Salzburg to Venice - Train vs Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Salzburg to Venice - Train vs Car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. There are 2 times I would really like to have a car - one is from Prague to Vienna in order to do some sight-seeing in the Czech Republic and the other is between Vienna and Salzburg to have the freedom to stop whenever we wish along the way. However, the more I research, the more it seems like my best bet is the Eastern Europe Rail pass. If I pick-up a car in Prague, I would need to make sure it had an Austrian Auto-bahn sticker(I forget what it is called right now) or buy one once I arrive. The price difference would also be a vote for the Rail Pass. The only time it wouldn't work is to Venice. But I think we could use the Pass to Villach and then buy tickets from there to Venice(or should we buy this leg ahead of time?). I was very glad to read that ND76 had traveled the Salzburg-Venice route via train and recommended it.
The last time we were in Europe we rented a car. Drove from Frankfurt to Paris, visiting Bacharach, Luxembourg, Bastogne, Koln, Netherlands(quickly), Brugge and dropped the car at Versailles. It took SO much longer to get from place to place than I had researched. The traffic was a real pain and while it was fun sometimes to get a little lost in the towns - other times it was not! :-)
The other option is the Rail/Drive pass, but the price is so much higher than the Eastern Europe pass, I'm not sure it is worth it for the times we would like to have a car. With a many places as I am trying to visit in 10 days(Prague,Vienna, Budapest, Salzburg, Venice, Madrid(one night as part of our return)), I'm starting to think our schedule is full enough without trying to fit in extra sights in between cities. I try to balance that with my tendency to see as much as I can wherever I go, as you never know if you will ever get back!
The idea of dropping the car in Munich is interesting, but I would think flights for 3 people would be expensive - yes?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:35 am

In late 2005 I drove from Salzburg to Venice. We rented the car at the Frankfurt Airport - it was a 'Baby Benz'. We were able to bring it into Italy and later dropped it off in Paris at CDG. Anyway, the scenery is breathtaking - although a little scary when you look down. The specific route we took was through the National Park of the highest mountain in Austria. http://www.grossglockner.com/highalpineroad/ - Also, don't talk on your cellphone while driving - the Austrian Police will catch you
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:01 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by CherylD
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. There are 2 times I would really like to have a car - one is from Prague to Vienna in order to do some sight-seeing in the Czech Republic and the other is between Vienna and Salzburg to have the freedom to stop whenever we wish along the way. However, the more I research, the more it seems like my best bet is the Eastern Europe Rail pass. If I pick-up a car in Prague, I would need to make sure it had an Austrian Auto-bahn sticker(I forget what it is called right now) or buy one once I arrive. The price difference would also be a vote for the Rail Pass. The only time it wouldn't work is to Venice. But I think we could use the Pass to Villach and then buy tickets from there to Venice(or should we buy this leg ahead of time?). I was very glad to read that ND76 had traveled the Salzburg-Venice route via train and recommended it.
The last time we were in Europe we rented a car. Drove from Frankfurt to Paris, visiting Bacharach, Luxembourg, Bastogne, Koln, Netherlands(quickly), Brugge and dropped the car at Versailles. It took SO much longer to get from place to place than I had researched. The traffic was a real pain and while it was fun sometimes to get a little lost in the towns - other times it was not! :-)
The other option is the Rail/Drive pass, but the price is so much higher than the Eastern Europe pass, I'm not sure it is worth it for the times we would like to have a car. With a many places as I am trying to visit in 10 days(Prague,Vienna, Budapest, Salzburg, Venice, Madrid(one night as part of our return)), I'm starting to think our schedule is full enough without trying to fit in extra sights in between cities. I try to balance that with my tendency to see as much as I can wherever I go, as you never know if you will ever get back!
The idea of dropping the car in Munich is interesting, but I would think flights for 3 people would be expensive - yes?
Driving by car from VIE to SZG is about 2,5 hours. The trains are very fast on this route 3 hours. When you will travel relaxed and you don´t need a car (SZG has a good public transportation system), take the train !!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you, do I need to make reservations for the trains ahead of time? My main concern is the Salzburg to Venice train. If I do get the train pass, I would use it to Villach and use a separate ticket from Villach to Venice. As there is only one well-timed connection on that route that allows us to arrive in Venice in the early afternoon - I would not want to have a problem catching these trains. Do these fill up? I could use RailEurope to make the reservation before we leave - but I would be a much higher price than waiting until we arrive in Europe. Thank you again for all of your help!!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:33 pm

Hi all, has anyone had experience traveling between Salzburg and Venice? Mapquest shows the travel time at a little over 4 hours. The best train from Salzburg to Venice is 6 1/2 hours. I don't want to drive the entire route as there is a very steep drop-off fee from Austria to Italy on the car. I thought of driving to Villach, Austria..dropping the car off there..and catching the train to Venice. But, I am concerned as there is only one train from Villach that arrives into Venice in the early afternoon. That might make for a hectic and possibly nerve-wracking day if we miss that train. Any opinions on my best option? Also, is RailEurope the only site to check inter-country rail prices? They seem a little higher when comparing intra-country prices with the country's own rail site.
Thank you! Cheryl
www.viamichelin.com quotes

Time and distance
Time: 04h50 including 03h51 on motorways
Distance: 439km including 419km on motorways

But it can be much longer.

