Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
OMG, please stop. My ribs cannot take any more of this!
Honestly, I'm surprised that OP hasn't yet changed his mind and swapped the inhospitable rock in the Atlantic for something more Southern (I'm thinking St. Martin, etc.).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
With regards to job prospects, I am thinking that if the French Government is paying hefty bonuses to get civil servants to move there, then they will have in interest in letting someone who wants to live there stay....
Yes it may pay bonuses for French CITIZENS to go and work in governmental positions there but you are not one of those.

For example Embassy and Consulates employ local labour but for low level clerical tasks etc. They are not going to employ you as a policeman or customs officer. And it's not a way to get early citizenship.

Have you actually looked to see what jobs are on offer in Saint Pierre? Do any match your skills in 'web dev'?

I'm begining to wonder about your sanity.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:48 pm

You may be able to move to Svalbard (no visa required) and get Norwegian citizenship after living there fore seven years... good luck.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iamflyer
You may be able to move to Svalbard (no visa required) and get Norwegian citizenship after living there fore seven years... good luck.
It could be as little as 4 years of living in Norway, if the OP shacks up with a Norwegian for 3 years before moving to Norway and sticks to the person for a combined total of 7 years. It's faster/easier to get Swedish citizenship.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: *G
you put money into cyprus, spain, malta, etc.... its a fast-track to residency and even citizenship... and maybe cheaper long term than a marriage
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by deniah
you put money into cyprus, spain, malta, etc.... its a fast-track to residency and even citizenship... and maybe cheaper long term than a marriage
Don't those make you make a one-time payment? I don't think I can afford that....
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
... and maybe cheaper long term than a marriage
Depend on where you invest. Probably a lot of new Cyprian/Spanish citizens that lost their investments over the last couple of years. A good lawyer (and preparation) can save lots of your money in the divorce. The same can't be said about the investments done in order to become citizen.

And ironically the money, you spend to become a citizen, could actually be spend building a proper life in the country of which you want to become a citizen. A couple of millions buy you a nice flat in France/Germany/London and leave enough start-up capital for you business. Meanwhile you could learn the language and culture and pass the tests eventually.

A couple of friends did acquire a second citizenship even though it has absolutely no advantage to them. They just felt, that they identified with the nation they are living in.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You're all wasting your time with the OP ... he's either woefully and/or willfully misguided and is unwilling and/or unable to understand rational responses.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I actually had to go back to the first post to check if it wasn't posted on Apr 1
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Depend on where you invest. Probably a lot of new Cyprian/Spanish citizens that lost their investments over the last couple of years. A good lawyer (and preparation) can save lots of your money in the divorce. The same can't be said about the investments done in order to become citizen.

And ironically the money, you spend to become a citizen, could actually be spend building a proper life in the country of which you want to become a citizen. A couple of millions buy you a nice flat in France/Germany/London and leave enough start-up capital for you business. Meanwhile you could learn the language and culture and pass the tests eventually.

A couple of friends did acquire a second citizenship even though it has absolutely no advantage to them. They just felt, that they identified with the nation they are living in.
Diivorce is generally cheap in Sweden, and marriage isn't even required for fast track citizenship.

Given governments seem to be finding more and more excuses to deny/revoke passports or even citizenship, collecting citizenships can be a very effective way to try to maximize freedom.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I honestly don't see this happening, but it is funny and it would make Canada part of the EU. I would not need to do anything to get an EU Passport...

BBC News: Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:35 pm

I honestly don't see this happening, but it is funny and it would make Canada part of the EU. I would not need to do anything to get an EU Passport...
Sure...

You and I will be reduced to dust by the time that will happen. Canada would need to join the EU and I don't see that happening. You would've better chances to get an EU Passport by sticking to your original plan of spending 5 years on an inhospitable rock in the Northern Atlantic.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I honestly don't see this happening, but it is funny and it would make Canada part of the EU.
Scotland's leaving the UK and joining Canada would in no way make Canada part of the EU. Canada would have to apply and be accepted for membership to achieve that.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Scotland's leaving the UK and joining Canada would in no way make Canada part of the EU. Canada would have to apply and be accepted for membership to achieve that.
Did you read the article? Scotland applying on its own is highly unlikely because of the economic conditions there. If they apply as part of a Canadian Federation, it is more likely that it will get accepted...

Last edited by OSSYULYYZ; Apr 7, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Did you read the article? Scotland applying on its own is highly unlikely because of the economic conditions there. If they apply as a Canadian Federation, it is more likely that it will get accepted...
A glance was enough for me. People have wild ideas all the time.

Did you know that Nova Scotia once had a politically significant movement supporting its annexation to the United States?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.