Search

Who has Flown into Geneva from US?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Who has Flown into Geneva from US?

Hi,

So I'm flying into Geneva from the USA but going to live in France.

I need some help what to expect from the immigration perspective.

1. Do you clear Swiss immigration FIRST and then exit on the French side?

OR

Do you have the option of clearing French or Swiss immigration in Geneva?

2. If I clear Swiss immigration in Geneva airport when/where do I clear French immigration.

The challenge is that I'm going to spend a year in France so I have a long term visa. But I need some immigration official to enter it as the method of entry into France.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Immigration control at GVA is operated by Switzerland, but as both Switzerland and France are in the Schengen area, it makes no difference which country operates it.

A Swiss border police officer is able to grant you entry into France under your visa.

You then have the option of exiting the airport into Switzerland or France for customs purposes. This may be important if you are bringing a lot of personal belongings with you for your 1-year stay.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
A Swiss border police officer is able to grant you entry into France under your visa.
Are you sure about this? i.e. have you done this yourself?

The reason I ask is because my French long stay visa is ONLY for France (not a Schengen country).
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
The reason I ask is because my French long stay visa is ONLY for France (not a Schengen country).
France is part of Schengen as well (except their overseas territories).

It's very likely that your long-term national visa allows you to travel all around Schengen for up to 90 days within 180 days.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would just exit out the French side of the airport (keep an eye out for it)...will save you any grief going out the Swiss side, such as having the necessary stickers for the toll roads in Switzerland. When I did EWR-GVA last February, it was very simple to do and the signs were straightforward.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would just exit out the French side of the airport (keep an eye out for it)...will save you any grief going out the Swiss side, such as having the necessary stickers for the toll roads in Switzerland. When I did EWR-GVA last February, it was very simple to do and the signs were straightforward.
Thanks. Yes, I've booked a car on the French side but my question is about immigration.

Can someone verify @! comment that the Swiss border official will be able to grant me entry into France with my visa?

Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Thanks. Yes, I've booked a car on the French side but my question is about immigration.

Can someone verify @! comment that the Swiss border official will be able to grant me entry into France with my visa?

Thanks.
you don't get entry into a specific country. Swiss immigration will grant you entry into Schengen. However when exiting to the French side there are French customs officials available in case you need something specific from French authorities. I'm not sure if there are also French immigration officials there.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
In GVA if you're arriving from the US and want to exit on the French side of the airport, the process is that you go through Swiss immigration, collect your bags, walk through customs and you'll be in arrivals on the Swiss side. Go up one level to check-in, walk to the north-east end of the terminals (if you're facing the check-in desks, turn right). At the end of the terminal turn left and walk through some one-way gates, past French customs (who are rarely present) and you're in the French sector. There are no immigration checks between Switzerland and France as both are in the Schengen zone.
There's no direct access to the French sector from planes arriving from destinations outside France. Note also that the French sector is very small but has the advantage that rental cars are directly accessible, without the need for a shuttle.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks!

So the Swiss agent will let me into Switzerland because:

a) Of my French long term visa or
b) I have a US passport and I can enter Switzerland on the visa waiver program

Finally, do they expect a return ticket? Since I'm staying for a year I only booked a one way ticket.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by catandmouse
In GVA if you're arriving from the US and want to exit on the French side of the airport, the process is that you go through Swiss immigration, collect your bags, walk through customs and you'll be in arrivals on the Swiss side. Go up one level to check-in, walk to the north-east end of the terminals (if you're facing the check-in desks, turn right). At the end of the terminal turn left and walk through some one-way gates, past French customs (who are rarely present) and you're in the French sector. There are no immigration checks between Switzerland and France as both are in the Schengen zone.
There's no direct access to the French sector from planes arriving from destinations outside France. Note also that the French sector is very small but has the advantage that rental cars are directly accessible, without the need for a shuttle.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:02 am

Your entry into the Schengen area is going to be through Switzerland. There are no immigration checks between Switzerland and France anyway so you won't even see any French passport checks. You may possibly see a couple of customs officials as you cross into the French sector, but I doubt they would be interested in passports.
There should be no problem you passing through Swiss immigration with your long-term visa. Unless it's specifically endorsed, it's valid in the whole of the Schengen zone. The immigration officials (Swiss) may ask a couple of questions, but even that's unlikely.
On a practical note, there's no public transportation from the French sector, so you either need someone to collect you or be picking up a rental car.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:29 am

So the Swiss agent will let me into Switzerland because:

a) Of my French long term visa or
b) I have a US passport and I can enter Switzerland on the visa waiver program

Finally, do they expect a return ticket? Since I'm staying for a year I only booked a one way ticket.

Thanks!
Strictly speaking, he should let you in because of your long term visa, but it makes none the difference, you still get the same entry stamp, he might not even scroll through to search for one since you don't strictly need a visa to enter.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

One last question

Has anyone done the entry into GVA on a one-way ticket?

Since I'll be staying in France a year I couldn't book a return leg.

Wlll the Swiss border agent expect an onward/return ticket to show I'm not going to stay more than 90 days in Switzerland? Or will the long term visa for France sufficient.

Last edited by inpd; Aug 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:40 am

You're entering the Schengen zone and the immigration official will only be interested in ensuring that you have the right documentation to enter the Schengen zone. He may ask you a couple of questions about how long you're going to stay, financial resources and so on, but arriving in GVA and going to France is something the immigration officials see hundreds of times every day. GVA is the local airport for the whole of that area of France after all.
It makes no difference whether your long-haul flight was to CDG, FRA, AMS or GVA. Each of these are Schengen entry points and they would each carry out similar checks.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it too late to change your flight and just fly to CDG?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Is it too late to change your flight and just fly to CDG?
yes, but why should i change them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.