I would go by train! Do you need to reserve? It depends .... during European holidays, weekends ... the trains can be packed.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:23 am

Cheryl - your trip sounds similar to one we're considering for August. Can you tell me the best site where you've found the eastern Europe rail pass for sale? Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:21 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Thank you, do I need to make reservations for the trains ahead of time? My main concern is the Salzburg to Venice train. If I do get the train pass, I would use it to Villach and use a separate ticket from Villach to Venice. As there is only one well-timed connection on that route that allows us to arrive in Venice in the early afternoon - I would not want to have a problem catching these trains. Do these fill up? I could use RailEurope to make the reservation before we leave - but I would be a much higher price than waiting until we arrive in Europe. Thank you again for all of your help!!
It would be better to make a advanced seat reservation. The train from Villach to Venice is quite full.

The connection can be searched at http://fahrplan.oebb.at But it is only in german !!

I think a good connection would be from SZG at 7.04 am, arriving at Villach at 9.48 am, next train will depart at 10.37 and you will arrive at VCE at 1.26 pm.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:08 am

I am Venetian, married to an Austrian. We live in Venice and spend our holidays and week-ends in Austria (near Friesach, between Vienna and Venice).

I have only found once in 15 years the Vienna-Venice train full: January 1 2000, when a lot of Italians went back home after New Year in Austria.

Booking is compulsory and you will not be able to buy your ticket without a reservation. A week or 2 in advance should be OK.

By car, highways are OK until the border with Italy (Tarvis). Then traffic can be extremely congested, esp. lorries/trucks. Then in Mestre, the so-called "tangenziale" is a nightmare for European drivers. You might end up in a jam for hours.

It is always better to reach Venice by train !
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: AP, AM, HH, HG, MR
Depends on how far out you book and on what day of the week you fly but I think you might be suprised. I paid about 220 Euro RT but that was with a Monday departure and a Friday return. Flights are on Air Dolomiti, a regional carrier under the LH banner which only services northern Italy. Most of the flights are on old Avros but the IF service is superb.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, Thank you for all of the very helpful advice. We have purchased an Eastern Europe Eurail pass that will cover all of our travel with the exception of getting to Venice. We will purchase a separate ticket from Villach to Venice for that leg.
I was very grateful to receive the advice on what the traffic can be like heading into Venice and I think we made the best choice by choosing the train.

kmcg - we purchased our pass through Rick Steves' site. Even though they charge for shipping - if you are going to purchase from their travel store or just need a little more advice - this makes up for the shipping fee. I found them very helpful. My other choice would have been Eurail.com - as they offer free shipping and give you one more freebie than the other sites do.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:22 pm

Anyone who has done this-- what is the approximate cost of the IC train from Villach to Venice, (leaving at 10:30, arriving at 1:30 in the afternoon)? The Oebb.de site is helpful but gives no prices. Is RailEurope the only site I can book this on in advance? I would be with three other people traveling so I would like to book in advance.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midnightsun
Anyone who has done this-- what is the approximate cost of the IC train from Villach to Venice, (leaving at 10:30, arriving at 1:30 in the afternoon)? The Oebb.de site is helpful but gives no prices. Is RailEurope the only site I can book this on in advance? I would be with three other people traveling so I would like to book in advance.
You can book directly through the oebb.at site, though online tickets aren't available (they'll mail them to you) and they don't tell you the price in advance. There's a 5€ booking fee per order. If you want, you can order by phone: +43/5-1717

ACTUALLY: online tickets do seem to be available for this route. Full price--30€ 2nd class; 45€ 1st class. There are some specials available on some trains for 19€ 2nd class.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:30 pm

I'm bumping this old thread to figure out whether it's considerably faster to take the bus from Venice to Vachille and then the IC to Salzburg... or whether it's relatively the same amount of time to take the train directly from Venice to Innsbruck and then take the high-speed Railjet from Innsbruck to Salzburg? I imagine the latter would be more scenic due to the route. If it's a longer haul, could anyone please tell me by approximately how much time it would extend the overall trip and whether the scenery is worth adding to travel time? The entire day would potentially be reserved for travel, though I'd prefer not to spend 8 hours commuting. I've never been to Innsbruck and the stopover would be nice but not essential.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You mean Venice => Villach? I've been warned away from the OeBB buses but it is faster and more reliable (much less likely to be strike-bound). I think this is faster.

Venice => Verona is about 1:20 where you get on the OeBB train for Munich. OeBB trains will run during Italian rail strikes but some legs may be curtailed. For example, the train from Munich to Bologna that I was on last year was stopped on Verona (fortunately it was my destination). About 3:30 to Innsbruck, or at least it was 3:30 the other way. Most spectacular near the top of the Brenner Pass and into Austria.

Salzburg <=> Innsbruck is just under 2 hrs by Railjet. Nice but not overly spectacular

So the all-rail route will be about 7 hours of rail excluding time for change.

Innsbruck is spectacular on a clear day. Not so much on a cloudy one.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

Hey
What is very important you have to book the hole route in one Ticket if somesink happend you get a Hotel paid or a Taxi or what ever!
In the ÖBB Online Ticket System you can set just one via Point and stay for ~24h there.
I would take a "Sparticket" that is an non Flex Ticket who is valid only on that Train you book for but its very Cheap and take the 1Class! The 2nd is horrible in the Railjet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.