Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uffizi or Accademia?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2002, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Uffizi or Accademia?

Not much into museums, but if I wanted to go to one in Florence, Uffizi or Accademia, which one would you recommend and why? How much is admission? Will I encounter long lines at the end of October?

Wassala

Wassala
Old Jul 9, 2002, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Uffizi, no contest. Accademia has David but not much else. Go early in the day and take the audio tour. You'll enjoy it.
Old Jul 9, 2002, 6:55 pm

The Uffizi takes a limited number of visitors per day. Some friends of mine were unable to get tickets during their 3 day stay last month (they were offered a spot on their fourth, departure day).

It should be better in October, but do secure tickets as soon as you arrive.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 6:20 am

Number one is UFFICI.
I think the next best is PITTI PALACE:

....The entrance to the museum is via the central portico and the Ammannati main courtyard (1558-70). The largest museum is the Palatine Gallery which houses a rich collection of works from the 16 to the 18C, including two exceptional series of paintings by Titian (The Concert, La Bella, Portrait of a Gentleman, Portrait of Tommaso Mosti) and by Raphaël (the Madonna of the Grand Duke, the Madonna della Seggiola, the Veiled Lady, reminiscent of the Fornarina in the Barberini Palace in Rome), complemented by major paintings by Rubens (the Four Philosophers), del Sarto (St John the Baptist), Caravaggio (Sleeping Cupid), Giorgione (the Three Ages of Man) and Lippi (Madonna and Child). In addition, there are statues by Canova, as well as antique statues, frescoes by Pietro de Cortone and sketches by Rembrandt.
The Royal Apartments reflect the luxury of state rooms used for ceremonial occasions (the Throne Room where Victor-Emmanuel became King of Italy); receptions and private activities (study, chapel) of the dynasties in power.
The Gallery of Modern Art houses a collection of post-18C works. (Neo-Classicism, Romantism and, above all Macchiaioli, painters who broke away from the Academic art of previous movements and endeavoured to give an impression of the subject in small, touches of colour).
The Silver Museum has a magnificent collection of ivory, semi-precious stones, gold and silverware and jewellery.
The Palace is also home to a Carriage Museum and a Costume Gallery.....
Old Jul 10, 2002, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

October is a big tourist month for Florence. Lots of trade shows.

Uffizi may well have significient lines. The Pitti Palace tends to be much less crowded. The rooms themselves in the Pitti palace are very interesting.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 9:53 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
You don't need to wait until you arrive to get tickets. There are some websites where you can order tickets in advance. The longest lines are for ticket sales, not entry, so you'll save lots of time. Do a quick Google search and I'm sure you'll find them. I blitzed through the Accademia pretty quick because I primarily wanted to see David. I'd get tickets for both in advance.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:18 am

Not so much a dissent as an alternative:

My favorite artsy place in Florence (well actually my favorite artsy place in Florence is Florence itself) is the Bargello museum, in the center of town. It's much smaller than some of the better-known joints -- good for those with short attention spans and those who want to see good stuff but also are happier outdoors than indoors.

Alas, I wound up indoors in the Bargello far longer than anticipated, 'cause it was not so easy to turn away from Donatello's David (oh, gawd, what a beautiful piece) or Michelangelo's Pieta (which still makes me cry).
Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:05 am

I vote for seeing David at L'Academia. If one is not a "museum" person, the lines and wait at the Uffizi can detract from the experience. I went in late October 2 years ago and waited for 45 mins to get in, even with a prepurchased ticket and reservation. There was no wait to see David, even though the gallery was crowded. In either case, make the reservation and buy tickets before you get there. Also, the galleries are not open every day, so plan your itinerary accordingly if you want to visit the galleries.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I will also be in Florence in October, for five days. I am planning to hit all the major museums -- Accademia, Bargello, Uffizi, and others. (Was in Florence eight years ago for only about two days, and visited Uffizi and Accademia museums.)

I was also wondering whether I should try to book my museum tickets now, or wait until my arrival in Florence. Disadvantage of booking early is that then I'm locked into a schedule that may not suit me once I arrive.

