Search

Online Vienna street maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Online Vienna street maps

I'm looking for two types of Vienna street maps:

The first is an offline street map -- I want a great streep map that I can use even if I have no wifi access.

The second is an online street map that will provide directions with both public transportation & walking options including out to Schloss Schönbrunn and VIE.

Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure if this meets your different criteria, but I use the CityMaps2Go app when I'm in Europe. I use it mainly the street maps, but I'm sure other features if you want to check it out.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Why not just use good old Google Maps? You can specify offline areas with it, which works fantastic with GPS even without internet acccess.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:03 pm
Suspended

OP VIE is simple its either the CAT non-stop train to its station in town(which is right by Stadpark and The Hilton Stadpark) or I believe its the S7 train slow train 1/2 price to make a few stops along the way which allows the CAT to pass by and takes all of 16 extra mins, and stops at Wein Mitte which is across the street from the CAT. Both have the U3 subway train right there

For Schonbrumn its the U4

I usually pull up the map on my hotels site and it will show me what if any stations are nearby. Then go to www.vienna.info pull up the public transport map and I figure out which line uses the station close to my hotel or in this case if the U4 is walkable

Offline, I usually just pick up a map or 2 from the Tourist Info booth/desk at the airport, and then at the hotel check to see if they have a better one

This is exactly what I did since I will be @ The Park Hyatt in a few weeks time and wanted to do a day tour to Brno. Trains besides being expensive had lousy times , so it will be by bus which is 1/6 the price for all of an extra 20 mins. Once I knew what station was close to the bus terminal, I went onto the hotels map and worked my way around till I found it and with the map on v.i worked out which U lines I need and which would be the best to use
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I'm definitely taking S7 from VIE to Wien Mitte and would like to find a Ubahn or tram to my hotel which is a 2 minute walk from Stephansplatz. Google maps didn't offer any advice.

The U4 seems to be under long-term construction. I'll be in Vienna during the 3rd week of October so will I be able to take it for Schönbrunn?

Also I'll be going to a Friday night performance of Le Nozze di Figaro at the Wiener Staatsoper and I'm hoping there is a tram or bus I could take back to my hotel which is, as I mentioned above, a 2 minute walk from Stephansplatz. I'd rather not walk alone at night for 15 minutes as I am unfamiliar with the area. Google maps didn't offer anything.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
The U4 seems to be under long-term construction. I'll be in Vienna during the 3rd week of October so will I be able to take it for Schönbrunn?
May I ask where you learned this? I'll be in Vienna in about a week and hadn't even considered that there may be shutdowns. Thank you.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:52 am
Suspended

Thanks.

I'm definitely taking S7 from VIE to Wien Mitte and would like to find a Ubahn or tram to my hotel which is a 2 minute walk from Stephansplatz. Google maps didn't offer any advice.

Also I'll be going to a Friday night performance of Le Nozze di Figaro at the Wiener Staatsoper and I'm hoping there is a tram or bus I could take back to my hotel which is, as I mentioned above, a 2 minute walk from Stephansplatz. I'd rather not walk alone at night for 15 minutes as I am unfamiliar with the area. Google maps didn't offer anything.
Theres a stop on the U3 line (which has a station LandtraBe/Wein Mitte ) @ Stephansplatz , its the 2nd stop Towards Ottakring

No idea about any construction is there is or isnt

Sorry no idea where the Wiener Staatsoper is if its not for the night you arrive the Info desk or your hotel should beable to show you everything
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
No idea about any construction is there is or isnt
Originally Posted by JBord
May I ask where you learned this? I'll be in Vienna in about a week and hadn't even considered that there may be shutdowns. Thank you.
I learned about the U4 on their local public transportation website.

https://www.wien.gv.at/english/trans...rnisation.html

They talk about "modernization" projects on the U4 with varying end dates because of what looks like extensive work being done. They list stages of construction up to 2024.

Theres a stop on the U3 line (which has a station LandtraBe/Wein Mitte ) @ Stephansplatz , its the 2nd stop Towards Ottakring
Ok, so I can take the U3 from the Opera house to Stephansplatz? Is the Ubahn safe late at night for a woman traveling alone? I just want to be sure. Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Openstreetmaps has an app called OSMAnd for android. I assume they have something for apple as well. It lets you download offline maps.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:01 am

I learned about the U4 on their local public transportation website.

https://www.wien.gv.at/english/trans...rnisation.html

They talk about "modernization" projects on the U4 with varying end dates because of what looks like extensive work being done. They list stages of construction up to 2024.
Thanks for the link. It does indeed look like the Schonbrunn station is included in the closure, which is due to end 4 Sept. You may want to check for an update before you go to Vienna. Unfortunately that doesn't help me. It appears I can only get as far as Meidling Hauptstraße, and then perhaps a bus will be available?

The walk from there to Schonbrunn would typically be fine for me, but I'll be with someone who has trouble walking long distances.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Ok, so I can take the U3 from the Opera house to Stephansplatz? Is the Ubahn safe late at night for a woman traveling alone? I just want to be sure. Thanks.
From the Opera House its the U1 line for 2 stops but its a very short walk and Im sure there will be plenty of people walking in your direction. If my wife asked me what to do Id tell her to walk it Im sure you will say the same once youre over there and see that the streets you will walking down are major streets with people walking on them

The U3 is what you need from Wien Mitte

also bear in mind that the S7 doesnt end at Wien Mitte so you have to stay alert its the stop after Renweg (renway)

If the U4 station isnt open then I believe from Westbahnhof (West Train Station) theres the #58 tram, just check with your hotel. You take the U3 to Westbahnhof which is the end of the line for the U3 and apx 5 stops from Stephansplatz. The tram wont be the fastest way to get there but will get you there

Last edited by craz; Aug 9, 2016 at 7:47 am
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:03 am

If the U4 station isnt open then I believe from Westbahnhof (West Train Station) theres the #58 tram, just check with your hotel. You take the U3 to Westbahnhof which is the end of the line for the U3 and apx 5 stops from Stephansplatz. The tram wont be the fastest way to get there but will get you there
Yes, I just figured this out as I was searching through the maps this morning. It appears the 52/58 trams may run along the same line for a while, but this is the one that gets you closest to Schonbrunn. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:42 am

For a good offline map, go with Google Maps.

For figuring out public transport in Vienna (and the rest of Austria) download the ÖBB SCOTTY App.
It's easy to use and will provide you with up to date schedule information.

Regarding the U4 closure, this does only affect the stations from Schönbrunn onwards. Schönbrunn station itself should be open.
All stations closed are currently served by bus line U4Z which is running parallel to the closed U4 tracks.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Revilo199
Regarding the U4 closure, this does only affect the stations from Schönbrunn onwards. Schönbrunn station itself should be open.
All stations closed are currently served by bus line U4Z which is running parallel to the closed U4 tracks.
From the website provided above, I read this as the station is closed as well:

"From 2 July, the closure was extended to include Schönbrunn station."

It would be great to confirm that it is just the onward stations that are closed.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:00 am

There is somewhat of a fixation in catching the S7 from airport to city on this forum!

If I were staying near Stephansplatz, I would take the non-stop half-hourly Railjet or InterCity train to Wien Hauptbahnhof, and then the U1 to Stephansplatz. Way more comfortable than the S7 - which can get horribly crowded, especially in rush-hour.

On the long-distance trains, however, you are guaranteed a seat since they are sparsely utilised as far as the Hauptbahnhof.

The fares and tariff system are identical to the S7. So: one-way ticket EUR 3.90 to anywhere in Zone 100; or day (or other passes) for zone 100 + supplement to Vienna city boundary (EUR 1.70).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.