Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting at AMS, looking for airside shower facilities

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
To check any luggage, you will have to clear immigration, go land side, and then clear security to go back air-side, after that since you will be in the Schengen departures area, you will not have access to the Yotel/Mercure any more.
Thank you for letting me know.

No idea if that early in the morning the security queues are already as bad as they are later in the day, I would re-consider using hand luggage that will be allowed on OS
In April, I arrived for a 9:30am flight at 6:30 on a Wednesday and check in for Delta was mobbed. I didn't remember security being packed however. Now I know.

1. Clear arrival immigration to enter the NL, and with 1 out of the 3 checkpoints closed I can imagine it can take some time, you also loose all the benefit you have as the BOS flight is one of the first to arrive by delaying yourself airside for a shower.
Closed?? So 1 of them will be closed next week too?

2. Queue for OS check-in, no idea how long that will take
I will have checked in online. It will just be a bag dropoff. I wonder if they have separate lines for that.

3. Queue for Schengen departure security, which by time the queue can easily be 45 minutes or longer
Ok.

So a worse-case scenario if your BOS flight is on-time
1. Flight lands on-time (it generally lands early it seems), 05:50
2. Arrival to the gate after taxi from Polderbaan, 06:05
3. Gate open, you are in the terminal, 06:15
4. You get to the yotel/mercure, 06:25
5. You finish your shower and get to immigration, 07:00, now you are behind several flights arriving from the far-east/Africa/US
6. You clear immigration, 07:45
7. You finish check-in at the OS counter, 08:15
8. You clear security, 09:15
This confuses me. I would go for a shower before going through immigration after I land at AMS? I thought lining up to have the passport stamped at immigration as I enter a Schengen country would happen as soon I got off the plane. So if I want to go through immigration first, I have to forego a shower?

So it is doable, however it will be tight, and delays in the DL flight will now mean that you are likely to miss the OS flight, I would not plan such a connection if it requires going land-side.

If already going land-side, you might want to consider using the Sheraton for the showers, the immigration queues should be much better as the BOS flight is one of the first to arrive in the morning.
As you said above, if I stop at the Yotel or Mercure first, Asian/African/North American flights will now be in front of me at the immigration lines so it won't matter. Is that correct?

Last edited by Analise; Oct 12, 2016 at 7:27 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Analise
Thank you for letting me know.
Closed?? So 2 of them will be closed next week too?

I will have checked in online. It will just be a bag dropoff. I wonder if they have separate lines for that.

This confuses me. I would go for a shower before going through immigration after I land at AMS? I thought lining up to have the passport stamped at immigration as I enter a Schengen country would happen as soon I got off the plane. So if I want to go through immigration first, I have to forego a shower?

As you said above, if I stop at the Yotel or Mercure first, Asian/African/North American flights will now be in front of me at the immigration lines so it won't matter. Is that correct?

Passport control at the D-pier is closed until the end of this year, this mostly has an impact for passengers who arrive from a non-Schengen flight.

No 'seperate' lines for baggage drop off. If you didn't need to drop off luggage you probally wouldn't visit those desks anyway

Yes Yotel/Mercure is airside just outside KL lounge 52, non-Schengen area. You are allowed to roam freely through lounge 2/3 once you leave the plane.
However you only have a BP for a connecting Schengen flight so once you go through passport control they most likely will not allow you back into the non-Schengen area.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Passport control at the D-pier is closed until the end of this year, this mostly has an impact for passengers who arrive from a non-Schengen flight.

No 'seperate' lines for baggage drop off. If you didn't need to drop off luggage you probally wouldn't visit those desks anyway

Yes Yotel/Mercure is airside just outside KL lounge 52, non-Schengen area. You are allowed to roam freely through lounge 2/3 once you leave the plane.
However you only have a BP for a connecting Schengen flight so once you go through passport control they most likely will not allow you back into the non-Schengen area.
I will change my carry on bag to one that fits the OS dimensions so I won't be checking in anything. But I also have a day bag with which I travel which is larger than the size allowed for purses. Will they be monitoring the dimensions too?

Last edited by Analise; Oct 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

It looks like my OS flight will be at the B gates at AMS.

Just so I understand and I apologize for my confusion, after departing my DL flight from BOS, in what order do I go through immigration, get a shower, go to passport control, more security if any, and go to the OS assigned gate? Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:16 am

I will change my carry on bag to one that fits the OS dimensions so I won't be checking in anything. But I also have a day bag with which I travel which is larger than the size allowed for purses. Will they be monitoring the dimensions too?
Most of the time not, no guarantees

It looks like my OS flight will be at the B gates at AMS.

Just so I understand and I apologize for my confusion, after departing my DL flight from BOS, in what order do I go through immigration, get a shower, go to passport control, more security if any, and go to the OS assigned gate? Thanks.

