Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car or train from Melk to Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Car or train from Melk to Vienna?

Can anyone give advice on going to Vienna from Melk? Will have a rental car and could drive into Vienna or would it be better & more convenient to take a train? Will only be spending the day there and returning to Melk in the evening.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just did the reverse last week. The train was incredibly easy. Here's my experience so you can imagine the reverse.

Assumes you are staying near the Abbey in Melk, which is not too far from the train station.

I stayed between the Stadtpark and Stubentor U-Bahn stops. Took the U-Bahn to Hauptbahnhof for a 10:00 train to Melk, with a transfer in St. Polten. On the way back, took a direct train to Westbahnhof, then the U-Bahn to Stubentor. Trains both ways leave about every 30 minutes, so no disadvantage there over driving. About a 1-hour trip.

The abbey was about a 5 minute walk from the station through town to the base of the hill, and then a fairly good climb up the hill. Much easier on the way down of course.

For me, the hike up the hill was part of the fun.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: *G
either is about the same , theres not really much to it. trains are a straight shot and plentiful and clean.

street parking is really scarce in the city, so if you choose to drive, head for a public garage and route your gps directly to it.

id probably train, if only to enjoy wines before getting there and before heading back
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Based on the advice from both of you, I'm leaning towards the train. Would it be best for us to take it to the Hbf stop? We want to go to the center to do a little sightseeing (the Palace, for one), lunch, maybe some shopping. Would it be worth it, for such a short time to get in a team and ride around the Ring? (Is that possible?)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:52 am

if you mean Schonbrunn palace - the #1 tourist destination...

on the direct train, the penultimate stop is Hutteldorf, where you can take the U4 directly to the palace

if you take either of the connection, stop at Meidling, and follow the underground over... or easier take very short walk over
the Ring road meter by meter houses some of the most impressive building anywhere. the main palace is far away and quite large. if you want to maximize time, head straight for HBF, walk north through the belvedere SUMMER palace complex, up to the ring, then take tram 1/2/71/D whatever is there, that will circle most of the ring (including the hofburg IMPERIAL palace) .... stop for lunch as you feel

for shopping and/or lunch you go west up Mariahilfer street (branches off the Ring). return to HBF with 13A bus.

tons of eating around that place, but something you might want to try is along Spittelberg street, or at Glacis Beisl nearby
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:34 am

Actually the U4 from Hutteldorf to Schonbrunn is closed for repairs for the summer. They had a bus running between there last week.

For either Schonbrunn or the Hofburg, you can take the direct train all the way to Westbahnhof and transfer to the U-bahn from there. From Hbf, it's just a little longer, I believe it connects with the U3 then transfer at Karlsplatz. Depending on which train you take, just look at a U-bahn map, it's easy to figure out. Or transfer at Meidling as suggested above.

If you meant the Hofburg palace, I will point out that the National Library next door has an interesting exhibit on Franz Joseph (in the gorgeous State Hall), if that interests you at all. We were pleasantly surprised, as we really just wanted to see the room.

I second the Glacis Beisl suggestion, it's right by all the museums so directly in your path.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:33 pm

If you don't have a heavy itinerary in Wien then forget the car and take the train+subway/trams
Trains are comfy, clean and usually on time. Same for the public transport in the city.
Parking in the city center can often be a pain in the .... And if you come from Northern America, manual transmission cars, toll roads and 6$ / gal gas price will make you crazy.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

With about 8 hours in Vienna, would I have enough time to do Schonbrunn & Hofburg? Or, should I skip one of them? I do like the idea of the proximity of the museums and Opera House to the Hofburg.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
With about 8 hours in Vienna, would I have enough time to do Schonbrunn & Hofburg? Or, should I skip one of them? I do like the idea of the proximity of the museums and Opera House to the Hofburg.
It depends on your pace of course. If you do the shorter, 22 room, tour in Schonbrunn, and spend a little time in the gardens, I think you can definitely do both.

It's a tough call though. There's so much to do in such a small area in the city center vs. going out to Schonbrunn, and you don't have much time. As impressive as Schonbrunn is, I think I'd consider spending it all around Hofburg. Right across the street/square you have St. Michael's, and another block or two away is St. Peters. A few more blocks and you're at St. Stephens which is amazing.

In the other direction from Hofburg, you have the Spanish Riding School, National Library, Rathaus, and the Opera House within a few blocks, along with some of the museums.

If it were me, and I were trying to get in as much as possible I think I might start at Hofburg, see St. Michaels, St. Peters, and St. Stephens, then make my way over to Glacis Beisl for lunch. Maybe a museum and the Opera House after that. But I tend to go through museums quickly, and lunches slowly . If you end up in that area, you're close to the Karlsplatz station for your return to Melk.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:54 am

schonnbrunn is not that far, but if you add up the time transiting there and back, and time needed to cover the huge gardens and grounds of the palace, and the fatigue... not worth it. never a big fan of that place, anyway. pick hofburg and all the surrounding buildings, parlament, rathaus, etc, which gives you choice to tick them off at your leisure
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks JBord and deniah for the invaluable tips. I'll follow your advice to skip Schönbrunn and concentrate on the area by the Hofburg.

Looking at the morning train schedule for 8- 9:00-ish, I see trains going to the Meidling station or the Hbf. Which would be the better choice for the Hofburg?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:55 pm

Meidling, Switch to Underground Brown line and then the orange takes u right to museumquarter next to hofburg

Or Hbf, take red line to Karlsplatz (on the ring) and start the walk or any Tram to Traverse the ring

Dead coinflip.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:59 pm

Thanks JBord and deniah for the invaluable tips. I'll follow your advice to skip Schönbrunn and concentrate on the area by the Hofburg.

Looking at the morning train schedule for 8- 9:00-ish, I see trains going to the Meidling station or the Hbf. Which would be the better choice for the Hofburg?
Hbf is a little easier. In fact, I'd suggest going to Hbf, which connects with U4, and then take the U4 straight to Stephansplatz. You get to see St. Stephens as you exit, and it's a nice walk just a couple blocks to Hofburg.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
Meidling, Switch to Underground Brown line and then the orange takes u right to museumquarter next to hofburg

Or Hbf, take red line to Karlsplatz (on the ring) and start the walk or any Tram to Traverse the ring

Dead coinflip.
Or this .

Just an extra transfer this way.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah

Dead coinflip.
I'll use my coin flip app when I get on the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.