Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Army Knives at Flughafen Zürich

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Swiss Army Knives at Flughafen Zürich

When I departed from Zürich last week, I noticed that one could buy various Swiss Army Knives from almost any non-food retailer inside the sterile area. Since you can't take them through the security checkpoint, doesn't it seem counterintuitive to offer them for sale in the gate area?

I may be missing something here, but I thought most of these had blades longer than 6cm.

Example of the airside Victorinox store:
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
You can take Swiss army knives through checkpoints in Switzerland, at least some of the knives, presumably with shorter blades. You'll probably find that the store only has a small selection of knives. Victorinox also sell and market a bunch of other goods (as can be seen in the photo).
Note, if you do buy a knife, you will almost certainly not get it through any further security points you will be going through on your journey.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
As catandmouse stated, knives are allowed through security:

Containers with more than 100 ml of liquids, as well as knives and scissors with blades over 6 cm in length, are only permitted in checked baggage.
That means that knives up to 6 centimetres are fine, which covers Swiss Army Knives. I think the regulations are similar for many (or at least some) European airports. I've certainly been able to take a Swiss Army Knife through security in Hamburg – I forgot I was carrying it and prepared for it to be confiscated and was surprised to be told that it was fine.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a similar store in the Geneva airport. Support your local industry!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by waffle
As catandmouse stated, knives are allowed through security:

That means that knives up to 6 centimetres are fine, which covers Swiss Army Knives. I think the regulations are similar for many (or at least some) European airports. I've certainly been able to take a Swiss Army Knife through security in Hamburg – I forgot I was carrying it and prepared for it to be confiscated and was surprised to be told that it was fine.
The only popular Victorinox that's in the category that makes it fall under the 6cm rule is Classic SD, and the blades included in the credit card sized set. Last time i was at ZRH their main offering was far more then Classics. They supposedly even sell some of the Victorinox knifes as duty free on some flights (i've only seen pictures and haven't experienced it myself, so take it with a grain of salt).

The offering at the airside Victorinox shop i took photo of last time:

Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by upgrdpl
They supposedly even sell some of the Victorinox knifes as duty free on some flights .
Certainly not these?

Name:  WP_20160927_16_58_25_Pro.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  226.2 KB
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by upgrdpl
The only popular Victorinox that's in the category that makes it fall under the 6cm rule is Classic SD, and the blades included in the credit card sized set.
I don't think so. I just measured my Spartan and the larger of the two blades is just about exactly 6 cm. As far as I'm aware, they use the same blades in all of their Swiss Army Knives.

On a somewhat related note, what knives do chefs in airside restaurants use?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by waffle
... a somewhat related note, what knives do chefs in airside restaurants use?
And policemen when airside?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There is a similar store in the Geneva airport. Support your local industry!
What exactly do you mean when you say local? SFO?

I had a need for 5 of the regular Swiss army knives and wanted to buy them in Zürich, given that they are meant to be a Swiss product after all. I was in transit and my bags were checked through so I could not put them in my checked baggage.

I was not sure about the rules regarding security then, so was reluctant to buy landside. But I then discovered the existence of the airside shop so I decided to have a look. They were selling the knives I wanted for CHF 27 each.

So I decided to support my local industry by buying exactly the same product from a reseller in London for GBP 10 each (at the time, the exchange rate was about 1.5 - important to mention nowadays )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.