Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Traveling with Dual Citizenship

Hello,

I haven't been able to find a straight answer on this anywhere. I have dual US/German citizenship. I know that I have to enter and exit the US on the US passport and the EU on the German one. But where exactly do I "exit" the United States? There is no passport control for departures in the United States. And based on what I've read, airlines send your check-in information to your destination. So if I were flying to Germany, I'd have to scan my German passport at airline check-in because I'd be using that one to enter Europe. Is that correct? How do other dual US/EU citizens deal with this? I want to be sure I do it the right way on an upcoming trip. It's been years since I've flown internationally, so there was always a person I could show both to at check-in, but I've heard from friends that now it's all just kiosks and that the people at the counters don't check you in - they just direct you back to the kiosks

Thank you!
Old May 19, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by schwkat
Hello,

I haven't been able to find a straight answer on this anywhere. I have dual US/German citizenship. I know that I have to enter and exit the US on the US passport and the EU on the German one. But where exactly do I "exit" the United States? There is no passport control for departures in the United States. And based on what I've read, airlines send your check-in information to your destination. So if I were flying to Germany, I'd have to scan my German passport at airline check-in because I'd be using that one to enter Europe. Is that correct? How do other dual US/EU citizens deal with this? I want to be sure I do it the right way on an upcoming trip. It's been years since I've flown internationally, so there was always a person I could show both to at check-in, but I've heard from friends that now it's all just kiosks and that the people at the counters don't check you in - they just direct you back to the kiosks

Thank you!
Use your US passport to check in with the airline for the trip from the US to Germany and, if applicable from Europe to the US. Show your US passport to US government types and show your German passport to EU/EFTA government types, when dealing directly with government employees. The airlines may want to see proof of admissibility to the other country/countries on the itinerary, and for that just flash them your EU passport, if that even comes up.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I've CH/US, and I typically travel as swiss unless entering the USA. Then I travel as a US citizen. I generally let the airline I'm traveling with to/from the US know I'm a US citizen when dropping my bags off. When dealing with border agents, if I'm going into the US, I'm American, and give my US passport. In all other cases, I'm Swiss.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I'm a dual US/UK citizen, and what I do when traveling between the two is basically use my US passport at all points, except for when I reach the UK, at which point I use my UK passport in the automated barriers to enter the UK.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I am dual US/CA -- I always give the airline my US passport (which mostly Delta/SkyTeam) and when entering the US. Going to the EU if I'm traveling with my Canadian (only) cousin I use the Canadian passport out of solidarity. I also for some arbitrary reason use the Canadian to enter UK/Ireland. Otherwise I use the US -- but I don't go anywhere exotic

Back before Global Entry I used the Canadian one more, as the US CBP agents always stamped the US one (and somewhat haphazardly) and I was running out of pages (even after having pages added).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.