Alrighty, you most likely arrive at the E or D gates. Remember you will stay airside during your whole stay.
From there follow the directions towards the F-gates/KLM lounge 52. When you arrive near the lounge 52 you go upstairs towards it. More or less in front of the KL lounge 52 you will find the Mercure hotel with showers (see map).
After taking a shower you may head to the B, C gates (downstairs again) (transfers). At the beginning of the D gates you will find the non-Schengen - Schengen transfer border/passport control that leads you from the non-Schengen to the Schengen area (your still airside and will stay airside). After apssport control you head towards the B-gates (or go for some shopping/a meal)

Linkie Schiphol map with lounges etc to make it easier:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/At...AndLounges.htm

Short version:
Deplane -> Mercure hotel & shower -> transfer (non-Schengen-Schengen) & passport control -> B gates (all airside, no security involved)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much. That's what I'll do.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Most of my times at AMS, they don't ask me for a boarding pass to go from the Schengen to non-Schengen side. But sometimes they do ask, at least some others. In other words, use the showers at Mercure before going landside and/or entering Schengen.

My last few US-AMS-ARN/CDG/CPH/TXL/FCO/VIE/GVA flights didn't involve having to reclear security at AMS even when the onward connection from AMS was separately ticketed and involved no checked luggage. Just passport control at AMS. This change at AMS is one of the few reasons why I have been using AMS a despite what was a growing distaste for flying via AMS back to the US.

Online/app checkin for OS flights intra-Europe works well enough for me.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most of my times at AMS, they don't ask me for a boarding pass to go from the Schengen to non-Schengen side. But sometimes they do ask, at least some others. In other words, use the showers at Mercure before going landside and/or entering Schengen.
I will.

I reached out to the Mercure who told me they have 8 showers. That's 6 more than the Yotel.

My last few US-AMS-ARN/CDG/CPH/TXL/FCO/VIE/GVA flights didn't involve having to reclear security at AMS even when the onward connection from AMS was separately ticketed and involved no checked luggage. Just passport control at AMS. This change at AMS is one of the few reasons why I have been using AMS a despite what was a growing distaste for flying via AMS back to the US.
On my return from VIE, I will arrive at AMS the night before as I have a morning flight to JFK. I remember how chaotic the check-in was when I was at AMS for the same morning flight in April. With one pier of passport control now closed, I wonder how early I need to arrive for a 9:30am flight. Any idea or guess?

Online/app checkin for OS flights intra-Europe works well enough for me.
That's good to know! I don't have the app. Can I just check in on their mobile site or is it better to download the app?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:35 am

I will.
With one pier of passport control now closed, I wonder how early I need to arrive for a 9:30am flight. Any idea or guess?
It's only inbound immigration that is affected, outbound should be business as usual.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
It's only inbound immigration that is affected, outbound should be business as usual.
I wasn't clear. I meant for my DL flight to JFK a few days later which is at 09:30. I'll be staying overnight at an AMS hotel so I will be arriving locally via a shuttle van. What time should I arrive at AMS to check in and go through security & immigration given that one passport control area is now closed until December?

--------

But first, just so I am sure, there is no way I can stay in the secured area and just give my pullman to the gate agent to check as I've already paid for check in? I'm willing to pay extra if the amount is €45. From OS: http://www.austrian.com/Info/Flying/..._lang=en&cc=US

Specifically, my original bag's total measurement (length + width = height) is 118 cm. If I took the bag to the gate, it looks like they would charge my €45 as it is well within their excess maximum of 158cm. Is that correct? I'm willing to pay €45. Thank you.

Last edited by Analise; Oct 14, 2016 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
As stated by Ditto, only inbound immigration is closed, outbound immigration is unaffected.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
As stated by Ditto, only inbound immigration is closed, outbound immigration is unaffected.
Ok. I understand that with regards to my flying back to JFK from AMS as I'll be in Hoofddorp the night before.

Going back to Grouchy's flow chart recommendation, after the shower at Mercure, I'll go to passport control which is affected by the closure at D.

Last edited by Analise; Oct 15, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
It doesn't matter to your flow that passport control at D is closed, you can clear immigration at any of the other checkpoints.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:11 am

Ok. I understand that with regards to my flying back to JFK from AMS as I'll be in Hoofddorp the night before.

Going back to Grouchy's flow chart recommendation, after the shower at Mercure, I'll go to passport control which is affected by the closure at D.
Won't effect you as you don't go landside. You transfer non-Schengen - Schengen all airside.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
It doesn't matter to your flow that passport control at D is closed, you can clear immigration at any of the other checkpoints.
Won't effect you as you don't go landside. You transfer non-Schengen - Schengen all airside.
Ok so the passport control/immigration at D being closed won't affect me this coming Thursday morning. Thank you both.

Just to confirm, D's closure also won't affect me when arriving at AMS from a local hotel on 25 Oct to fly on Delta to JFK?

Also, just to confirm, will taking the time to shower at Mercure (or Yotel) make me risk longer lines at passport control/immigration because more flights will have arrived?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.