Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest for 11 days, Marriott or Kempinski?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest

We will be in Budapest for 11 days next August and have never been before. I have made reservations at both the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus and the Marriott Boscolo. Is one more desirable than the other? They are approximately the same rates.
Also any suggestions on what not to miss in Budapest would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Haven't stayed in either, but the Kempinski is right by an interchange where the M1, M2, M3 and a tram line run together if you're thinking of using a lot of public transportation. I'd say more centrally located to most of the tourist sites too, although central Budapest is very walkable anyway.

The Boscolo is not far from the Keleti train station. Quite a bit further from the river and the Buda side.

As far as what to see, 11 days is a long time, you'll be able to see just about anything. You may want to consider even doing some side trips out of the city. Go to one of the baths, maybe either Gellert or Széchenyi. Find a butcher shop for lunch one day. Enjoy a ruin pub or just a glass of excellent Hungarian wine outside...maybe by St. Stephen's where it will cost too much but you'll have a lovely view of the basilica. Walk up castle hill rather than take the funicular if you can...it's a nice walk with enough shade in the summer.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank You for the great suggestions Jbord! Several of the days will be spent in the pool at the Dagaly Aquatics Complex, which is north of the central area and on the waterfront. We will be using public transport to get around. The Kempinski is closer, but I'm more familiar with Marriott properties.We are definitely looking forward to some good food, great wine and nice long walks around the city enjoying the architecture.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The Kempinski is very nice, but IMO the Boscolo is even better. Both are vry good choices.

In the end, I think it boils down to location, loyalty programme and price, not neccessarily in that order.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
11 days - I'd get an apartment for more space. It'll probably be cheaper too
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by Palal
11 days - I'd get an apartment for more space. It'll probably be cheaper too
I agree with this sentiment. Having a kitchen and bedrooms makes things easier and can save quite a bit when it comes to meals & snacks.

I also agree that 11 days in a lot. I'd suggest at least 2 days in Vienna which is a quick railjet (Austrian train) ride away and an amazing city. Bratislava is another option.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I agree with this sentiment. Having a kitchen and bedrooms makes things easier and can save quite a bit when it comes to meals & snacks.

I also agree that 11 days in a lot. I'd suggest at least 2 days in Vienna which is a quick railjet (Austrian train) ride away and an amazing city. Bratislava is another option.
why train it? since the OP mentioned going in August,Id suggest taking the river boat and stopping in BTS on the way to Vien

But agree 11 days in BUD is alot
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the apartment suggestion. Would the best way be to look at AirBnb? I know 11 days seems like a lot but we are there for a week long swimming competition. We are arriving 4 days early to acclimate to the time change from the US west coast, So really I only have 3-4 days to tour Budapest.

I actually really like hotels so I don't mind all that time staying at one. I booked a cancelable reservation at the Marriott Boscalo for around $130 and now the rate is around $350, so I think I got a good deal.

I'm open to any suggestions as to what not to miss in Budapest! Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
AirBnB is a good choice if you're going to go the apartment route.

The downside is that you won't have breakfast included, but if the apartment is in the center, you shouldn't have any issues finding a good cheap place to eat
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Hotels.com has Serviced Apartment listings in many cities. I've used them in Europe and South Africa.

The river cruise is a nice way to travel but I like trains more.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:59 pm

Sziget Festival is a great fun.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Hotels.com has Serviced Apartment listings in many cities. I've used them in Europe and South Africa.

Theres also a Marriott Exec Apartments which is a short walk from the Marriott, havent seen them firsthand so they may be more like a fancy Residence Inn then an actual apartment
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion! I booked a Brody House apartment through hotels.com. Significantly less than my Marriott Boscolo booking.

I also like train travel more than river cruising.

Last edited by Geogirl1234; Dec 26, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balou
Sziget Festival is a great fun.
I checked out the website. That does look like a lot of fun, especially the art!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
Thanks for the suggestion! I booked a Brody House apartment through hotels.com. Significantly less than my Marriott Boscolo booking.

I also like train travel more than river cruising.
Looks like this is right by the National Museum. It should be a quick walk from there to the Central Market hall, which is a not only a sight to see, but a decent place to try a bunch of Hungarian foods all in one row of food stands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.