Search

Brussels Hotel Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Brussels Hotel Question

I booked two rooms for my mother and I at the Hilton Garden Inn Brussels in a few weeks. Does anyone know if this is within good walking distance to the central market, shops, restaurants, etc?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
I booked two rooms for my mother and I at the Hilton Garden Inn Brussels in a few weeks. Does anyone know if this is within good walking distance to the central market, shops, restaurants, etc?
According to Google Maps, you are about 25-30 minutes walking from La Grand Place. Certainly doable, but it's not *that* close. I can't speak for the shops/restaurants in that part of Brussels as I did not stay there when I was in town.

FWIW - I stayed at The Dominican (which is very close by)...understated hotel, no frills, but very convenient and satisfied all of our needs and had modern amenities. It wasn't that expensive either.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
According to Google Maps, you are about 25-30 minutes walking from La Grand Place. Certainly doable, but it's not *that* close. I can't speak for the shops/restaurants in that part of Brussels as I did not stay there when I was in town.

FWIW - I stayed at The Dominican (which is very close by)...understated hotel, no frills, but very convenient and satisfied all of our needs and had modern amenities. It wasn't that expensive either.
Thanks for the info. That's a bit of a hike (73 year old mother) but uber is my friend. I was looking for a Hilton property. I will see if their other two properties are closer.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Thanks for the info. That's a bit of a hike (73 year old mother) but uber is my friend. I was looking for a Hilton property. I will see if their other two properties are closer.
Yes - and there are some elevation changes (Grand Place is on lower terrain). Somewhere closer would be ideal if you want to minimize cab/ber usage.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:16 pm

I'd also recommend a different property for your needs. The immediate area of the Garden Inn is meh, a few blocks up North (but up a hill) around Place Louise and Place Stephanie is a nice upmarket shopping district, a few blocks further South around Porte de Hal it's downright dodgy at night.

uber is my friend
..it isn't in Brussels. Regular Uber is banned in Brussels. They do operate a limo-type service, but it is isn't nearly as readily available (or cheap) as you'd expect Uber to be.

There is an okay Hilton right in the Grand Place area. Very touristy, but looks like more what you are looking for.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
I think the Hilton at 'Carrefour de l'europe' would suit you much better. In walking distance of Grand Place, the royal palace, the central station and a metro station.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have you looked at the Rocco Forte hotel? It's quite nice, has a great bar, and is very central.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at the other HIlton property.

LondonElite no I'm not familiar with the Rocco Forte. I will check that out too.

Also We are taking the non stop eurostar from Ashford Int'l. Will I be able to buy a cold pint on the way home?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zolex
I think the Hilton at 'Carrefour de l'europe' would suit you much better. In walking distance of Grand Place, the royal palace, the central station and a metro station.
Just checked it out. Looks nice but above my price range for 2 rooms.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at the other HIlton property.

LondonElite no I'm not familiar with the Rocco Forte. I will check that out too.

Also We are taking the non stop eurostar from Ashford Int'l. Will I be able to buy a cold pint on the way home?

Last time I took the Eurostar there was 'Stella Artois' onboard the Eurostar. Something I much appreciate being Belgian
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zolex
Last time I took the Eurostar there was 'Stella Artois' onboard the Eurostar. Something I much appreciate being Belgian
Lol that would make sense!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I took advice of posters on here and canceled the HGI and choose hotel right in the city center (Hotel Ibis). Walking distance to/from train, sights, etc.

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:13 pm

I took advice of posters on here and canceled the HGI and choose hotel right in the city center (Hotel Ibis).
In case you do not know the chain, Ibis is a level (or several) below HGI.

I did not see the thread earlier, if not I would have adviced you to look at the Hilton City. It's not very central, but better situated than the HGI (and cheaper then the Hilton Grand Place).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by Koby
In case you do not know the chain, Ibis is a level (or several) below HGI.
They're not far apart. Overall, HGI may be mid-market and ibis economy but that's just one notch. Actually, the variance within those brands is big enough that occasionally, an ibis may be superior to a HGI in the same city.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the HGI in Brussels. But some of the ibis' in Brussels (particularly, the ibis styles Brussels Stephanie) I'd consider above-average for the ibis brand.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fppmongo
They're not far apart. Overall, HGI may be mid-market and ibis economy but that's just one notch. Actually, the variance within those brands is big enough that occasionally, an ibis may be superior to a HGI in the same city.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the HGI in Brussels. But some of the ibis' in Brussels (particularly, the ibis styles Brussels Stephanie) I'd consider above-average for the ibis brand.
I know it's generally a notch below HGI. However distance was important here and it got a good review. The ibis was also 50% more than the HGI but that's because of its location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.