25 pm
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I was just worried they might corral me into some transit lounge and not let me leave or similar
I think you are confusing Europe with the US
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: LH/LX
Originally Posted by pdx42
[PS: Conductors almost never check tickets for the airport run - but you didn't hear it from me.]
As there are Intercities and S-Bahn trains, I wouldn't be that sure about this.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
Originally Posted by pdx42
[PS: Conductors almost never check tickets for the airport run - but you didn't hear it from me.]
Don't be so sure about this ... I'm ZRH-based and see them regularly! I recommend you buy a return ticket from ZRH airport to the city which will allow you to use all trams, boats and buses within Zurich and back to the airport. The return ticket is either 7.80 CHF or 12.00 CHF (not sure about zones). More information on www.zvv.ch.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:51 pm

ticket checking.

I can't dispute the pov of locals - I've just never had my ticket checked on the ride between the airport and HB. Then again, I also always buy a ticket because that's the way I am - plus I don't want to get nailed for a penalty fare. The tram tickets get checked on a regular basis; not as aggressively as Rotterdam and Berlin - but expect to be asked to see it at some point during the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.