According to Rick Steves' Italy guidebook, only the Uffizi and the Accademia are likely to have long lines, and therefore are worth reserving in advance. He gives a telephone number (in Italy) that you can call and get an English-speaking operator to make your museum reservations: 011 (from US) - 39 (from outside Italy) - 055-294-883. This number can be used to book the Uffizi, Accademia, Bargello, Medici Chapel, and Pitti Palace. You get a confirmation number for each reservation.

An alternative, once you are in Florence, is to book reservations and tickets at one of the less-crowded museums for one of the more-crowded ones. Of course, on a short stay, this may not work if the popular museums are already booked up.

Kathy
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:43 am

The Uffizi and the Bargello are my favorites. Definitely get your tickets ahead of time. During one of our last trips our hotel was able to call ahead and reserve our tickets. Get them ahead of time in any manner necessary. Getting our tickets saved us two hours on line. There are only a certain number of people allowed in at a time.
Let me emphasize the Bargello. What the Uffizi is to painting, the Bargello is to Sculpture. You can see the two panels entered by Lorenzo Ghiberti and Filippo Brunelleschi for the Baptistery Doors competition of 1401. My personal favorite is Donatello's St. George.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 7:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold VIP,QP Gold, PC Platinum, pleb everthing else
I was in Florence last October and the lines to the Uffizi were up to two hours waiting. The solution is to purchase an entry ticket one to two days in advance at a predesignated entry time of your choice. You turn at that time (30 minute intervals) and walk straight in. Early morning is best. Two hours there will barely scratch the surface. There is just so much to see in Florence. Enjoy.

------------------
JBC
If it is to be, it is up to me

[This message has been edited by John Cogley (edited 07-11-2002).]
Old Aug 18, 2002, 12:29 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It would be a shame not to see the Uffizi. One alternative would be to NOT go early in the morning, but to join the queue after lunch and plan to spend the afternoon. Most people tend to show up first thing.

Let me ditto the suggestions of the Bargello and the Pitti. Much less crowded, and equally fascinating.

I would add--take a tour of the Palazzo Vecchio. Lots of interesting art and other things. Also, the Fra Angelico museum used to be a monastery where he lived--it's pretty fascinating. It's over by the Accademia.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 1:43 pm

Yet another vote for the Uffizi.

You turn every corner and think "So *that's* where that is" I've been 9 times and could still go again.

I've been to the Accademia twice. Don't much need to see it a third time. The copy of David in the Piazza della Signoria should convey the message adequately if you're short on time.

If you have enough time, see both. The Accademia doesn't take a long time but, in either event....

*Buy tickets in advance over the web!!*

I've been in Florence in February when the lines were crazy. You just can't dodge the tourists. Even in October of last year when the news reports would have suggested that every American was bunkered down waiting for the end of the world and not travelling further than the corner store, there were 2+ hour lines at the Uffizi.

One other suggestion for times: Depending on how long you think you'll want to spend in the Uffizi (I usually like to spend 2 hours before I reach the bug-eyed state), pick one of the last entry times of the day. The museum will still be open for a while after the last entry and you'll avoid some of the crowds. Risk: you'll find yourself rushed at the end. But heck, I'm more of an Early Renaissance nut and those rooms come first!
Old Sep 4, 2002, 4:20 pm

Both the Accademia and the Uffizi will allow you to purchase a same-day reservation if you don't want to impose a schedule on yourself by booking too far ahead of time. You simply go to a special window, pay a small additional fee (maybe $2-3), and receive a ticket to enter, for example, between 1:30-1:45 pm that day. (This is similar to the Disney Fast Pass for rides if you're familiar with that.) Of the two, I would recommend the Uffizi just for sheer volume of well-known master works. Outside of David and a couple of paintings, I found the Accademia rather ho-hum.

FYI, the Science Museum just around the corner from the Uffizi is worth a visit. You can see some of Galileo's telescopes, a beautiful map room, and a fascinatingly disturbing exhibit of old medical instruments & supplies.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
An Uffizi "Fast Pass!"

I love it!

I have been debating whether to call ahead or just wait till I get to Florence. I would be more than willing to pay a couple extra bucks to have this flexibility.

Thanks, warmsnickers.

Kathy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.